Analysis: Taiwan's future depends on Taiwanese will

Well it’s from been a decades for him, and I think it depends on your position. My dad was on one of those island near China so they trained more I think.

1 Like

Truth is its far more difficult to take the island, then most of you seem to realize. It’s much eassier to defend it.

2 Likes

Well, we won’t know for sure until it actually happens.

Why would they return? Richmond is a better Taiwan!!!

1 Like

In MANY ways it really is
Hahaha

I really wonder what percentage of males actually attend the military service requirement. Among our friends almost none of their sons have done military service. Somehow they get some “special” exemptions. Of course, some exemptions are health related but seem extremely easy to obtain. One friend’s sons received medical exemptions for ailments which suddenly appeared two months before military service…but somehow managed to do their twice annual snow skiing trip in Japan at the same time they would have been doing their military service.

My point is the percentage of males who know how to operate a gun (or have forgotten) may be low…and a good portion of them may be abroad.

Sadly, I agree. I have a large extended family in Taiwan.
Not one of them, over a wide range of age and education, would resist.
Primary concern is a full rice bowl.

Military service in Taiwan is nonsense.
Citizens of Switzerland and Israel, tiny nations surrounded by much larger nations, are prepared to defend their countries. Taiwan has one enemy. No one, or only a miniscule percent of the population, has any knowledge of guns or armed defense. With a powerful enemy as PRC, it is impossible to understand why everyone is sleeping.

…Probably because a large % of the population aren’t up for a real fight.

Agreex, it’s impossible to assemble an invasion force without being spotted far in advance.

On the other hand Taiwan can be smashed to smithereens with relatively little trouble.

Any armed services who has not experienced real warfare is at a disadvantage. While China has not had recent clashes they have had various major conflicts (e.g. India, Russia, U.S.) and have so many other advantages.

I do not remember what year but remember when a Chinese pilot flew his fighter jet to Taiwan (20 years ago?). The Taiwan air force held a press conference and admitted they only noticed the jet as he was preparing to land in Taiwan.

No PLA can occupy the island of Taiwan as long as I’m defending it. This is a fact.

People with access to guns have talked that way to me. Where I come from, it’s called blowing off steam. Then everyone calms down and we get on with life.

You actually get scared over mere talk? Seriously. The really dangerous ones don’t go warning you. If they’re actually going to shoot you, then they’re going to actually shoot you.

A large percentage isn’t needed. A fraction of a percent will do the job just fine.

The difference is that Israel is surrounded by maniacs. The ChiComs aren’t maniacs; they’re just assholes. They can be deterred. Shoot enough of them and the rest will leave.

I was writing about national defense. I live in farm country. Everyone has one, two, sometimes more, guns for hunting. We kill Turkey, Geese, Fox, Rabbit, Raccoon. & Deer. No people…yet. Taiwan is threatened by China. Wishing will not change facts. The PLA will not come bearing marshmallows.

Sadly, you are correct.

Yes, Richmond Vancouver is a good place to live…If you have money.
However, that does not address the question of who will defend Taiwan.
Of course, Japan and USA will not just stand by and watch.
Initially, however, folks on the island should be prepared for battle: They are not.

A hunting rifle can be used by militia in a set piece battle, especially in open country. But if your country is already occupied, and you’re in a maze of narrow, crooked alleyways, what you need is concealed carry.

Rabbits run away, but they don’t shoot back. Military police don’t run away, but they do shoot back.

Given a great deal of luck, you can do without a ranged weapon at all. If you don’t trust luck quite that much, you want a .38.

In practical terms, you want a lot of small handguns in a lot of hands. The point is not to give the guy with the rifle time to see you and aim.

Now the aboriginals up in the hills could maybe use hunting rifles. But they’ve got very little up there that needs defending or recapturing. The hydroelectric, and that’s about it. In the rice paddy areas, guys with rifles would get run over by tanks. In the cities, the guy with the .38, a speedloader and a lot of nerve has the edge.