Android Pie 9.0

Samsung S9+ with CHT upgraded to Pie today.

xD

What are the changes?

Presumably it runs 3x slower and crashes twice as often.

A very noticeable change is optional dark mode. Instead of all white, screens are all dark screens. Really pleasing to the eye. This is probably the only real major noticeable change. So if you don’t have it yet you’re not visibly missing a lot.

Seems to run more crisp one day in.

Freagin hate using iOS on iPad. Too clunky, not user friendly interface compared to Android which just does more.

1 Like

Finally! I use Nova launcher and set it on night mode, but it doesn’t apply to all apps. Most notably the YouTube app. The Samsung browser has a night mode. Wish everything did.

I’ve just updated it.
Another noticeable change is the camera. Now the photo and video are in different screens. I didn’t like it.

I didn’t like it at first but actually it’s better because sometimes I think I’m doing video and only doing a photo or vice versa. Now there’s no question.

Try this close up setting.

Screenshot_20190207-133948_Camera

20190207_131748

20190207_134450

20190207_133156~2

20190207_131843

It was there before as 2x zoom, no?

Maybe. The button is easy to locate.

Who stole my PIE?

My S7 has a magnifier function. But it only seems to be available by adding the widget to a home screen and not through the camera app. It works really well, though.

It’s only digital zoom, not optical.

Navigating in split screen between multiple apps is mucked up.

Old style is better.

I think these are Samsung overlays not Android.

Not for Note 8, S9+ and the like. The 2x zoom is optical.

That’s an improvement.

I’m completely content with my Huawei P20 Pro. Been cruising Android 9.0 for a while now. Everything is buttery smooth.
Cameras on it are amazing:
MAIN CAMERA
Triple Lenses:
40 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/1.7", OIS, PDAF/Laser AF

20 MP B/W, f/1.6, 27mm (wide), 1/2.7", OIS, PDAF/Laser AF

8 MP, f/2.4, 80mm (telephoto), 1/4", 3x optical zoom, OIS, PDAF/Laser AF

Leica optics, LED flash, HDR, panorama

Video Capabilities:
2160p@30fps, 1080p@60fps, 1080p@30fps (gyro-EIS), 720p@960fps

SELFIE CAMERA
24 MP, f/2.0, 26mm (wide) with Leica optics

Video Capabilities
1080p@30fps

Not to mention the beast of battery it has: 4000 mAh battery
Fast battery charging 4.5V/5A 22.5W (58% in 30 min)

All the hype about China spying on Huawei users is nonsense too. I switched from HTC and never going back.

The recent apps/app switcher button really irritating now. It used to show all the recent apps, now it just shows one and glimpses of two others and and then need to scroll and can’t even identify them sometimes. It has changed my whole workflow.

Yeah, I noticed that too, but I already got used to it

Anyone tried removing the navigation bar and only using gestures without using buttons? It’s different.

Settings>Display>Navigation Bar>Full screen gestures