Angling in Taiwan

Is there much decent angling to be done here? Every time I’ve happened upon people fishing they seemed to be targeting wee sardine-like things for the soup pot that we Saffers use as bait or toss back in the ocean. Any real fish around? I really miss the tranquility of sitting on a rock or a beach with a line in the water. Can’t really think of any other reasons to sit on a rock or a beach.
I’m catch and release, btw.

Then what’s the point?
You might as well fish the “sardines”.
I don’t think I’d eat anything out of the rivers here though, doesn’t look too clean to me, yet I see loads of locals here fishing something in the rivers…

Then what’s the point?[/quote]

The point is, that after a hearty battle with a formiddable foe on ultra-light tackle you release the kid back to the ocean and say “well played”. Kinda like shaking hands after a rugby match.

Then what’s the point?[/quote]

The point is, that after a hearty battle with a formiddable foe on ultra-light tackle you release the kid back to the ocean and say “well played”. Kinda like shaking hands after a rugby match.[/quote]

Rugby is a perverse pastime that has nothing whatsoever to do with fishing. Which is not a sport, but a means of gathering sustenance.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]

Rugby is a perverse pastime that has nothing whatsoever to do with fishing. Which is not a sport, but a means of gathering sustenance.[/quote]
“Fishing” is a means of gathering sustenance. “Angling” is a sport.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]

Rugby is a perverse pastime that has nothing whatsoever to do with fishing. Which is not a sport, but a means of gathering sustenance.[/quote]
“Fishing” is a means of gathering sustenance. “Angling” is a sport.[/quote]

Ok, I’ll buy that line.
But why would one want to ‘angle’? Couldn’t one get the same satisfaction from flying a kite or chasing butterflies?

Stop "bait"ing me, Mr Ginger. Get “reel”. That “line” is old. I’ll “tackle” you with my “rod”.

Have you ever tried to hold and drink a beer while doing either of those activities? FFS, you have to explain everything around here to this city bumpkins. :unamused: :laughing:

Have you ever tried to hold and drink a beer while doing either of those activities? FFS, you have to explain everything around here to this city bumpkins. :unamused: :laughing:[/quote]
Heh heh! :smiley:

Have you ever tried to hold and drink a beer while doing either of those activities? FFS, you have to explain everything around here to this city bumpkins. :unamused: :laughing:[/quote]
why, yes, as a matter of fact I have…
I’m always holding and drinking. As for kites and butterflies, it’s all in the wrist, which must at all costs not even approach anything close to being limp.

Angling, it would appear, would be something designed by the idle rich who’ve never experienced real hunger or deprivation.

Arrrgghhhh! This thread is not for debating the moral/ethical issues of “angling”!
I just want to know where I can catch something other than minnows!

I’ll probably go for the tilapia in the sewer creeks when I start. They are large and feisty and I’ll see how feasible a trout line is.

If you are a salt water fisherman, then you might want to go to one of the small ports and see what renting out a boat would cost. You might also look into angling clubs.

I’d disagree and say it has more to do with what you want to do with the fish. I know exactly what I want to do with my sewer tilapia. The OP seems to be looking into sport or eating.

Although tilapia are notoriously strong fighters, your trout tackle should suffice. You gonna chuck flies at them or use bait? And I er wouldn’t eat them.

The real question is why one would release some finned creature that was haphazard enough to get emeshed in one of our webs.
Poor duck.

I didn’t tell you this but …

Surrounding the airport in Taoyuan are hundreds of ponds (well I say “ponds” but they take a good 10-15 minutes to walk around). Many of them are stocked with various kinds of farmed fish. Big, fat ones fed by a constant stream of food pellets launched into the water by automatic feeder machines. I’ve seen people sneakily fishing in them. The anglers usually stay away from the access roads and blend in among the tall grass and reeds. Presumably the anglers offer the fish something more appetizing then dried food pellets (worms maybe?). If you have a GPS, the ponds and access roads will be marked.

I’ve often thought of those wonderfully stocked fish pools myself. So little labor, so much easy fishin! :smiley:

I know a spot behind my place… I also didn’t say anything, but if its just for the sport… there are pan sized (not for the pan tho) indo tarpon on Keelung river (can you believe it) on lure obviously… fly would be better, but I dont see you having the space or wading into keelung.

I caught a 73cm and later a 74cm (big head - chinese da tou lien) both on one evening. I think I may have posted it on another thread here or elsewhere, but nobody cares. If you guys do I can show you… very fun on a trout rod. I’m way past tilapia, unless I’m really bored or there is not another fish in sight.

Mullet go for fly sometimes also… also in Keelung… The only reason the fish are still so big there is becoz… 1. you cant really fish there (I do) and 2. no “fishermen” fish there because they wanna eat their catch.

I havent fished since my girlfriend threw my lurebox into the ocean while trying to throw it towards me when asked. And then they was obviously the same time when I put my rod against my car to change lures, and the wind slammed my door on to the only rod that I own.

Hey man,

I couldn’t go angling in Taichung because i don’t have my rods, if it’s not mine, it’s not going to work.

Anyway, if you want to go fishing, mostly are small fishes, go down the harbour and get on those bamboo boat, they will take you to their oyster farm. All you have to do is sit there and fish. You can even have your pre-orded lunch box before they drop you off and they will bring it to you when it’s lunch time, well if you can stay for that long.

Cheers.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]

Well, the crowd at next week’s Hong Kong Sevens might not agree.

Let me know when you are going fishing, I"ll come with you, I have a friend who goes fishing alot and he knows where to go. He does have his own fishing pond, but that’s not where we are going. He took me out to the bag once where you sit in a floating deck for like 3 hours or something.

Cheers.