Angling in Taiwan

Note there is a moratorium of fishing in most rivers. Hmm, maybe the need for such an act has something to do with the fact jagoff anglers can only catch small fish? :unamused:

Is that still the case? I was editing a story about the credit crunch and about how the unpaid time off was creating an unsurge in the popularity of fishing. I mentioned this moratorium and how the entire thing is illegal, but the writer couldn’t find any officials at the forestry or water agencies who could corroborate. There are still many, many anglers out on the waters of all the streams I visit, btw.

Actually, I was wondering the same thing, as I too am seeing more fishermen out everywhere. Most places still have the signs though they could just be old (no one removes signs here, do they?). Hope they all eat what they catch (he he).

I’ve scoured all the angling/fishing threads but found no real information on where to buy fishing gear.

Anyone know of anywhere near Nehui where I could pick up some cheapish rods and reels for sea fishing in the Philippines?

Cheers

Roach

In the Philippines. They’ll be much cheaper there, and more suited to the kind of fishing you can do there.

Well, this next weekend I’m off to catch me some formosan landlocked salmon, their a bit on the small size so I plan to catch at least 4 or 5, chuck em on the bbq and they’ll be just fine.

[quote=“jimipresley”]Arrrgghhhh! This thread is not for debating the moral/ethical issues of “angling”!
I just want to know where I can catch something other than minnows![/quote]

Stay away from the Senior High school girls drinking fountains will ya

Now up in Alishan there are several clean fresh water steams and rivers, but als tourists are not allowed to fish in there. only locals like me with their ID Card addresses up here can legally do that.

I’m looking forward to my Formosan landlocked salmon, a little bit of butter and a squeeze of lemon - make you horny for week! :roflmao:

Cheaper maybe but the issue, from what I’ve been told, is quality not availability. So, I’d like to get something here thats got some quality and will last.

So, anyone know anywhere in Neihu or thereabouts where I can find some rods?

Then you’re a complete fool. Let me guess: you’re probably fucking Scottish or some equally lame nationality.

Anyway, don’t know about Neihu, but if you walk from Biddle’s gaff back toward Xindien City Hall there are several shops including a Blue Way one which is good. About 5 minutes walk from Biddle’s.

What are the possibilities for nearshore and offshore fishing (especially fly fishing)? I’ve caught tuna, marlin, sailfish, mahi-mahi, striped bass, etc, fishing in Mexico, the Bahamas, Christmas Island and the US. Anything like that around Taiwan? I also practice catch-and-release (mostly) but sometimes bring home a nice tuna or mahi-mahi for the BBQ.

You could try contacting these guys.

http://www.fly-house.com/English%20index.htm

I intend to do so once I get myself sorted out with some gear here. Youy could also try the fishing store near Qilian station on the Tamshui line and talk to Andy (he speaks good English).

I am going to buy some lure fishing gear and just give it a go on some of the local rivers and nearby seaside areas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsTK4iXNYbM

Thanks qproy! I especially enjoyed that YouTube link. I don’t understand Mandarin, but I do understand “snakehead,” “spinner bait” and “c’mon baby”! Some things are universal. :bow:

I was recently (re)bitten by the angling bug and started searching out some decent fishing holes in my area. While you can find some productive wild ponds and lakes in Taiwan, recreational ponds are a good choice for a quick fishing fix. I came across one in Taoyuan county called Jinji Hu Fishing Pond that is cut above most recreational (pay) ponds. It’s stocked with largemouth bass (on the small side) and some fat tilapia. The owner is friendly and NT$300 gets you a whole day of fishing. It’s mostly catch-and-release, though you can take home one fish per angler.

Here is a map.

…and a more detailed write-up…

…and the tilapia I took home.

I thought I would throw up this video from last Saturday’s overnight fishing trip out of Keelung. We caught a load of cutlass fish (aka hairtail or bai dai yu), mackerel and a few bonito. These dusk-to-dawn trips are fairly cheap and a great way to spend a summer evening on the water. It takes a while to get to the actual fishing in the video. Once the fish start biting, you rarely think to grab the camera.

How much are the trips and do you have any numbers for boat captains?

Cost for the trip: NT$1,500 for boat (noodle dinner with fresh fish and squid included), NT$300 for rod and reel rental, NT$500 for jig, flies, weights and bait rig, and NT$200 for box of frozen bait. So, the total came to about NT$2,500 per person (not including beer).

I did a full write-up on the trip here.

The details of the trip were arranged through Edward Lee at Jigging Master.

Thanks for posting about this - it seems potentially a very cool thing to do, especially the next time my father or brother come out to visit me.

I’m glad you found it useful. It’s a great way to introduce family or friends to saltwater fishing in Taiwan. In fall and winter, a lot of boats start shifting back to offshore trips for bigger species like amberjack.

Do you get to keep the fish you caught?