Angling in Taiwan

Sure, my mother-in-law fried up the cutlass fish and my father-in-law made sashimi from the bonito. Not sure what happened to the mackerel I gave them.

Sashimi

My ice chest by the time we returned to port.

Cost for the trip: NT$1,500 for boat (noodle dinner with fresh fish and squid included), NT$300 for rod and reel rental, NT$500 for jig, flies, weights and bait rig, and NT$200 for box of frozen bait. So, the total came to about NT$2,500 per person (not including beer).

I did a full write-up on the trip here.

The details of the trip were arranged through Edward Lee at Jigging Master.[/quote]

Thanks. Looks like a great time and very reasonably priced. :thumbsup:

bump for merge

Has anyone ever seen a handcaster in Taiwan? I’ve never seen one in a tackle store and never anybody using one. I’m going to order one from Aus or NZ, which is ridiculous because the shipping cost will be around 4 times the purchase price, and they are all made in Taiwan or China anyway.

Cost for the trip: NT$1,500 for boat (noodle dinner with fresh fish and squid included), NT$300 for rod and reel rental, NT$500 for jig, flies, weights and bait rig, and NT$200 for box of frozen bait. So, the total came to about NT$2,500 per person (not including beer).

I did a full write-up on the trip here.

The details of the trip were arranged through Edward Lee at Jigging Master.[/quote]

Thanks. Looks like a great time and very reasonably priced. :thumbsup:[/quote]

it seems like an old thread, but are you guys “Trogdor” still going for such trips? is it easy to learn the basics? i have close to no experience… i used to go fishing when i was very young… but i loved to sit in a harbor with a simple rod for hours just to catch something…
anyone going for such trips anytime soon? and kind of interested in “teaching” the basics?

Anyone?

well even if it seems like no one is interested i will still update… i found a friend who goes for deep sea fishing… from 6am to 4pm i think… in jhunan… and there are several other boats doing that in hualien and in north Taipei… the one in jhunan charges around 2000 NTD… and they either sell or rent the equipment…
i am not sure when the next time is, but ill join for sure :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sorry I didn’t respond right away. I actually wrote up a response to your post on Friday, was logged off by the time I tried to post it and by then it was time to leave the office.

That sounds like a fair price for one of the boats out of Zhunan. I haven’t been out of that port before, but my fishing buddies in Hsinchu say those boats usually fish the wrecks and reefs in the area for small grouper and snapper. Let us know how it goes. My family responsibilities have severely cut into my fishing time these days.

Speaking of river fishing, here are some good spots for tarpon in Wugu that another fishing buddy recently tipped me off to. Tarpon are in the area through the end of December. Best times are a couple of hours before and after high tide.