Animal Welfare in Taiwan - Time for action!

Is there anything like this in kaohsiung? There are loads of very poorly looking strays down here, but not much it seems i can do, already own one stray cat with a wonky leg!

You know, I was thinking about a commercial - something where some hello kitty couple is looking at puppies in a pet shop, and the girl says “hao ke ai o!” (as they always do) and then them at home playing with their new puppy and then a shot of the dog grown up on the street picking through garbage, then a few shots of mangy strays, then a little few line lecture about not dumping dogs and about getting your dog neutered.

My lady, who knows something about the industry, says such things cost a hell of a lot, but we might be able to get contributors - if it could even be made, of course. Seems like the most effective way to get the message out, considering how much TV people watch. The Sunday edition of the Apple Daily would be another good medium…

All good ideas, Vay.

I have to keep it brief (working) but please come to the next meeting. I’ll send you details once it’s arranged.

You can PM me your email address and I’ll put you on the list.

For those of you that don’t know, we’re hoping to become a branch of http://www.animalsasia.org/. A small delegation will go to Hong Kong this month to get this set up ASAP.

Check out her (Jill Robinson’s) achievements. If she can do all that in China, then we can do similar over here.

Cheers!

Sean

Aah … a little over a year later, and I think we’ve done pretty well.

AnimalsTaiwan has ten or so key members, with an active network now of about fifty or so volunteers.

We have in Bali a holding facility for long-term cases.

We have rescued something in the region of 80 animals since our inception, and helped dozens more indirectly.

We hold weekly adoption events and fundraisers, and have appeared on TV four times and in national newspapers and magazines eight times.

AnimalsTaiwan is now looking to move in to dedicated premises, to be used as a holding facility and adoption centre for up to twenty-five dogs and twelve cats, and as an office and headquarters for our operations.

In a matter of weeks, we will be a fully registered non-profit organization.

All in all, I think we have done pretty well since that buzz of enthusiastic banter a little over a year ago. Thanks all of you who have made AnimalsTaiwan what it is. I look forward to giving you an even healthier report this time next year. :slight_smile:

Take care, all.

Sean

:bravo: Congratulations and good job!

Sean, I know you didn’t do all this by yourself, it took the help and dedication of many animal lovers, local and foreign combined… :bravo: :bravo:

BUT - I still think your one hell of a ring leader… :smiley:

You inspire people … :notworthy:

Thank-you and the dogs thank you!

Hi there Sean

I am JoAnne from Taichung. I believe that you sort of know me now. Anyways, I’ve been a cat foster for the past four years and have found homes for more then 120 cats here. I also doing TNR (known as trap, nuiter, retrun) here in Taichung city area. I’ve fixed 22 female cats. But there are just way too many here in Taiwan. I think would be great have this TNR program kick into the goverment then it will really cut down the number of stray cats or even dogs too.

I’ve already trainned two other foriegn friends here doing the same thing with me. Hopefully more people will join. Don’t know this would help but just meantion.

Wow!

When you list the accomplishments to date, in just a bit over a year, and announce plans for the future… you folks have done astonishingly well…

It seems that many of the groups and individuals all over Taiwan, both foriegn and local, are more networked and coordinated than ever, at least as far as I can remember.

Good work, all of you! :notworthy:

I had never seen this thread. It’s really inspiring to see what you guys have achieved. The people of AT and Minou too. It’s also interesting to get insights as to how AT started. It seems like it was yesterday.

I’m sure the same thing is possible in Kaohsiung and the timing couldn’t be better. I will be posting more about it very soon, all good news so far.

It’s heart-warming to read this thread btw. It truly is.

bobepine

[quote=“Minou”]Hi there Sean

I am JoAnne from Taichung. I believe that you sort of know me now. Anyways, I’ve been a cat foster for the past four years and have found homes for more then 120 cats here. I also doing TNR (known as trap, nuiter, retrun) here in Taichung city area. I’ve fixed 22 female cats. But there are just way too many here in Taiwan. I think would be great have this TNR program kick into the goverment then it will really cut down the number of stray cats or even dogs too.

I’ve already trainned two other foreign friends here doing the same thing with me. Hopefully more people will join. Don’t know this would help but just meantion.[/quote]

That’s an incredible achievment. Well done!!! :notworthy: :bravo:
You’re AWESOME!

[quote=“Minou”]Hi there Sean

I’ve already trainned two other foreign friends here doing the same thing with me. Hopefully more people will join. Don’t know this would help but just meantion.[/quote]

[color=brown]
[/color] cats??? :astonished:

:bravo: :notworthy: :bravo: :notworthy: :bravo: :notworthy:

That’s 120 cats who were facing a bleak and short future and who now have a happy and secure future, thanks to you.

It’s also at least four or five cat breeders you’ve put out of business! I’m serious; that’s 120 cats that weren’t bred for profit.

Great job, Minou. Can’t wait to meet you.

Sean

Thanks.
Well, it is not an easy thing to do in Taiwan. I usually post my adoption notes on most of Chinese animals adoption web sites then the adopters write to me to intrduce themselves. This way I can know the adopters and find out they are suitable to have a cat or not then they can sign a contract basicly to protect the kitties. Some of my Chinese friends up in Taipei have already got Mayor Ma’s support on doing TNR in Tanmu area I just think that Mayor Hu in Taichung City, he is very open minded and well educated. He may gives it a push but only me doing it its just not easy. Anyways, there is too much to say, just think something has to be done here because I’ve seen even worst thing then “dog eating dog” in Taiwan and China.

Hey, tell me more about Mayor Ma and TNR! Who has permission to do that? That’s what we want to be doing. But is it for dogs or cats?

sean
I know that my friends in Taipei they wrote to Mayor Ma and wrote a project plan or something. So far, only TNR on cats in Tan Mu area. I will get more details then tell you about it later.