Animal Welfare in Taiwan - Time for action!

Hi Animal Lovers!

We held our first “Love Taiwan Love Taiwan’s Animals” (name in progress) meeting on December 12, Sunday at Grandma Nitti’s.

In attendance were Stray Dog, Eric, Stragbasher, Bu Lai En, Juba, Smerf, and 914.

Many good ideas were thrown around. Some will be immediately feasible, some not. We are also going to get in touch with other local organizations and contact vets around Taibei to push the spay/neuter program.

If any of you are interested in LTLTA at all please feel free to contact any of us!

Ps. Someone was supposed to update this thread but hasn’t yet…?

Yes, I have writen up half of the minutes! I’ll have the rest up tonight.

A tad busy at work!

But the meeting went very well, and it’s good to see that Juba has been busy already. :slight_smile:

Will post more later.

Apologies all. :frowning:

LTLTA 1st Meeting

Maybe you guys could also get in touch with her?

[quote]Woman spares no expense to take care of homeless dogs
Date: 2004/12/20 10:18:24
SOURCE: United Daily News

Lee Kuan-chih is from a wealthy family involved in the steel industry. She often drives around in her expensive car looking for and picking up stray dogs. Recently, Lee has spent NT$500,000 (US$15,385) to fund the construction of a two-story shelter for the homeless animals.[/quote]

A young mecanic was entertaining himself by driving two straight fingers on each hand into a big huskie dogs eyes.

I was just reading “Shackleton” about a dog sled trip and how brave these dogs are.

He kept coming up to the man blinking his eyes. I went and got the boss who stopped it but it was more like keeping the strange whitie happy than anything else.

Lots to change in Taiwan before animal treatment starts to get better.

Good luck to you guys.

How about the next meeting taking place next weekend (15th or 16th). I’m sure we have lots to report.

I’ll e-mail those whose addresses I have later, but all are welcome.

Cheers!

Stray Dog

I can’t do the 15th (got a weiya). Sunday lunchtime is best for me.

Brian

I’m ok on either the 15th and 16th.

Jan. 16th Sunday noon is good for me.

I have some info regarding the cats and dogs spay/neuter reimbursement available for Taibei city residents only.

There was a good article in the Taipei Times today about the current fad for Labradors.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2005/01/09/2003218712

Yeah, I kept that article.

Sunday looks good then, but I have to leave by 1 pm.

Does anyone know where I can get one of those dog-catching sticks - you know, the kind of pole with a noose at the end? There’s a dog that’s been sleeping on the grass at the back of Costco, huddled up against the wall; she’s got no fur on her back, is very cold, very thin, very hungry, and has a broken right front foot. I’ve fed her for two days and she has stopped growling butn still won’t let me approach her.

I can’t leave her there in such a poorly state. Anyone know where I can get the dog-catching stick?

Thanks.

Sean

So will the next LTLTA meeting be Sunday January 16th, 2005 at 11 AM at Grandma Nitti’s?

Yes, it will!

See you there.

(I’m still waiting to hear from Jill Robinson, but I’ve emailed again to the AAF Executive Director, so, fingers crossed, I’ll have some news by Sunday).

Jill Robinson has sent a very encouraging email. I have forwarded it to all those on the LTLTA list, so go check your emails. :slight_smile:

Sean

Hi, guys.

Juba put me in touch with an Indonesian student in Taoyuan who wants help with a crippled, thin stray. I’m going to pick it up this evening.

Which Taipei vets do we know to be stray-friendly (free or cheap)? I’ll have to take the dog straight there, wherever it is, so time is of the essence.

Apparently, the dog’s in a pretty bad way, and doesn’t move much, but it is eating and drinking.

Also, I checked out all the links that Juba posted, but I couldn’t find any organisations that took in dogs such as this. I couldn’t read the Chinese sites, though, so if anyone knows of any place that does this kind of thing, please let me know ASAP.

Well, I’ll do what I can. Let me know what you know!

Cheers,

Sean

Is it just me here right now?

The dog is a bitch, and the bitch is gonna be a mum! Oh, dear.

I took her to Dr Yang. He has offered to spay - and terminate - her. The dog is one-month gone, with one month to go (estimated). Not sure what to do, but will probably get her an ultrasound to see how big/old/alive the pups are.

Anyone want to take care of a very sweet mum-to-be? Very educational experience! :s

Stray Dog :notworthy: How about her condition? Can she walk at all? Talk to you Sunday if not beforehand.

Eric

Hi.

yeah, she can … amble. Her front right paw/leg, though having no visible (major) injuries - won’t support her, though the vet thinks it will in time. Her back legs are also a bit wobbly. She’s terribly thin, with the only bit of girth on her being her pregnant belly.

She follows me everywhere but doesn’t want my other dogs to go near her. She has to sleep outside during the day, for her own sake. She feels more secure. She didn’t eat last night, but ate a mix of tinned dog food and raw fish and chicken for breakfast. I leave her a full bowl at all times.

Does anyone want to take care of her for a while? She’s very sweet (pics coming shortly) and pretty well behaved, though she had some seperation issues last night (but not today).

Cheers!

Hi there Stray Dog - This is the blond kungfu guy with 8 dogs out in Lin Kou who talked to you on the telly last night! Kudos to you for what you’re doing. When’s your next meeting?

A couple of things:

One possible task of our group (I and my lady would like to join) might be to go out there to that shelter in Nei Hu, and others like it, and help out caring for those dogs – whether it be bathing, walking or whathaveyou. That place is a tad remote (understatement), but we’ve got 2 cars, so if you get a few volunteers we could take them out.

Another point is about if you see dogs in the middle of the freeway walking along the divider. Most foreigners in Taiwan don’t drive cars, but for those who do, and for the Chinese who look at our website, we need to post this information. I’ve often seen dogs walking along hopelessly and felt terrible that I couldn’t stop to save them (for safety reasons, obviously). My lady used to have a number, but she lost it – we’ll try to get it again and post it up here.