Annette Lu, against aboriginals, against Taiwan

straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/asia/s … 21,00.html

TAIPEI - Members of Taiwan’s indigenous population yesterday demanded that Vice-President Annette Lu apologise for calling the mountainous areas in which they live overdeveloped after flooding caused by Typhoon Mindulle.

The outspoken Ms Lu blamed the scale of the crisis on what she said was the overdevelopment of the mountains, now home to some 450,000 indigenous people who make up less than 2 per cent of Taiwan’s population.

She further angered the aborigines when she said their ancestors, like the Han people, were also immigrants and suggested that those who fell victim to the typhoon emigrate temporarily to Latin America to make a living.

‘Lu, where were your ancestors from? How dare you want us to move to Latin America!’ said Mr Lin Jung-chin, chief of Ho-ping town.

[quote=“ac_squealer”]http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/Asia/story/0,4386,261521,00.html

Taipei - Members of Taiwan’s indigenous population yesterday demanded that Vice-President Annette Lu apologise for calling the mountainous areas in which they live overdeveloped after flooding caused by Typhoon Mindulle.
[/quote]

Actually, even your Pan-Blue allies and the China Post (as stated in a recent editorial) agree with Vice President Lu that many of those mountain regions are over developed. This shouldn’t be all that controversial. My problem with what V.P. Lu said wasn’t WHAT she said, but rather her timing and the seemingly insensitive way in which she said it. Perhaps she is taking lessons from Neal Boortz!

I can’t believe what she said!!! She’s a total idiot. How can she say that the yuanzumin are not the real aborignies and that they are responsible for this natural desaster??? Gosh, if this where in my home country, we would go out on the streets and tell her to step down!!!

I don’t agree with what she said, but I think the blue media is fanning flames and taking things out of context. Her biggest sin was disregarding aboriginal creation myths and supporting the old KMT idea of early to late immigration, which was used to afford the KMT some legitamacy against any aboriginal claims to land.

Just curious, but why did she ask them to move to Latin America?

Well if all the pan-Blue move to China and all the aboriginals move to Latin America. The Pan-Green side will finally be able to become the “master” race on the island.

It is democracy by mass exodus. She has obviously taken notes on the Isreal vs. Palestine issue. Just kick everyone out who doesn’t agree with you and build a wall.

Well, techically according to genetic studies they may not actually be indigenous to Taiwan. Apparently - I can’t find the study atm - there’s a good chance they immigrated here from the eastern coast of China at some point way back in the mists.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Well if all the pan-Blue move to China and all the aboriginals move to Latin America. The Pan-Green side will finally be able to become the “master” race on the island.

It is democracy by mass exodus. She has obviously taken notes on the Isreal vs. Palestine issue. Just kick everyone out who doesn’t agree with you and build a wall.[/quote]

:loco:

I thought the so called aborigines immigrated from some pacific islands way before the chinese took over Taiwan. So they might not be indigenous to Taiwan, but they have the same right to be here as all the chinese people.

Why is the question who arrived first soo important to these people. Can’t they just live happily together on the same island without killing, blaming and pushing away each other?

[quote=“mesheel”] have the same right to be here as all the Chinese people.

Why is the question who arrived first soo important to these people. Can’t they just live happily together on the same island without killing, blaming and pushing away each other?[/quote]

Mesheel: This is exactly what the pan-Blue camp wants you to believe. The fact is that there is very, very little ethnic hatred in Taiwan except possibly among the Waishengren elite that has lost its power and privileges. Their willingness to exploit the suffering of aborigines and other people who live in the high mountains for political gain after a natural disaster is repulsive.

I agree that Lu’s comments were inappropriate, insensitive, and poorly timed. She should apologize, and there has been a great deal of grumbling in the green camp about her uncanny ability to shove her foot down her throat.

That said, let’s look the article Acid_dropper has posted. His population figure is probably wrong–I remember that the official 2004 figure was 400,000. While many of Taiwan indigenous people live in the mountains, significant numbers (at least 1/3, probably more) live in urban areas. Pingtung and Taidong also have significant populations of Aborigines living in coastal areas.

The reporter is almost certainly Laurence Chung, who is a notorious pro-blue hack. See the comments by Sandy and Lol in this thread: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … sc&start=0

Mesheel: Don’t fall for this nonsense about ethnic hatred in Taiwan. It simply doesn’t exist except as a mirage created by politicians and their media allies.

I don’t want to get into this blue versus green game. All I am saying is Annette is a total idiot and should step down since this is not the first time she opened her mounth before turning on her brain.

There might not be ethical hatred in Taiwan, but look at the life and possiblities most Chinese people have and then at the ones most aborigines have. There i a huge difference and that’s not right!

Um, exactly what in the hell are the “Black Dwarves”? The “original ancestors” of Taiwan as mentioned by VP Lu?

/Too much LOTR and Hairy Ba-Dou, it would seem.

Lord John Whorfin: Where are we going?
Red Lectroids: Planet Ten.
Lord John Whorfin: When?
Red Lectroids: Real soon.

[quote=“mesheel”]I don’t want to get into this blue versus green game. All I am saying is Annette is a total idiot and should step down since this is not the first time she opened her mounth before turning on her brain.
[/quote]

But Mesheel, if you don’t understand that articles like the one quoted above are deeply involved in ‘blue versus green’ game, you won’t be able to recognize propaganda when you see it.

Also, do you know anything about Annette Lu’s background?

[quote]
There might not be ethical hatred in Taiwan, but look at the life and possiblities most Chinese people have and then at the ones most aborigines have. There i a huge difference and that’s not right![/quote]

You are absolutely right about that. Now start asking why that is the case. Annette Lu is not the problem here.

Don’t worry, I’m old enough and long enough in Taiwan to recognize propaganda and I know about Annettes background as well.

But whatever her background is, it does not give her the right to say what she said. My statement has nothing to do with politics, I don’t care if she’s green or blue. What she said was terrible and she should make up for it or step down.

BTW, I have not read the article, I heard her insulting the aborigines in the news.

^^^ VP Lu still needs to learn to be more of a team player and run her ideas past the party policy makers and spin doctors before running her mouth off. Seems she didn’t learn much during her first term. Noone would have complained about a milder speech to point out the problems with over-development and rampant gravel-digging, and now is a good time to crack down on unsuitable use, or redefine what that is. Wacko statements about emigration just make the job of formulating good policy and selling it to the public all the more difficult.

OK, can I just ask something?

I just read that article. Where exactly does VP Lu say the Aborigines were to blame? She said the land was overdeveloped, yes, and that that overdevelopment exacerbated the damage. Sounds entirely logical to me. And come on, if even the Straits Times can’t come up with anything worse than that on this count…

The “move to Latin America” thing, though, was a definite case of “Please engage brain before opening mouth in future.”

No, she didn’t lay the blame on them by name. This (IIRC) was a quote from her while up in the Jenai district in Nantou, which is mostly inhabited by aboriginals. It may be one of those areas where only aboriginals can legally hold land. Therefore they took the comments as being directed at them.

Lu said that the ‘yuanzhumin’ were not really ‘native’(?) to Taiwan. What word did she use? Was she saying there were other people in Taiwan before them? Or simply that they must have come from somewhere else first (as is the case with all peoples on the earth)?

Either way it is almost 100% agreed by modern scholars that the aborigines did not come from China, that they are ‘Austronesian’ peoples, and there are even strong suggestions that Taiwan was one of the first (if not the first) origin points of the Austronesians.

Anette Lu is to the DPP what ac_dropout is to Forumosa. A nutter, best left ignored :wink:

Brian

Well we can blame the DPP party for not being able to control her. Or we can call it as we see it. She could be an elitist and a racist by US standards.

She basically denied the aboriginal there interpretation of their origins and then invited them to leave the island to make a living in no vague terms.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Well we can blame the DPP party for not being able to control her. Or we can call it as we see it. She could be an elitist and a racist by US standards.

She basically denied the aboriginal there interpretation of their origins and then invited them to leave the island to make a living in no vague terms.[/quote]

Maybe she should advocate slaughtering them… KMT style?