Another opinion about women

Hows it going Formosa community. I have recently read many interesting posts about different views on the women here in Taiwan. Various posts are very informative and also very entertaining. I have another opinion to present, however. I havent been in Taiwan for very long, therefore maybe my views are a little skewed. I am an Asian American fluent in mandarin who works for an Taiwanese company, therefore I am very much able to assimilate myself in this Taiwanese culture. I have read many posts about how the shiao jies (my pinyin is horrible) are beautiful here in Taiwan and how Taiwan is a males’ haven for women. Maybe because I live in Hsinchu and the selection isnt the greatest, but so far I really miss western women. I find the women here in Taiwan all pretty much look the same. I also find them not as sexy or beautiful as the women in the western world. Dont you find the immaturity and the obsession with cuteness old after a while? Also, I am sure many posters here are very intelligent people, wouldnt it be nice to just communicate freely and share thoughts and opinions without any misunderstandings? I find myself more drawn to the western women in my area because of our ability to communicate intelligently and just be able to understand each other. No matter how hard us western people try, there will be always an unseen barrier between an Eastern person and western person. I realize this is Taiwan, therefore Taiwanese women is pretty much what is out there. I guess you take what there is to get. What im trying to say is that the women here isnt all that some posters make them out to be. Man I miss home. Maybe thats my problem.

yesh well all valid points you are making…nobody would argue that 95% of Taiwanese girls cannot hold a candle to western girls in terms of openness of communication. i think most western men here just take it as part of the package; you get a much richer selection in terms of attractive girls who god knows why find us attractive too…but you just can’t expect to swap too many bon mots with them. your problem i guess is that you are asian and perhaps mandarin speaking from a young age so you don’t get any buzz from being in an exotic relationship conducted in a foreign language…hope that all made sense; over to the rest of the punters

That should be “Forumosa” community, with a u. Though Formosa’s a community unto himself, he’s only one of the posters on this one.

That should be “Forumosa” community, with a u. Though Formosa’s a community unto himself, he’s only one of the posters on this one.[/quote]

:laughing: Yes, formosa’s in his own little formosa. :laughing:

Good point bear64. I guess it would be fun to go to Spain and hit on some spanish girl in spanish.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]That should be “Forumosa” community, with a u. Though Formosa’s a community unto himself, he’s only one of the posters on this one.[/quote]There are posters other than him ? :shock:

Ahh! This was a refreshing read! Thanks so much!

When I came here I was mystified that the men seemed to want their adult girlfriends to look and act like 13 year olds. And it wasn’t so easy to find a Taiwnaese man who wasn’t turned off by my strongly held opinions and self confidence. Anyway, no one really wanted to “talk” to their girlfrineds!

I would think, though, that as an asian foreigner you have the best position. You’ll find it easier than the average Taiwanese man to date foreign women here, and if you decide to get serious about some Taiwanese xiaojie, you might just have an easier time with the in-laws, especially if you speak the language.

Well, that’s my idea, anyway. It’s been so long since I dated, and when I read posts like these I remember how thankful I am!

I believe the original poster is describing the under-30 set here quite accurately. However, once a local woman has a little seasoning and experience under her belt (or cute little skirt, as the case may be), she will generally have her own point of view on a variety of issues and not be so obssessed with cuteness. There are always exceptions, of course. Some younger women are intellectually curious and great to talk to, and some older women are still locked in teenaged mind-sets.

A good friend of mine from Canada has fallen madly in love with a 24 year old Taiwanese art teacher who has a wide variety of interests she actively pursues (drama, painting, dance, photography, language study). I think that there are a number of highly motivated, intellectually alive Taiwanese women out there, far more than the 5% of the the whole suggested by one of the poster.

As for physical appearance, that’s just a matter of taste, man. I was uninterested in Taiwanese girls for the first six months I was here. Thought they were undernourished and shapeless. Times have changed since then, as has my opinion of local women.

I see things very differently from you, Chu. To my eyes, there’s as much variety among the girls and women here as there is in any other country I’ve been to. There are so many different types of loveliness, and as many different types of not-so-loveliness, all around us.

Very well said, Omni.

Of course you see things differently. Thats the reason for my post. Another opinion :smiley:

thechu17 wrote

I’ve always thought that even between men and women from the same culture, etc communication without misunderstanding was almost impossible!

if i can just chuck in my re-considered 2nd opinion on this subject…of course communication between people from the same culture is going to be easier than people of different cultures…this would be true even of an American guy going out with an English girl and vice versa. i guess the question is how much the people in question can transcend the problems that arise…the problem in taiwan is that a lot of people you meet are the products of a confucian society and education system that discourage independent thought and debate. of course some people have a good enough brain on their shoulders (?) to develop their own way of thinking and communicating (hopefully more than the 5% I kicked up) but it still remains a fact that for most of us if you want active, informed debate you’re more likely to find it from your western friends (IMHO)

Where?! WHERE, man, WHERE?! For god’s sake, PLEASE TELL ME WHERE!!!

It really comes down to what you want. For active, informed debate, I go to my friends, not my girlfriends. I’m not interested in debating with someone I love. In a girlfriend or wife, I’m more interested in finding someone with whom I can explore and enjoy life (a nice ass helps as well :wink: ). I prefer someone with whom I can exchange ideas about more practical matters, and who shares my curiousity about places, people, and culture. In a Western/Taiwanese relationship, one endless source of conversation is culture and language. I’ve learned more practical Mandarin from my girlfriends here than I ever learning in my undergraduate program or through the texts I’ve studied.

[quote=“Tomas”]
For active, informed debate, I go to my friends, not my girlfriends. I’m not interested in debating with someone I love. [/quote]

:?

I was going to say something. But there’s nothing to say.

No, uh, yeah right… does that mean you like it when your girlfriend agrees with everything that comes out of your mouth? Yawn.

It’s much easier to have a serious debate with men (and Forumosa posters who use their real names :smiling_imp: ) because there is always the possibility of using violence. :sunglasses:

Actually, my sister prefers male company because she finds it more stimulating; she’s into astronomy and the like.

With the exception of one-pint screamers, I prefer male company. Female writers don’t do too much for me either. Napolean prefers females.

[quote=“Alien”][quote=“Tomas”]
For active, informed debate, I go to my friends, not my girlfriends. I’m not interested in debating with someone I love. [/quote]

No, uh, yeah right… does that mean you like it when your girlfriend agrees with everything that comes out of your mouth? Yawn.[/quote]

That’s right. The “little woman” has to agree with me or I’m not happy. My way or the highway :unamused: .

Please don’t go assuming things about me. Read the rest of my post. I do enjoy discussions of values, culture, emotions, people, but I don’t like debating. If I really want a debate, I’d seek out a friend who enjoys the same, not the person I love most in the world. Everyone has their own style in conducting a relationship. I prefer not to cause needless tension in my relationships over issues I don’t care much about. That is what I meant.

Love is blind as they say, and a little friendly advice is often a good idea.

[quote=“Alien”][quote=“Tomas”]

No, uh, yeah right… does that mean you like it when your girlfriend agrees with everything that comes out of your mouth? Yawn.[/quote]

I think he meant he wasn’t interested in debating me, Alien.

No, actually, I think it is smart to keep debates out of the relationship. Go debate with your buddies. I dated someone who would always want to debate, who would bombard me with debates. Not cool.