Another US political orientation test

[quote=“mofangongren”][quote=“fred smith”]I don’t smoke.

I drink wine and champagne (preferably the latter) and for wine preferably Argentine, Italian sangiovese or South African cape, though I partake in Californian Zinfandels (as in red) and Provence roses.

Single-malt scotch is a bit posey isn’t it? Give me Wild Turkey bourbon any day.[/quote]

jdsmith – Looks like Fred doesn’t get to be in our single-malt-and-cigars full-spectrum club. And other than my own enjoying Sangioveses from time to time as a commonality with Fred, it would appear a drinker of Zinfandels, roses and champagnes ought not to be looking down on drinkers of single-malt scotches as “posey”. My guess is that if Fred’s drinking Wild Turkey, he’s not taking it neat.

Fred – Regarding your taste for Wild Turkey, what’s your favorite cocktail?[/quote]

I’m still waiting for the meaning of “posey” to hit me. :slight_smile:

I like neither those spirits that tickle or burn out my nose hairs. :slight_smile:

I do like some champagnes and wines, but really, what’s the point? Why get tipsy when you can get drunk? :slight_smile:

Ok, back to the cave…ugh ugh

Cuban cigars? Clever, mofangongren. Then we get to make a citizen’s arrest of all the U.S. citizens at the confab shortly after they light up.

Rather than those puny Cohibas though we should make it a cigar really worth going to jail for: topcubans.com/cuban-cigars/c … idcigar=46

I’ll give up Tennessee Whiskey for Kentucky Bourbon on one condition: we still get to have target practice.

Wild Turkey as in straight or on ice but never mixed. Single-malt is a bit of a public-relations stunt in my opinion as was the “rebranding” of cigars to make them fashionista accessories. That said, I am sure that there are people who really liked and like single-malt scotch and really liked and like cigars, but I think for 90 percent, the ad messages were very persuasive.

I’d have to say I’m a recent convert to the single malts. No ad campaign swayed me…was some guy named Sandman. Now I’m hooked until the next best thing comes along. I’m a booze whore. No loyalty.

Sandman has that effect on people. Talking with him last Wednesday at the Happy Hour was enough to get me well into a few glasses of wine. How come you didn’t show up?

fred

After hearing about the champagnes, roses and zinfandels, I had you figured for “Rhett Butlers” or “Rhinestone Cowgirls” on the rocks.

Single-malts were great before others discovered them and drove the price up a bit. There are large numbers of distilleries operating throughout Scotland that have been around long before us and will be around long after us. Regarding cigars, they’re only a “fashionista accessory” if one smokes them to be seen smoking them. However, given the smell of second-hand cigar smoke (first-hand is good, second-hand bad), I’m not sure any fashion benefit is conveyed to us chompers.

I consider the sudden popularity of scotch, cigars and coffee shops the “peace dividend” from beating the Soviet Union in the Cold War. 15 years later, people now either like these things or they don’t. However, for a drinker of champagnes, zinfandels and roses, I’m wondering why you don’t just indulge yourself that one step further with Austrian rieslings … or if that is a line even you cannot cross! :laughing:

Actually, I happen to be a big fan of Austrian Gruener Veltliners. You can buy one in Wellcome that costs only NT$290 per bottle. Its a bit rough but nothing better with brats. I remember horseback riding East of Vienna and stopping at small farmhouses where they would bring you a brotchen with a sausage and some mustard and a glass of the local Gruener Veltliner. Perfect in October, November. They have that special flavor that is characteristic of Rhine wines without all the excess sugary applely flavors that you get with your typical Riesling. Also, just to clarify. You do know that the Zinfandels I am referring to are red and pungent, not the commonly quaffed White Zinfandel that seems to plague family restaurants throughout America. I forget the name in German Zweigelt? Anyone?

What’s in a Rhett Butler? Rhinestone Cowgirl? Never heard of them. Have had hurricanes though (dangerous and occasionally good) but never could stomach mint juleps. Yuck!

[quote=“fred smith”]Sandman has that effect on people. Talking with him last Wednesday at the Happy Hour was enough to get me well into a few glasses of wine. How come you didn’t show up?

fred[/quote]

Sadly, when it comes to mid week HH, I’ll not be able to make any of them as I work until about 9pm and live in Ying Ge. Weekends however are a different story…although I am getting a bit tired of standing and screaming over music…I need a table, chair, and some good conversation/food.