Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

Zimmern the times that I watched didn’t eat endangered animals. He was mostly eating grubs and worms. Showing us how those are eaten by the locals and describing them… he wasn’t promoting the eating of endangered animals.

I don’t know if he ate aNy but I don’t think he was promoting that.

I’ve never seen Andrew Zimmern eat an endangered animal. For those who say he did, they should put up or shut up (post a clip of him doing so, or get off it).

1 Like

2 Likes

Rev. Rob doesn’t seem like your average NC pastor.

1 Like

Sometimes a fuck you says it all

1 Like

He’s actually the descendant of Robert E. Lee, commander of the Confederate army. He’s a pastor, but a very progressive one (a bit ironic considering his lineage, I guess).

At least he didn’t take the Lord’s name in vain…

Yeah just looked him up. David Leavitt on the other hand seems like a professional Twitter troll.

1 Like

Just from a quick search he’s eaten bats in lots of countries, rats too, also a lot of exotic seafood like.giant squirts, scallops etc

I.dont believe he and his crew always know the background of the species they are eating, how they were hunted etc and they could inadvertently be causing some damage.

Just because some of the locals already eat them doesn’t mean we should promote eating them even more !

Samoan fruit bat is threatened by habitat loss and hunting.It only lives in Samoa.
Greenland shark is threatened.
King Cobra is on endangered list in some countries.
Bluefin tuna also.
Lots of turtles.

Also snake soup, isn’t that when they slit open the snakes alive and drain the blood…Raw octopus …Live frogs…Not humane.

Say goodbye Samoan giant scallops…Promoting eating them to a worldwide audience.

Eating raw giant scallops in Samoa was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Compared to scallops from, say, Hokkaido, this was 800 times better. It was so sugary sweet. These are scallops the size of basketballs, and it takes two people to lift up from the bottom of the ocean bed and put in a canoe. The tribal people were splashing calamansi and coconut juice onto raw sliced scallops, and I can’t begin to tell you.

A lot of Asian wildlife is under severe pressure and it’s not managed well like the US.

I don’t think anyone is rushing out to eat giant Samoan fruit bat, because Zimmern gingerly bit into a wing once. If it’s only in Samoa, why does the blurb from your link say “The bats are native to the tropics of Asia, Australia, Indonesia, islands of East Africa, and the Indian and Pacific oceans, but I tried them first on the uninhabited island of Nu’utele in Samoa.
I googled Samoan scallop and didn’t see any distinction for it. I googled Samoan flying fox and on its Wiki page the status is NT (or Near Threatened). It does say it’s “quite common” in its range. Although not technically endangered, I’ll give you a point for that. Fair is fair.

But snake soup? Dude, you live in Taiwan. Walk through any major night market here and you’ll see a store or two selling snake soup or meat.

What endangered turtle did he eat? If it’s not endangered, then what’s the moral difference between eating that and eating a pork chop from a pig?

Greenland shark? If you’re talking about the Iceland episode where he ate hakarl, I don’t remember a specific mention of it being Greenland shark and not another type of shark. So you’d have to hunt down a clip and show me. What I do remember is he had one scrap from a fermented carcass and hated it (said it tasted like piss, basically), so not exactly an endorsement for people to rush out and eat it.

Raw octopus is when the tentacles are sliced off and the nerves are still active. So it’s not technically alive. I did eat that in Korea once at a fish market, where it’s very common. If you’re going to judge him for that, then you might as well judge me. But I hope you don’t. It’s already a very common dish in Korea, and even served as a side-dish at some pubs there. Most expats I know who live in Korea have tried it once. Asia loves live food items (or at least so fresh it was only alive a few minutes before eating). I respect that if you don’t care for that stuff. It’s not something I’d do again. But it’s part and parcel of the food culture of many countries here, and he’s just sharing that authentic part of their culinary culture.

That channel and him are a disgrace. Putting the torture of animals, as he has done (eating them alive) under the guise of mainstream acceptibility is disgusting. He is disgusting. I won’t be sorry if gets eaten by a Floridan Alligator.

So you’re saying you’re a fan?

I looked though all the stuff he ate in detail .
He mainly ate non endangered species .

But when he came to Asia he did eat a lot of exotic seafood and yeah he ate wildlife that is clearly threatened as I have listed . Samoan fruit bat is unique to Samoan area and threatened.
I can imagine wild giant Samoan clams arent common either and could be fished to extinction very quickly it they were popularised. I know giant clams have disappeared from many areas already.
And yes bluefin tuna is endangered with populations dropping drastically.

Also he has taken a kind of delight in eating live animals which is a kind of torture. I don’t give a shit if.it is part of a countrys culture and usually you find its just done for some dodgy entertainment purposes like snake alley in Taiwan. Animals shouldn’t be tortured full stop.

So you’re wrong, I’m right , game over :).

1 Like

*you’re

What’s that not making much sense mate :slight_smile:

Editing= “fake news” :wink:

I already said in my previous post I’d give you credit for the Samoan fruit bat his guests offered him. I’m still going to enjoy the show and watch it when it’s on. :man_shrugging:

Yeah I’m not trying to argue with you for the sake of it, but I did feel a bit out out that you told me to support my argument with evidence but you provided no evidence to the contrary . Mostly he eats regulars bugs and domestic stuff and pests which is fine with me. Although celebrating eating different animals testicles and penises…emmm…He wouldn’t be the most popular guy to hang out with at the star fleet bar I’m guessing. Let’s hope we don’t have alien friends that travel the galaxies looking to add freshly barbecued humans to their ’ if it looks good eat it’ menu!

Me neither. I like you, and generally agree with your posts. That said…

… Burden of proof is on the one making the claim.

But you did a good job, so kudos.

Depends on the humans. I could point them in a few directions. :smirk:

Saw a few zimmern shows and he ate mostly gawd awful disgusting shit

So I only watched a few episodes even though I liked the guy

Bourdain I liked

'If it looks like Gawd awful disgusting shit , eat it ’

1 Like