Anti-Beijing Olympics 2008 Campaign

Well both do blow a lot of hot air :slight_smile:

mkegruber, Red in the Face sounds like a great name.

Any other suggestions before we move forward?

Fearless leader indeed. :laughing:

Let China compete as ‘Taiwanese Beijing’. :sunglasses:

Here is an idea for the preparation of the Olympics:

a) give a bag with NT$500M stolen from any government agency to the guys doing the 10K run (that should be enough for them to go from the Taoyuan Railway station to the Airport). The guy who finishes first can go to Beijing (not sure if he will come back).

b) Instead of making a running marathon, make a study marathon, where young lads have to read 10 tomes of Chinese History, memorize it and write it in a 42 pages written exam.

c) Instead of gymnastics, make a recite-that-English-text-contest open to all the buxibans in Taipei.

d) Instead of dart throwing, binlang spitting would be have more contests, and the Americans can come with some tobacco chewers (à la Saint Louis).

They, of course, would have to be Chinese from Taipei, China.

I wonder one thing, will the Chinese Taipei participants in the Olympic games have to say that they are PRC Residents in Taiwan? Because then the other countries could argue that, under the One-China Principle, neither Taiwan, neither HK, neither Macau can go to the Olympics because they are not countries.

Let China compete as ‘Taiwanese Beijing’. :sunglasses:[/quote]

I’m taking it that humor always works well in campaigns. Yeah I think really angry campaigns are not nearly as effective because they turn away a lot of people.

You definitely are, AC. Without you, there would not be so many staunch Pro-Taiwan supporters, no doubt mesmerized by your “verbal art judo” that continues to make a mockery of the KMT and CCP. You and Soong are my heroes! Live long and prosper my friend. :slight_smile:

The wave of TI supporters leave me in shock and awe. Hurry declare victory before the other side does first.

I was thinking, the best event is when you can predict the results of an event and position time and place or third act to follow , which of course is a little unexpected.

This also had me thinking, at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics there was an instance of a Taiwanese waiving person arrested, the crowd looked on bemused. Wave a Taiwanse flag with 100,000 fanatic nationalistic Chinese around you, the authorities may be the least of your worries. Beware the mob, be safe and don’t incite violence.

Breaking news;
The inevitable has happened. Taiwan, in an unofficial report announces that they are now prepare to talk with the Chinese Authorities on forging a warm relationship with China. Short of saying the key word “reunite”, the report briefly however, states that it welcomes any form of partnership with China. Both parties are willing to discuss forming a joint team for the Olympic.

Will that be the best news to happen before the Olympic?

"Will that be the best news to happen before the Olympic (sic)? "

• No!

No, what will probably happen, if there is a DPP victory in TW and a Democrat victory in US, is that there will be more and more people without justification for not supporting Taiwan. After all, by winning 3 times in a row the Presidency, the DPP will show that they have the support of the population to continue their politics, and the world will have to bow to the will of the Taiwanese. What is bad for China, is that next year, they cannot make a move that could cause panic in Taiwan (like firing missiles, a anti-whore houses law or something like that), because the whole world has their eyes on China. Everyone is pushing the envelope on the Chinese authorities (we have the G8 warning China about their “aid” to Africa, specially in the military form, the US pushing the WTO and the Yuan evaluation envelope, Canada and a billion of NGO’s pushing the human rights, and the whole world worried about the Chinese pollution (except the Chinese themselves, it seems)).

We all know that a win by the DPP will mean at least 2 months of red shirt army + blue shirt army on the streets of Taipei, fighting against the results, but, after that, they will all have to start thinking on with what legitimacy they can advocate whatever unification when the people is against it (and as time goes by, the China Threat erodes again and again, making it nothing more than a blurb from the other side of the strait…)

[quote]the world will have to bow to the will of the Taiwanese[/quote] :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can’t we just let it out of the politic issue?
er,I just hope.

no, because there will always be a political issue, once the national flag and anthem of an athlete is banned in the organizing country. And the whole torch thing was started as a political issue, by Hitler. Olympics are everything about politics, because national pride is the base for all politicians. In case there is a victory from a Taiwanese Athlete, which flag will rise? Which anthem will be played? Did you ever saw Chinese doing anything positive in Sports in relationship to Taiwanese?

What will happen is that Beijing will “magnanimously” allow the term “Chinese Taipei” or whatever following last-minute negotiations with new President Ma Ying-jeou. Big face for all except the lame-duck greasemonkey.

I don’t think we have to worry about that :roflmao:

If this island isn’t the least sports-oriented place in the world, it’s in the top ten at least.

People have such little faith in ROC TKD squad… :fume:

I’m coming into this thread late, and very unwilling to wade through the last 8 pages.

I’ve read a little about the zhongguo taibei versus zhonghua taibei issue… my impression is that it was manufactured (as many things are) by Chen Shui-bian and his ilk. Does anyone have a link somewhere explain when/how the Beijing Olympics Organizing Committee dastardly substituted in “zhongguo taibei” for Taiwan?

I personally think Ma is very lightly tinged blue, so I’m not expecting too much of a breakthrough… I used to vainly hope that the two teams would walk in with the PRC/ROC flags flying side by side, as per the Korean teams. I think what sandman described above is the most likely scenario if Ma wins the election.

cctang, the commercial that was shown on TV about the route for the torch clearly shows, in Romanization: Taipei, China. And that is the current trend of pushing we are getting from the CCP. Chinese Taipei is not China enough these days, and you know that the whole world will be completely unaware if they change a Chinese character here and there. It will be politically directed.

And, for information:

Sorry mr_boogie, your logic continues to escape me as usual.

First, I’m unfamiliar with the “commercial that was shown on TV”. But I will submit:

Ask your wife to translate this for you, and tell you how many times zhongguo taibei is mentioned, versus zhonghua taibei:
torchrelay.beijing2008.cn/cn/new … 2798.shtml

Second, I have no idea how the news with Sung Yu-chi applies to the issue.