Any advice on how to have a contract translated into Chinese

I need an employment contract translated into Chinese, but am at a loss of where to have it done. Any advice? Anyone whose written Chinese is good enough to do it? How 'bout someone who is FROM Taiwan whose legal (not that tough) English is good enough? (my wife gets befuddled with some of the legalese…again, not much).

Here is the contract:

Appleseed English School Employment Contract

1. This is a contract of gainful employment between Appleseed English School (hereafter known as The School) and ___________________ (hereafter known as The Employee).
  2. In consideration of (_________________ per month) or (_________________ per hour), The Employee agrees to courteously and conscientiously execute job duties as discussed during the interview process. The School agrees to pay The Employee on the established pay schedule.
  3. The School agrees to give The Employee two weeks notice of the intent to breach and terminate this agreement, except in cases of gross negligence or where the health, safety, and welfare of other employees and students of The School. This is to ensure that The Employee has adequate time to secure employment elsewhere.
  4. The Employee agrees to give The Employee two weeks notice of his/her intent to leave employment with The School. This is to ensure sufficient time to fine a replacement for the position being vacated by The Employee.
  5. If The Employee fails to honor clause four (4), The Employee agrees to forfeit the final month

Be careful if you pick a professinal translation service…
Why not get someone who can read and write Chinese and english well and translate it with you?

My experience with a translation company in Taipei was that they translated it and totally mistranslated the intent of the contract

You should try and follow the intent of the contract as close as possible not the symantics or the fancy legal language. Keep it simple.

Ironlady might do it if you could get the money to her (she’s in the US isn’t she?)

I’m in the US, but I’m not a native Chinese speaker…

My suggestion: I have friends who are qualified, full-time legal translators. They work at a law firm and the name has totally slipped my mind at this moment (the fresh air here in the US is obviously not good for me!). Why don’t you PM me, and I’ll give you a private e-mail for one of them. You could either go through the firm (they contract legal translation and are probably the best in Taiwan for it) or individually with this guy or one of his co-workers. I can guarantee their work with no misgivings whatsoever.

I agree with the above, if you get a translation agency you will likely be sorry…most quality translators do NOT work for the Taiwanese agencies, but freelance. Those who do agency work and are willing to take NT$0.6 per word - well, most of them are cutting class at the time. :smiley:

NT$0.6 PER WORD?! Christ on a bike, you’ve got to be kidding!

Just looking quickly at the Agreement…

[color=red]Red[/color] = My suggested deletions.
[color=blue]Blue[/color] = My suggested additions.

[quote=“acearle”]Appleseed English School Employment Contract

1. This is a contract of gainful employment between Appleseed English School (hereafter known as The School) and ___________________ (hereafter known as The Employee).

2. In consideration of (_________________ per month) or (_________________ per hour), The Employee agrees to courteously and conscientiously execute job duties as [color=red]discussed during the interview process[/color] [color=blue]identified herein (add a list of duties/responsibilities)[/color]. The School agrees to pay The Employee on the established pay schedule.

3. The School agrees to give The Employee two weeks notice of the intent to [color=red]breach and[/color] terminate this agreement, except in cases of gross negligence or where the health, safety, and welfare of other employees and students of The School [color=blue]are at issue[/color]. [color=red]This is to ensure that The Employee has adequate time to secure employment elsewhere.[/color]

4. The Employee agrees to give The [color=red]Employee[/color] [color=blue]School[/color] two weeks notice of his/her intent to [color=red]leave employment with The School[/color] [color=blue]terminate this Contract[/color]. [color=red]This is to ensure sufficient time to find a replacement for the position being vacated by The Employee.[/color]

5. If The Employee fails to honor clause four (4), The Employee agrees to forfeit the final month

[quote=“acearle”]
4. The Employee agrees to give The Employee two weeks notice of his/her intent to leave employment with The School. This is to ensure sufficient time to fine a replacement for the position being vacated by The Employee.[/quote]

The second one should be Employer?

[quote=“jeff”][quote=“acearle”]
4. The Employee agrees to give The Employee two weeks notice of his/her intent to leave employment with The School. This is to ensure sufficient time to fine a replacement for the position being vacated by The Employee.[/quote]

The second one should be Employer?[/quote]

That’s right. But, to be consistent, it should read as follows:

[quote=“The Magnificent Tigerman”]Just looking quickly at the Agreement…

[color=red]Red[/color] = My suggested deletions.
[color=blue]Blue[/color] = My suggested additions.

[quote=“acearle”]Appleseed English School Employment Contract

2. In consideration of (_________________ per month) or (_________________ per hour), The Employee agrees to courteously and conscientiously execute job duties as [color=red]discussed during the interview process[/color] [color=blue]identified herein (add a list of duties/responsibilities)[/color]. The School agrees to pay The Employee on the established pay schedule.

3. The School agrees to give The Employee two weeks notice of the intent to [color=red]breach and[/color] terminate this agreement, except in cases of gross negligence or where the health, safety, and welfare of other employees and students of The School [color=blue]are at issue[/color]. [color=red]This is to ensure that The Employee has adequate time to secure employment elsewhere.[/color]

4. The Employee agrees to give The [color=red]Employee[/color] [color=blue]School[/color] two weeks notice of his/her intent to [color=red]leave employment with The School[/color] [color=blue]terminate this Contract[/color]. [color=red]This is to ensure sufficient time to find a replacement for the position being vacated by The Employee.[/color]

[quote=“jeff”][quote=“acearle”]

The second one should be Employer?[/quote]

In the words of the immortal Homer…DOH! Yes, excellent call. Reason #4,502 why I am a better writer than editor (editors are brighter, they fix our mistakes)…thanks :laughing: :smiley:

Yeah, but from what I’ve seen of your translations and Chinese skills, I’d have incredible confidence in your translation (hey, breathe some of that air for me too :laughing: )

[quote=“ironlady”]I’m in the US, but I’m not a native Chinese speaker…

My suggestion: I have friends who are qualified, full-time legal translators. They work at a law firm and the name has totally slipped my mind at this moment (the fresh air here in the US is obviously not good for me!). Why don’t you PM me, and I’ll give you a private e-mail for one of them. You could either go through the firm (they contract legal translation and are probably the best in Taiwan for it) or individually with this guy or one of his co-workers. I can guarantee their work with no misgivings whatsoever.

I agree with the above, if you get a translation agency you will likely be sorry…most quality translators do NOT work for the Taiwanese agencies, but freelance. Those who do agency work and are willing to take NT$0.6 per word - well, most of them are cutting class at the time. :smiley:[/quote]

Thanks for the pat on the back, I can use it :smiley: but seriously, get a qualified native speaker of Chinese with legal translation experience. You won’t regret it (and you probably will if you don’t… :astonished: )

Tigerman, would Art. 6 be valid under ROC law, assuming this is for a school in Taiwan?

Absolutely.