Any English bushibans hiring non-native speakers?

Does anyone know of any specific Taipei schools willing to hire non-native speakers as teachers? I searched, but couldn’t find the right thread – surely there must be one, though?

I know someone whose English is good enough to teach kids English, but every time she tells them she’s from a certain European country where English is not a native language, she gets hit by the door on the way out of the interview. I was surprised to hear of her bad luck, since surely there must be some bushibans which are (unfairly) more interested in having parents see a white teacher than in what someone’s mother tongue happens to be. She’s here on a marriage visa, btw.

There are other threads for discussing why native speakers do or do not make better teachers or for how unfair it is that some bushibans are racist, turning down ABC’s or dark-skinned teachers – I agree that it’s wrong, but let’s please not rehash that here, thanks.

I can agree. I am non-native and dont have a chance to get a job in Taipei. So I say I am American. Nobody ever realised it. I have white skin, blonde hair and speak English. Thats all they want. For part-time positions they never asked for my passport. They believe I`m American, I have a job and everybody is happy.
Sad situation but we cannot change it.

I work at a buxiban in JongLi (40min trainride from Taipei) who will hire non-natives if they are good teachers and reliable (more importantly).

IN fact they are looking for teachers for next semester. How can I get more details about her/her?

She lives in Xizhi. She can post in the Forumosafieds to find a job, of course, and that’s up to her to do. I was more interested in exploring the situation in general re: people in her situation…

To answer the original question, isn’t it because it is illegal? With all the crackdowns lately, if I were a buxiban owner I wouldn’t want to take that ask, especially with so many legal Canadian teachers flooding the market everywhere. I don’t know about the other cities, but in Tainan it’s getting really difficult to find a job because for every job advertised on the Tainan Bulletin, immediately there are 30 applicants showing up. It’s getting scary how overflooded Taiwan is for fewer and fewer jobs. There are too many native speakers already, so non-native speakers are going to find it really, really tough to find jobs teaching English.

Maybe you can teach your own native language? I know one girl in Tainan who does okay teaching Spanish, her native language, in private classes.

[quote=“Quentin”]To answer the original question, isn’t it because it is illegal? With all the crackdowns lately, if I were a buxiban owner I wouldn’t want to take that ask, especially with so many legal Canadian teachers flooding the market everywhere. I don’t know about the other cities, but in Tainan it’s getting really difficult to find a job because for every job advertised on the Tainan Bulletin, immediately there are 30 applicants showing up. It’s getting scary how overflooded Taiwan is for fewer and fewer jobs. There are too many native speakers already, so non-native speakers are going to find it really, really tough to find jobs teaching English.

Maybe you can teach your own native language? I know one girl in Tainan who does okay teaching Spanish, her native language, in private classes.[/quote]

I agree with you about the legal part, but I think many/most of the foreign teacher in Taiwan are involved in illegal work. I don’t understand the Canadian issue though. They say the exchange rate is working against Canadians and that lots of posts are opening in Canada. I think there’s always a chance that the person in question might get a job. I must say, I’ve read many posts like yours about how difficult it is to get a job, but I (a South African) have never had a problem finding a job. I think the case/s you referred to where 30 applicants show up, are very special jobs which pay more than NT$650/hour and have other perks. If you’re willing to work, you shouldn’t have a problem.

[quote=“Quentin”]To answer the original question, isn’t it because it is illegal? .[/quote]

[color=blue][quote]She’s here on a marriage visa, btw. [/quote][/color]

No it’s not illegal if she has a marriage visa. She doesnt even need a degree. She should just tell people what they want to hear. She can tell them she’s an American. She can tell them whatever.

Quote: No it’s not illegal if she has a marriage visa. She doesnt even need a degree.

Good luck with that one! I’m on a marriage visa and I don’t have a degree (just a TEFL certificate) and BOY did I have trouble finding a full-time job! Even my two years experience working part-time didn’t count whenever they heard I don’t have a university degree. Sorry, but in Taiwan you need to have a degree even if it’s in P.E., otherwise they’ll just show you the door, fast!

(I have a full time job now, but my salary is the most basic for foreign teachers in Taiwan. I’m not making the big bugs.)

P.S. Go to Italy. I heard there’s no law against not having a degree and working there. You even make more money for private tutoring. PLUS, it’s a much more beautiful country. If I wasn’t married, I’d pack my bags in a sec.

Teaching English? I’d love to.

Teaching English? I’d love to.[/quote]

Personally, if you decided to go to Italy, I think you would have a better chance teaching at an international school and in a subject other than English.

I would argue that the average educational customer in Italy is a hell of a lot more intelligent than in Taiwan. In other words, I don’t think most Italians in Italy want someone teaching them English, whose first language is not English. While Italy is a cosmopolitan culture that welcomes diversity, the people are not idiots.

In other words, they don’t want a certified teacher from South Africa teaching their kids English. Geography, history, Maths etc. – perhaps. If your an Afrikaaner, I’d suggest changing subject areas.

Personally, if you decided to go to Italy, I think you would have a better chance teaching at an international school and in a subject other than English.

I would argue that the average educational customer in Italy is a hell of a lot more intelligent than in Taiwan. In other words, I don’t think most Italians in Italy want someone teaching them English, whose first language is not English. While Italy is a cosmopolitan culture that welcomes diversity, the people are not idiots.

In other words, they don’t want a certified teacher from South Africa teaching their kids English. Geography, history, Maths etc. – perhaps. If your an Afrikaaner, I’d suggest changing subject areas.[/quote]

I might just go and take your place in Canada as many thousands of South Africans have done. Canada likes us!
sacanada.org/

The way things are going (immigration from Asia), I wouldn’t be surprised if there were more people in Cape Town who speak English as a first language than in the entire Canada.

In other words, they don’t want a certified teacher from South Africa teaching their kids English. Geography, history, Maths etc. – perhaps. If your an Afrikaaner, I’d suggest changing subject areas.[/quote]

I might just go and take your place in Canada as many thousands of South Africans have done. Canada likes us!
sacanada.org/[/quote]

:laughing: First of all, I don’t teach. Secondly, if I did teach, you can be damn sure it wouldn’t be in Canada. The public school teachers are piss-poor and the unions are practically Communist.

I went to Catholic schools in Canada and to private schools in Australia.

Canada may like you (Canadians like everyone, so don’t make too much out of it), but I don’t want you educating my kids on the mechanics of English. Another subject – sure. But not English.

sacanada.org/[/quote]

:laughing: First of all, I don’t teach. Secondly, if I did teach, you can be damn sure it wouldn’t be in Canada. The public school teachers are piss-poor and the unions are practically Communist.

I went to Catholic schools in Canada and to private schools in Australia.

Canada may like you (Canadians like everyone, so don’t make too much out of it), but I don’t want you educating my kids on the mechanics of English. Another subject – sure. But not English.[/quote]

Why not? Do you only speak Chinese to them?

AFF wrote: [quote]Why not. [/quote]
Perhaps he would prefer a teacher who knows how to use a question mark!:wink:

Perhaps he would prefer a teacher who knows how to use a question mark!:wink:[/quote]

I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Does that marriage visa include open work rights?

Hello almas john, but if you go back and look at AAF’s post again, you would see he did use a question mark. Who’s stupid now?

The edit function is a great thing, Sherry. But it only works if the next poster hasn’t already quoted your mistake. :wink:
Unfortunately, the only saffie I know is Alleycat and you can be damn sure if he was in my employ he wouldn’t be teaching my kids English. No sirreebob, no way would I be letting him out of the kitchen.

The edit function is a great thing, Sherry. But it only works if the next poster hasn’t already quoted your mistake. :wink:
Unfortunately, the only saffie I know is Alleycat and you can be damn sure if he was in my employ he would definitely be teaching my kids English. Yes sirreebob![/quote]

The above quote is proof that one can be purposely misquoted. The quote funtion is not foolproof.

I must admit, I did add the question mark later.

My mistakes are the worst ones just because I’m a South African could become a song at forumosa. No wonder so few of my compatriots dare to speak out.

I don’t understand the bias aimed against South African teachers.

1. Many people speak English as their first language in South Africa.
  2. If other foreigners use their own dialect or slang, it’s not a problem. Sandman is one of them.
  3. The job most South Africans have to do, requires them to teach sentences like “I am going to the park.” How difficult could that be?
  4. I teach two kids who have either one or two English-speaking parents. One of them hardly speaks English and when he does, it sounds about the same as other, Taiwanese kids. The other has a vast knowledge of English vocabulary and her grammar is quite good, but she sings when she talks. I wonder if there are any kids who were born and bred in Taiwan (with English-speaking parents/an English-speaking parent) who speak fluently and without any audible Chinese influence. I know Sandman did not mean to be mean.
  5. A grudge I do have against some South African teachers is that they converse in Afrikaans without any qualms. When they do it with me, I reply in English and they probably think I’m putting on airs. I don’t care.