Any Filipinos online?

Any pinoys online?

Hi. I’m Filipina. My husband (also Filipino) might be assigned in Taipei sometime September. Nothing final yet, though. We originally thought we would be there by July but it keeps getting moved. How long have you been there? Are you enjoying it?

Cool, I’m Filipino, too How did you guys hear about ORIENTED?

I came across Oriented’s website thru a search engine. It has truly helped me a lot in learning about Taipei than any book I’ve read. From all the comments in the Forums, I was able to have a mental picture of Taipei but I was a bit surprised about what I actually saw when we went there for our “look/see”. Like, I was expecting heavy traffic. Well, I guess those who mentioned traffic conditions never drove in Manila where the expressway and EDSA practically looks like a huge parking lot during rush hours.

I still have ALOT of questions about living there tho, especially in the “Filipino” viewpoint. Like, how do the locals in the corporate world look at Filipinos–do they discriminate against Pinoys?

Gus, I was wondering if I could send you a private email regarding my questions. I read in one of the forums that you’ve been living in Taiwan for quite a long time and you would probably be the best person to ask. We are a bit nervous about the move since we do not know anyone there except the relocation agent and of course, she has been selling Taiwan like anything probably so that she could get her commission. It would be good to get a Filipino’s perspective before my husband signs his contract.

I heard about Oriented through friends.

My experience with it has been great so far. Thanks to this forum, I returned to one of my old passions: archery.

I’ve been in Taipei since September 2000, and my wife will be joining me this month.

Ballet Mom, what do you and your husband do for a living.

I work as a technical writer for a software company; my wife will be joining a marketing research firm.

Adroth, I’m a stay-at-home mom and my husband is a banker.

How do you like living in Taipei? Any tips?

quote[quote]I still have ALOT of questions about living there tho, especially in the "Filipino" viewpoint. Like, how do the locals in the corporate world look at Filipinos--do they discriminate against Pinoys?[/quote]

My old boss at this one software company in Taipei is a Filipina - she’s the most talented tech writer I’ve ever met, but the impression I got was that inside the company she had trouble with the Taiwanese upper management (especially with getting promotions) primarily because she was a Pinoy. At one point, right before she got the doc team managment job, the company bosses were considering going outside the company to find a replacement for the guy who left, which was insane because no-one in Taiwan was even remotely as qualified as she. Well, she took a sudden 1 month ‘vacation’ and left the doc team crippled. The company realized its mistake and gave her the job.

Now that I look back, I wonder if it was so much the company policy or the policy of one particular insane boss who is now the CEO (she started out as a secretary to an American business man who moved over to the company from Acer. How’s that for climbing the corporate hierachy?)

FB

Ballet Mom,

Feel free to write me at gus@oriented.org – although I may take some time to get back to you. At this very moment, I’m stranded in LA becuase my PAL flight to Manila was “delayed” 25 hours. I leave for the airport as soon as I get the Monday Weekly bulletin out (now in progress). On that note, I’ll be in Manila on Tuesday, and then I’m back to Taiwan the next day. If you e-mail me a number, maybe I can call you when I get to my parents’ place – then we can chat a bit in real time.

You actually are NOT the first Filipino family to ask me about the viability (wisdom) of a move to Taiwan. Now, this isn’t an often asked question, but – given the trials our country is enduring – it no longer is a surprising one.

Ask away – I hope I can help.

Are Pinoys discriminated against? I’m not the best person to ask about this. For two reasons: (1) I haven’t personally felt discriminated against (either becuase my own path has been shielded, or I’ve been stunningly blind) and (2) I also claim an “American’s” point of view (which could partly explain the first reason).

However, I have seen and heard about prejudice against filipinos and filipinas. I may be blind but I’m not THAT naive.

I agree that a Filipino perspective on life here differs from a lot of what you’ll read on these forums. Your traffic example is a good one – I’ve been here since 1993 and I’ve never seen traffic like I’ve experienced living and growing up in Manila. Not once. I’ve often commented to friends here that they ought to count their blessings – for they do not have to go far away to see what how difficult life can be in Asia.

I’ll look to share my own “slice of life” kind of perspective “by-and-by.” For now, let me leave you with some tips to look out for: there is a group of Filipino professionals (expats and their spouses) who bowl on Fridays that I’ve been meaning to connect with. Not surprisingly, Filipinos figure pretty large in the international church communities here (Catholic and Christian) – so plan to schmooze with people on Sundays – your netowrk will grow fast.

quote:
Originally posted by Gus: Filipinos figure pretty large in the international church communities here (Catholic and Christian)

Hmmm, I’ve always suspected that Catholics are not Christian – thanks for confirming that for me, Gus.

quote:
Originally posted by sandman:

Hmmm, I’ve always suspected that Catholics are not Christian – thanks for confirming that for me, Gus.

Its more “PC” to call them collectively as “Christians” rather than the Catholic-centered term “Protestant”.

Lets keep the religious discussion to religious threads shall we?

quote:
Originally posted by Ballet Mom: Adroth, I'm a stay-at-home mom and my husband is a banker.

How do you like living in Taipei? Any tips?

For me, and my wife whose been here in three previous visits, its great. With the exception of the high prices (I still haven’t gotten out of the habit of converting prices to pesos) – its actually a pretty decent place to live in. (I’ve seen caucasian-run websites that say differently; but like you said – perspectives are different. Think of it as much larger Makati, with a Malate-like area near Taiwan Normal University (Shida).

I can walk around at night with virtually no worries; cab drivers are pretty honest (nothing like the ones we have to put up with in Manila; they’re more like the ones we have back home in Davao).

People here do have a pre-conceived notions about us. Among other things, they have this idea that all of us are black. Personally, I haven’t experience any discrimination – but I heard it exists.

There are a number of Filipino stores: a couple near St. Christopher’s church, and at the Taipei Train Station. That’s where we stock up on the usual household stuff. Believe me, adobo cooked with the local soy sauce is very different from that with our own old reliable: Silver Swan.

Adroth, thanks for the info on Filipino stores. Guess I don’t have to buy my sinigang and kare kare mix from here. I was surprised at the prices! My kid’s staple of Velveeta macaroni and cheese was 4x Manila’s price when we looked at the grocery. Even stuff from Body Shop and Lush was about 50% more expensive there. It’s good to know that walking around at night is quite safe.

Gus, I would appreciate it very much if you could call me at 8072550 or 0917-8440203 (btw, my name’s Pixie). I’d like to invite you for lunch or dinner, if you have time. I live in Alabang but if you will be staying far from here, I can meet you either in Makati or Pasig or anywhere convenient for you.

Fuzzball, did your Filipina boss have problems with her staff? How did they feel about taking orders from her?

Pixie,

Everyone who worked for her liked her very much, as far as I know. I certainly liked her, but I’m American and couldn’t have cared less if she was Venus or the philippines or anywhere else for that matter. Another writer was from New Zealand, and they got on quite famously. Yet another writer was a Filipina hua chiao, and she liked working for her. The Chinese writers also liked her and no trouble at all taking orders from her.

FB

Can the local dry cleaning establishments handle “husi” barong tagalogs?

Moving this up

Adroth,

It’s interesting that you mention the notions the locals have, particularly the one that they think you are black. I hope you don’t take offence to that because I don’t when they always ask if I’m Filipino. But I do wonder where or how they possibly make that connection. :?:

I’m not Filipino but I love Filipino food. Can anyone tell me of a good Filipino restaurant in Taipei city? Thanks.

hindi ako pinoy, pero magtatalog rin ako kaunte…at magluto rin ako adobo, sinigang at tinola…

ax

On Sundays, a couple of the restaurants around St. Christopher’s Church switch to Filipino food. St. Chris is at 51, Chungshan N. Road, Sec. 3, at the corner of Tehwei St.

Enter Tehwei St from Chungshan and look to the your left and right – you’ll notice places using the names like “Barrio Fiesta”

It’s all there: dinuguan, crackling liempo (I’m getting hungry just thinking about it)

These are hole-in-the-wall type places – they look like your basic buffet where the server eye balls your plate and then names a price. The difference is that the food is Filipino.

There used to be one or two Pinoy places before. One up in Tienmou or Peitou (never made it up there), and there used to be a “Manila” pub in the Zone (near St. Chris)

Are the people at Saints and Sinners pinays? I wonder if they could whip up some Filipino food

One mor place – St. Cinnamon (sp?) over in Warner Village is owned by Chinese Filipinos. So if you know this chain from manila, you’ll see some familiar things (but no Filipino food)

I’m not sure if Adroth is specifically referring to us being thought of as “ethnically” black, or simply “dark-skinned”

Often, when a cab driver wants to chat me up, I am asked where I’m from. I say I’m Filipino and often hear a reply in Chinese, “but you aren’t black.” It’s pretty clear to me that they mean that my skin is not as dark as most Filipinos they’ve met or seen here. Of course, I’m often confused for being Japanese or Cantonese (probably becuase my Mandarin is, well, bad)