Any good ideas for Asian guys to meet foreign women in Taiwan?

[quote=“teeaacup”]I moved to Taipei not so long ago and plan to stay here for longer time.
I think it is not easy to find Taiwanese to go on date. Internet is full of creepy guys, and I don’t go to clubs.
Other problem is: they are so shy around foreign woman… (even if we talk in Chinese).[/quote]

well, there are plenty of ABC types in Taipei that aren’t that shy.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“teeaacup”]I moved to Taipei not so long ago and plan to stay here for longer time.
I think it is not easy to find Taiwanese to go on date. Internet is full of creepy guys, and I don’t go to clubs.
Other problem is: they are so shy around foreign woman… (even if we talk in Chinese).[/quote]

well, there are plenty of ABC types in Taipei that aren’t that shy.[/quote]

Is it shy or attraction. Asian guys like Western standard “skinny” girls. Western “normal” girls are considered fat here. I dont care, but I guarantee you the skinny blondes / brunettes, the guys are definitely NOT shy around the nightlife scene. They get hit on so much.

I’m Taiwanese, and I don’t really care about skinny girls. In fact its kinda nice to NOT have a skinny girl with no ass or breasts and it’s like i’m making love with a stick. Lol. Teacup you are welcome to meet me if you like and chat. People can be creepy on the internet just cuz they can… in real life they are shy and conservative and “normal”.

I heard PLASTIC SURGERY becomes affordable these time of the year.
You might want to try that…:smiley:

I see posts from white girls saying TW guys are too shy but I don’t know. I find Western women (at least ones I have seen, as I don’t do nightlife so much), while eager to talk is not so easy to get into relationships with.

What do you mean? Could you elaborate a little?

A lot of them are not very open to the idea of getting into relationships with, or marrying a Taiwanese men. They never explain why but I think nearly every white women I have seen in Taiwan will only want to go with other white men, because in practice that’s what I end up seeing. But most white women I see here are missionaries or something of that sort, so I don’t know if those types tends to be somewhat racist…

I don’t have any other venue to meet “normal” white women in Taiwan, ie. mostly liberal and stuff. In America I never notice anything like that…

I see. Might it be because those women have no intention to settle down in Taiwan?

Yea, seems funny that someone commits to being missionary in Taiwan and has no intention of settling down here…

I committed to a long term plan here, but after arriving my attitude towards Taiwan went from “I want to settle here” to “Heck no, but good for a relatively short stay” in no time.

Haha, ironically my attitude has been the opposite. Planned to come for 1 year, now definitely want to stay longer.

For people who want to date a foreign (usually meaning Western or white) woman, I would suggest just being yourself and do not deliberately seek white women. I came to Taiwan with an open mind and no particular preference for Western vs. Asian guys. Practically from the time I stepped off the plane I was pursued by a handful of Taiwanese guys who made it really clear they were specifically seeking a Western woman – always wanted to use me for English practice, had dreams of studying abroad (I am a recent college graduate, so most of them were college aged), approached me with a clear set of stereotypes in mind such as “Western women are low maintenance/outdoorsy/easy-going/good sense of humor” (which, despite being positive attributes, did not fit me at all) and generally made me feel like I was being judged on my race and not as an individual – which is a big no-no in the United States, where I come from. Those guys generally did not have a chance and probably left feeling like “Western women just don’t like Taiwanese guys”.

Then I met my now-SO at a school event. He didn’t display any of the above behaviors-- in fact, I don’t think he ever considered dating an American before he met me. We first hung out in group activities (going to the songshan cultural park 文創園區 or elephant mountain 象山, for example), then started having really long conversations about society, politics, etc. via LINE/Facebook :blush: and gradually started meeting one on one, and he eventually successfully asked me to be his girlfriend. It was very similar to the process I had falling for and dating boyfriends in the States, and while cultural differences obviously come up (Chinese New Year!), we get through them.
We’re also both extremely open-minded people who don’t necessarily feel the need to strictly adhere to traditions. I am not sure if a conservative person from either culture would be able to make an international romance work out.

Anyway, I just saw that there are like 10 threads with some variation of this thread’s theme(how to obtain a white woman) so I just thought I wanted to share this story. I think an entire attitude adjustment is needed. If you go to any place specifically because there are white women there, it will be really obvious to those women and they will probably be uncomfortable with it.

1 Like

Anyway, I just saw that there are like 10 threads with some variation of this thread’s theme(how to obtain a white woman) so I just thought I wanted to share this story. I think an entire attitude adjustment is needed. If you go to any place specifically because there are white women there, it will be really obvious to those women and they will probably be uncomfortable with it.[/quote]
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

In other words, if you have superficial motives, women can see through the transparency most of the time. Men and women are fundamentally different in this sense, especially when it comes to dating in Taiwan; men typically don’t mind the occasional superficial relationship, but that won’t fly with women most of the time.

If you want to date a foreign woman to date a foreign woman, chances are it will be very hard for you.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]A lot of them are not very open to the idea of getting into relationships with, or marrying a Taiwanese men. They never explain why but I think nearly every white women I have seen in Taiwan will only want to go with other white men, because in practice that’s what I end up seeing. But most white women I see here are missionaries or something of that sort, so I don’t know if those types tends to be somewhat racist…

I don’t have any other venue to meet “normal” white women in Taiwan, ie. mostly liberal and stuff. In America I never notice anything like that…[/quote]

Foreign missionary women are not allowed to date. Most of them are not even allowed to have physical contact with men (or anyone, really) and that means even brushing hands, much less hugging, hand holding, and god forbid kissing. They are not allowed to be alone with anyone of the opposite sex that is not an elder in their missionary. Missionary work is finite: they get 12-24 months here, then they go home. They are not expected to stay, and are looked down upon if they do because they are expected to go home and marry someone of their own religion. Missionary women in particular are in a special kind of situation and are very limited in the kind of life they can have while here in Taiwan (as in, no life of their own). They are not allowed to go to night clubs, or bars, and for many, drinking alcohol is against their religion. In fact, one women, who left her religion following her mission described it to being similar to prison.

These are all reasons you may have not found missionary women to be inviting in that way. They are here to serve god, not Taiwanese men.

If you want to know why the “general population” of white women isn’t flocking towards Taiwanese men it probably comes down to this: Culture. White men can often get by without learning much about local culture because their Taiwanese girlfriends will fill in the gaps. White women may be willing to help Taiwanese men fill in the gaps, but Taiwanese men will not have much luck until they can bridge that gap or at least interact with foreign women with a little more tact, grace, and sincerity.

My girlfriend has given this advice: Ignore the advice of white men and be yourself; if she doesn’t like that you shouldn’t be with her anyway. They’re either into you or their not. You can’t just go into their habitat like you’re trailing an endangered species to bag one, that’s weird. :2cents:

I am guessing you are talking about Mornom missionary? Ones I deal with aren’t that restricted.

If they are on a Mission, they are incredibly restricted, Mormon or not. Mission guidelines are very clear and are very strict, especially for women, who will be sent home in disgrace if they act in any way that is deemed out of place. Women and men are nowhere near equal on missions.

Again, women on missions to Taiwan are not here to serve Taiwanese men, they are here to serve god. Their interactions will locals are to serve that particular purpose.

[quote=“Simajie”]If they are on a Mission, they are incredibly restricted, Mormon or not. Mission guidelines are very clear and are very strict, especially for women, who will be sent home in disgrace if they act in any way that is deemed out of place. Women and men are nowhere near equal on missions.

Again, women on missions to Taiwan are not here to serve Taiwanese men, they are here to serve god. Their interactions will locals are to serve that particular purpose.[/quote]

You are overgeneralizing. How that purpose is interpreted varies widely among missionaries. Ever hear of the “Family of God” group? If not, Google them. They were rather active in Taiwan for a while.

[quote=“Rotalsnart”][quote=“Simajie”]If they are on a Mission, they are incredibly restricted, Mormon or not. Mission guidelines are very clear and are very strict, especially for women, who will be sent home in disgrace if they act in any way that is deemed out of place. Women and men are nowhere near equal on missions.

Again, women on missions to Taiwan are not here to serve Taiwanese men, they are here to serve god. Their interactions will locals are to serve that particular purpose.[/quote]

You are overgeneralizing. How that purpose is interpreted varies widely among missionaries. Ever hear of the “Family of God” group? If not, Google them. They were rather active in Taiwan for a while.[/quote]

This entire thread is generalizing… :ponder:

Told you guys about that pretty girl from the Moonies who literally “used” herself as bait to bring guys to the, ehem, group? Local Taiwanese girl, though. But guys were furriners and locals. Ironic if you think they arrange marriages and also forbid BF/GF relationships, so, all the guys’ efforts were in vain.

Sorry, have a bad impression of religious groups in general, unless there is charity work involved. I really do not think it is a good idea to mix one and the other, flirting and working in the name of the Lord.

Last one I heard flirting with Mormons was a male gay friend…

In summary, if religion is important to you and you already attend church, finding your match in that environment is Okish. Someone coming here for working and answering to a higher call: you are a distraction! At least. A temptation at best.

[quote=“Simajie”][quote=“Rotalsnart”][quote=“Simajie”]If they are on a Mission, they are incredibly restricted, Mormon or not. Mission guidelines are very clear and are very strict, especially for women, who will be sent home in disgrace if they act in any way that is deemed out of place. Women and men are nowhere near equal on missions.

You are overgeneralizing. How that purpose is interpreted varies widely among missionaries. Ever hear of the “Family of God” group? If not, Google them. They were rather active in Taiwan for a while.[/quote]

This entire thread is generalizing… :ponder:[/quote]

True enough. :slight_smile:

Go to places they hang out.