Any ideas?

I have had a few wierd symptoms lately. I have just put it down to exhaustion and withdrawall symptoms from nicotine (quit 2 months ago) However, I have noticed that when I wake up in the mornings my eyes are bloodshot some of the time. I often get headaches in the mastoid region behind the ear and just above the eyes. Lately, I have also been feeling more tired than usual. Some other symptoms include sweating and urine that is quite dark. Any ideas of what this could be???

Thks.
Chewy

Are you drinking enough water?

I am a rugby sized fellow…(6’1 230) To answer your question…Not enough probably. I know during the summer one should drink 3 one litre bottles of water a day. I usually drink 3 small bottles of liquid during the work day and a bottle at night…I also sleep with the a/c and fan on. Lately though its been dark yellow maybe 60 percent of the time.

More fruit, more water, that’s what mom says.

How’s your blood sugar level?

Kidney Infection maybe… I had one of these before… and it was a bitch to get rid of… and had similar symtoms to what you had

or as Boss Hog said maybe your sugar levels

BTW how long have you had these symptoms?

Are you taking any medications?

I am not sure about my sugar levels. How would I go and measure such a thing? Whats the best way to get a diagnosis? As for a kidney infection, how would I determine if that is the problem? How did you get the diagnosis? What was the treatment. I have never had problems with my kidneys before. Today I have noticed that my leg hurt a little when I walk. Like I had been tackled hard in an American football game. Thanks very much for the info!!!

Sugar levels. The pharmacy (drug store) should have some urine test strips. Pee on the strips and check the colors. Tests PH levels, sugar levels, etc. If any of these are on the high side you should go and see a Doctor and get some proper blood and urine tests done.

As the Hogg said, straight forward physical by any doctor would deal with the urine test. Not to freak you but get off to a quack asap.
Basic blood and urine tests cost nothing and can usually pick up most systemic maladies.

If both are clear, things get more complicated.

You said you gave up smoking, did you use any aids?

Good health.

HG

You really sound dehydrated to me. If you can pinch the skin on the back of your hand, and the skin doesn’t immediatly snap back, you’re dehydrated for sure. Also, bottles of liquid don’t equal bottles of water. Lots of liquid we drink everyday actually will cause you to need more water, not less.

Dehydration can cause lots of symptoms including muscle aches and red eyes. And it can be serious if left for too long.

I’m not saying don’t go to dr. to find out about other things. Sounds like you really need to trip to make sure, and if nothing else, to give you peace of mind. But do start drink water. Force it down. This is the hottest summer on record here and water surely won’t hurt if you have some other kind of prob.

Salud!

HG,

No just quit cold turkey. I had a minor cold 2 months ago and after I recovered it had been a week. At first I thought maybe some of my headaches and lack of attention span could have been withdrawal cravings. My attention has returned but I still get headaches particularly in the evening.

FYI,

prevention.com/cda/feature20 … 45,00.html?

Especially relevant in this kind of weather.

Chewycorns:

Hats off! I’m about to try again.

By the by, Taiwan seems to have an inordinate amount of people suffering kidney stones. Sorry, couldn’t find the report. Not that I think that’s what your problem is.

HG

[quote=“housecat”]Also, bottles of liquid don’t equal bottles of water. Lots of liquid we drink everyday actually will cause you to need more water, not less.
[/quote]

These are the only studies I found on the subject after a quick search on MEDLINE:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer … t=Abstract

Neither seems to support the idea about drinks other than water increasing the need for water. Are there other studies out there?

Chewycorns, go see a doctor. A lot of things can cause a change in urine color and other symptoms. There’s no sense in wasting time and money trying to diagnose it yourself when health care is so cheap here. If you’re not happy with the first quack, try another.

Look in the mirror and see if you appear pale. If so, you could be suffering from irregular bowel movements. You should buy some prunes at the local supermarket, and eat 15 or 20 a day until the condition improves . . . . .

[quote=“jeff”][quote=“housecat”]Also, bottles of liquid don’t equal bottles of water. Lots of liquid we drink everyday actually will cause you to need more water, not less.
[/quote]

These are the only studies I found on the subject after a quick search on MEDLINE:

Neither seems to support the idea about drinks other than water increasing the need for water. Are there other studies out there?

.[/quote]

Try drinking a liter of whisky–a drink other than water–instead of water before bed. This will greatly increase your need for water. Beer will do the same only to a lesser extent.

In any case, it sounds a lot like dehydration to me, as well. More water may be the key.

The Chinese medicine shops should also be able to recommend various herbal teas which will improve the functioning of your intestines . . . . . . especially the elimination of wastes therefrom.

Or maybe you’re just naturally pale. Or need some sun. Anyone, would you need to look into the mirror to know if you have irregular bowel movements? Why not just look into the toilet… or notice the times that you are visiting it.

Yes indeed. However I’m sure there is more than enough things about life in Taiwan, and/or the moaning of Forumosans to hasten elimination from the excretory organs. Which by the way, is technically called giving one the shits.

HG