Any mental health professionals?

That’s really what it is too. Practice. I met up with quite a few folks in Taiwan in October/November, most of whom I’d never met. If I found myself talking too much, which I totally do, and saw say @Marco look at his watch, I’d immediately ask him a question and shift the focus. I know why I talk too much, bc I’d really rather not talk at all, but I read a lot and enjoy sharing what I read with other people. The strategy I learned though after learning to share what I had read, was to pick up cues from the people I was talking to and realize when I was hogging the spotlight. I learned to share.

Uhm, living mine?

2 Likes

Evidently :grin:

back to OP.

OP should think about this. You got a test, diagnosis of something, then?

If you have some ability to earn minimum wage, I guess there may be not much of government help you could get by the whatever diagnosis.

@Taiwan_Luthiers if you don’t have money in Taiwan and have American citizenship, why don’t you move there and collect disability insurance or welfare until you can get diagnosed? Most states have support, no?

1 Like

There’s a post/poll on why people stay in Taiwan. You are commenting on it. Read your comments they are very judge mental. You do seem to only see things from your point of view. You in other posts I’ve read have a pattern of claiming certain posters constantly attack you etc. Maybe don’t post comments until you have read them a few times and see if they could be misconstrued ? Maybe try and imagine there is another perspective on topics you are discussing.

You ever try to write a program to tell a computer how to tell a cat from a dog, you know based on images and a set of rules. You often get this

With asperger’s it’s like how I am with empathy. It’s not that I don’t have it but I have difficulty recognizing when you are baring your heart to me.

1 Like

I’m not dismissing how you feel. But you often feel attacked by some posters on here, yet don’t recognize your attacks. You make sweeping generalizations about groups of people, maybe at least online you have the time to pause and rewrite your posts and make yourself the target , see if you find it attacking etc

3 Likes

Don’t let it define you as a person.

Some days, I want to give up. It’s a battle to get out of bed. To put in effort in what I’m doing. But I’ve pushed through before, so i keep going.

I’ll post this for you as I think it’s something that can help you.

Our Greatest Fear —Marianne Williamson

it is our light not our darkness that most frightens us

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.

There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other

people won’t feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of
God that is within us.

It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.

—Marianne Williamson

It’s scary to know you can accomplish more than what you are now. This realization makes us realize we are not inadequate, but responsible for ourselves. And we must put in the actions that are uncomfortable to us. To change what we’re doing for a different result. The responsibility is debilitating for most people to realize. That we could always do more. Be more.

What a successful person said to me stuck. Take stock of your life everyday. Your belief system and actions. When you do that, you began to see what could change. Did you speak to your mom poorly. Did you get lazy and didn’t push through that last rep at the gym. Did you get up late.

It’s fucking uncomfortable. I’ll tell you this now.

2 Likes

Tea shops, Subway sandwich shops , pay above 30k a month, and the work does not require any skills or socialization.
maybe that can be a short term solution for you.

1 Like

Er… no. I wish, but nope.

Thinking of yourself in terms like “asperger” or “autistic” can create a barrier to change. It can become self actualising. For me, I might think “I can’t hold a conversation” so I won’t bother trying.
With these sorts of problems you need to change your way of thinking, which can be very difficult. But our thoughts directly lead to the outcomes of our mood and behaviour.
I think a big issue in our society, relating to various mental and mood disorders, is medication. Because it creates a reliance on a quick fix, and a belief that if I can just get the right drug to fix the imbalanced chemicals everything will be okay. But anyway I’m convinced the most effective ingredient in antidepressants are the placebos.

You can spend your life worrying about assigning problems and disorders to yourself, but that won’t get you anywhere. I found I’m Avoidant Personality Disorder. Well, reading about that helps me understand my issues and how they come about. But then what?

You need to challenge your own negative thoughts, beliefs and conceptions. You are obviously overanalysing the situation and assigning worst case scenarios (in CBT these are called Catastrophising and Mind Reading). Perhaps like me you spend too much time inside your own head and too much energy worrying. You need to try think from a perspective outside your own head; try and imagine the situation as an objective observer.
A big thing I have been realising recently is that it just doesn’t matter that much. I have great anxiety over the way I present and the way people see me, but when I think about a flaw I worry about, and then think “if I saw someone with that same problem, would I care? Would I think much of it?” Usually the answer is no. I might notice it, but so what.

2 Likes

People saying don’t let it define you make an excellent point. If the cause of the problem is Aspergers it takes it out of your hands, there is nothing you can do. But if you accept it’s your problem then you can begin to do something about it. I’m sure you are a lot more than Aspergers.

Yes, once again. Yes. TL is diagnosing himself. Big no no in ANY mental health crisis.

So since you’re an expert in mental health, by what standard would you diagnose me of anything?

Is there some 4 hour long test I am supposed to undergo for this?

I’m not and I have never implied that I was a MH expert.

I haven’t and I wouldn’t.

If there was a test, do you think you’d fail?

Listen, I’m not getting drawn back into this. Go see a therapist. I’m fairly certain that is covered by the NHI.

1 Like

Sorry, but Taiwan’s attitude towards mental health isn’t unlike the US (or most other places). Ignore it until it causes a big problem, then demonize the hell out of it.

I don’t even care. IMVHO it is exactly what you need. You are too afraid to go, also imho.

Is that what you want? To wait until you are in a real crisis, knocking stuff off the shelves in 7-11 kind of crisis? THEN, you think, people will take your problems seriously? You have issues dude, and all you think about is how others will see you? You worry about how Taiwanese will look down on you? Why ffs? I’m in therapy. Have been for years. They don’t brand you. No one fucking knows unless I tell them.

You already feel demonized I’ll bet.

What’s to lose? Really. Please don’t become addicted to your own personal brand of suffering. Life is hard enough. You want help. You admit you need help. You have people showing you where to GO for help. But you won’t go. And that, sir, is precisely why you should go.

I can’t recall ANYONE on this forum who has given you shit about getting help, medication or therapeutic. You won’t be demonized here. Seriously though. I’m out of this. Pick up the fucking phone and call a hotline and get an appointment. Good luck to you.

3 Likes