Any other Forumosans in a Taiwanese quarantine hotel?

i ate like that for 3 weeks, and saved the rubber bands!

2 Likes

It’s a Hotel in Taichung. Today’s breakfast was a Hamburger and a pack of peach juice. Forgot to take a photo tho.

Today’s Lunch and Dinner:

5 Likes

looks like… noodles… with a side of… noodles…

4 Likes

The side was a tofu salad. All very oily. I remember being excited when I got a green salad or fruit. After I requested drinks with no sugar, they did oblige.
I threw out 90% of the food and took a break from eating for about 3 days. When you are restricted to one room, you can’t eat that much.
I hooked up my laptop to the TV and did exercise videos, watched everything on Netflix, and studied some things. I did have some work to do for a few hours each day. Friends called to chat.
It isn’t normal for healthy people to be locked up in a room. Even prisoners get exercise time.

10 Likes

I’ll be back in Taiwan in about 16 hours so I’ll add my Q hotel experience. I’ll be staying at this place in Taoyuan:

享樂文旅桃園館 (Hedo Hotel)

I was assured my room would have a window. If it has a bathtub as well I’ll be super happy.

I just picked this up at SFO to help pass the time in quarantine…

6 Likes

I never got a goodie bag. Is it only for locals?

I wouldn’t feel too hard done by either way - from the photos I’ve seen of those, they looked like someone had been given a NT$450 voucher for Hi-Life and 30 seconds to fill the basket. “Goodie” may be hyperbole, especially after spending NT$30k+ to be locked up. :grin:

4 Likes

Ohh you’re probably right. Probably don’t need the junk food :joy:.

Oh he is right to complain. At the beginning of the plague, they really packed those goodie bags with treats. We are talking beyond noodles and cookies.

Now, you have to bring your own thermometer in some cases.

1 Like

I did pay 45,000 ntd for the privilege of being locked in a hotel room with no window.

I wonder what would happen if you just didn’t bring one anyway? (My room had one)

3 Likes

Seems like they expect you to bring your own window too.

How are you doing so far? Body clock seriously messed up?

I’m doing alright so far but yeah my body clock is all fucked up without natural light. Just gotta make it to the end of the week now

3 Likes

Since I have nothing else to do…

AIRPORT

First stop are signs about scanning a QR code, which brings up a website to enter your info including flight number, quarantine hotel info, Covid test/vaccine questions, etc. There were plenty of workers to help you through it. After submitting you’ll get a text message within 2 minutes with the necessary forms filled in from what you input. Take screen shots of the forms from the text message and proceed.

[Note: After showing my Covid PCR test at the first airport of my return trip, I was never asked to show it again, even in Taiwan, which surprised me. I only had to check a box on the form that I had taken the test.]

If you don’t have a Taiwanese cell number there are sim card sellers right there as well. Expect long lines there.

At the next station show your screen shots, passport, etc. and they give you a home test that you need to do on the 20th day and a paper to get a test done right there at the airport. Then it’s off to immigration where you can still use egate, thank goodness.

After baggage you’re directed to go outside the airport around the corner to a station where you submit a saliva sample and they slap a sticker on you and it’s off to the taxi station. Another form there, then the driver will spray you with alcohol then it’s off to the quarantine hotel.

[Note: A sign on the taxi lists the flat rate prices to various cities. Meter pricing is used for Taipei, NTC, Taoyuan, Keelung, and Hsinchu with a 1,000 max to these cities]

HOTEL

Pretty normal check in. I need to Line message my temperature to the front desk twice a day. Room came with a case of bottled water, thermometer, cutlery set, laundry powder, dishwashing soap, alcohol spray, big supply of toiletries, ear plugs, and one package of ramen.

My room has a window (wall facing but at least I get some natural light), fridge, coffee & water boiler…standard hotel stuff.

Love the bathtub because I don’t have one in my apartment. I’m using UberEats for my meals. Price of room is $2,000/night (I chose no meals). I got the room through a former student who works here so I’m not sure if that’s a special rate or not.

Got a call from the police this morning checking in, asking about my health and if there’s anything I need. So far the experience has been pretty smooth and pleasant.

Here are the instructions that came with the room if anyone is curious…

5 Likes

Lucky…
I hate the 5.30 daylight.

I’ve covered my windowpanes at home to shut out the light.

1 Like

Enjoy! Um, I guess that’s not the right word.

I totally forgot that I registered with the eGate last time I entered Taiwan, well over two years ago now. I’ve never had the chance to use it!

I hope quarantine is no longer a thing the next time I plan to be flying into Taiwan (August 2022), but I should remember to bring my Apple TV box along with me. Or are there other ways to link up a hotel TV to one’s iPad or other subscriptions?

I’ve learned to accept it in summer, and go to bed around 9:30pm. Plus it helps me get up for bike rides when the temperatures are still … um, not exactly bearable, but at least not yet insane.

1 Like

HDMI?

Sorry, don’t know. You’re asking the guy who needed his nine year old granddaughter to work the TV for me!

3 Likes

Dunno, I guess it depends on the device. I’m in the Apple world, which I believe you’re somewhat contemptuous of … Apple being Apple, I’d be surprised if a cable connection between an iPad and a TV is easy. But from a notebook it’d hopefully be easier.

Yeah, we’re somewhat off-topic, but I can see this being helpful for those in quarantine hotels: can people typically log in to their Netflix or HBO or whatever accounts on hotel TVs these days? I have no idea how that works. My plan would be to bring along the Apple TV box and connect that, but maybe these days it’s easy to just use your own log-in information.

Crap, I think it may be four or five years since I’ve even stayed in a hotel. It’s certainly a very long time since I’ve cared about watching anything on a hotel TV.

There are HDMI adapters for iPads. I have one for my iPad 2. It’s that easy to hook up.

https://shopee.tw/高清版iPhone-12-13-7-Xr通用-HDMI-隨插即用-電視HDMI傳輸線-蘋果專用-電視線-支援IOS15-i.48597917.992245226?sp_atk=4d6cba97-ad0e-40e2-9b04-f0ffae9807b4

https://shopee.tw/台灣出貨-iPhone轉HDMI轉接線-iPhone電視線-蘋果HDMI轉接頭-手機轉電視手機連顯示器Lightning-i.464072453.11417072436?sp_atk=3e4a465b-da63-4448-88c8-ab9d15eca167

Otherwise you can always hook up a laptop too.

2 Likes

Jeez that’s tough man, hang in there.