Anyone gone to the beach N. of taipei?

how was it…worth the trip…apparently you can take the mrt to the end and your there.

Do you mean Tamshui? It’s not a beach. i guess that’s why some people get disappointed when they go there. It’s a coastal town, but I wouldn’t swim there because it’s right ont he mouth of the Tamshui River which is pollutedas hell. People like to go to Tamshui, do this little walk along the ‘shore’ (it’s not really a shore) and buy Tamshui’s special foods. It’s worth a trip, becuase it’s so easy to get to, but don’t expect too much.

If you want a beach I recommend Da Xi (Da Shi). You take the slow train to the East Coast for about 2 hours. Balck sand, a little surf and totally uncrowded.

Bri

the best beach in taiwan, i reckon is baishawan (white sand bay). it’s on the north, about 25 minutes east of tamshui. you can take a bus from the mrt. the water is nice and clean and you can walk out really far. Fulong (by train, east coast) is crap because the water is polluted. and there’s lots of tiny, hungry jellyfish.

Have you been to Da Xi? I heard that Bai Sha Wan’s not as good, but I’ve never been there. It’s worth checking out then huh?

Bri

Can anyone post the Chinese characters for Bai Sha Wan and romanization with tones please?

Have some visitors and they want to go a beach during the next couple of days. As they may need to go alone (don’t speak/read Chinese) it has to be someplace that can be easily reached and Bai Sha Wan sounds like the right place for a half-day trip from Taipei …

Edit: got it already, thanks!

[quote]By BUS:

Starting from Dan Shui(淡水), take a bus that goes towards Jin Shan(金山), or take the Tai Chi Chung Shin (台汽中興號)bus towards Ji Long(基隆) and get off at Bai Sha Wan(白沙灣站)stop. Follow the signs to enter Bai Sha Wan Ocean Park. After 50 meters of walk, you will see a fork, take the right fork and go for another 1 km. You will arrival at Bai Sha Wan beach(白沙灣海灘).[/quote]
rockacola.com/forum/msg_show … 26&b_Id=36

Good grief. Even Daxi is a thousand times nicer than Baishawan…

Good grief. Even Daxi is a thousand times nicer than Baishawan…[/quote]
Yeah, for sure. Maybe you meant “the best beach within half an hour from Danshui.”

Think Taidong, think southeast of Kending, think …

penghu

I was trying to stay on “Taiwan proper” but since you point it out…

I was trying to stay on “Taiwan proper” but since you point it out…[/quote]

sorry, I’ve been finding it increasingly difficult lately to remain proper. :blush:

green island. A lot of the “beaches” are pretty rocky but lordy lord what a great place to snorkel!

I went to Baishawan (白沙灣 Bai2 Sha1 Wan1) for the first time this week. In many ways it’s better than Daxi. I long white sand beach. Well, I guess if you like white sand go to Baisha, and if you like surf, go to Daxi.

We walked well away form the coralled area and swum, and had no problems with people tellign us nto to swim there.

Brian

BaiShaWan is nice for swimming and just relaxing it’s pretty clean. There’s another beach 15 minutes north of it called Chin-Shan. It’s a bit rocky, but the surf and waves are better there.

Good grief. Even Daxi is a thousand times nicer than Baishawan…[/quote]
Yeah, for sure. Maybe you meant “the best beach within half an hour from Danshui.”

Think Taidong, think southeast of Kending, think …[/quote]

good lord baishawan must be a shit hole then? daxi is a shadow of its former self…

Kenting was great the first time I went, but the water is full of little and big rocks that smack into your ankles! Ouch, not a pleasent surprise.

I am used to the soft sand beahes of souther California. Are there any soft sand beaches in Taiwan…some place where you can wade out and not be walking on pebbles or get smacked in the ankles?

Is Baishawan like this?

[quote=“derek1978”]Kending was great the first time I went, but the water is full of little and big rocks that smack into your ankles! Ouch, not a pleasent surprise.
[/quote]

Where in Kenting were you?

The best beach in Taiwan is Nan Wan IMHO. Nice sand. The conditions are usually very good. It can get crowded during peak season but if you just go out where it’s a bit deeper you will have the entire swimming area to yourself.

Bai Sha Wan just outside of Kenting is nice as well. It’s about 20 minutes away but it’s much less crowded.
:offtopic:

Sorry.

I like Bai Sha Wan north (as opposed to the won close to Kenting). It’s close enough to be able to wake up early, go to the beach and make it back to Taipei for an afternoon class.

Which beach is better for swimming Bai Sha North or Fulong? I’ve never been to Fulong in the summer.

More importantly of course. Which beach has more bikinis? :slight_smile:

[quote=“derek1978”]Kending was great the first time I went, but the water is full of little and big rocks that smack into your ankles! Ouch, not a pleasent surprise.

I am used to the soft sand beahes of souther California. Are there any soft sand beaches in Taiwan…some place where you can wade out and not be walking on pebbles or get smacked in the ankles?

Is Baishawan like this?[/quote]

I can’t imagine where in Kenting you got smacked in the ankles by rocks…Surely not Nanwan, where the sand equals or exceeds anything in So. California for softness (I grew up 20 minutes from Malibu). Fulong has pretty decent sand, so does Baishawan.

There are plenty of ankle biting beaches in Southern Ca as well dude :wink:

Plus here you get 80degree ocean temps and don’t have to do the “sting ray shuffle” :sunglasses:

I’ve surfed both Jinshan and Daxi… they’re ok… a bit trashed up though… and it can get crowded too.

It’s really sad that not many beaches are nice in Taiwan. Most people might think that
Kenting is a decent one. However, I saw a news on TV saying the bacteria of Kenting
beach have gone over the standard value. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo~

[quote=“Matts9791”]It’s really sad that not many beaches are nice in Taiwan. Most people might think that
Kending is a decent one. However, I saw a news on TV saying the bacteria of Kending
beach have gone over the standard value. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo~[/quote]

Happens after every typhoon. The EPA does tests every two weeks. Check them out if concerned.

As for beaches, I’m from Canada so they all look great to me as long as they are clean (which is sadly not to be counted on).

It’s interesting how people’s ideas of a good beach vary. AWOL thought Daxi was very good in the old days but I never liked it much. Dark brown sand, lousy for swiming, looked like something you’d go to if the better beach was full. I thought Baishawan on the other hand was a very attractive beach. And yet, AWOL’s recent visit he found the sand brown (???), and litter everywhere. Weird.