Sanxia Living

Hey, I live here for 14 years, never seen a trash hill … the garbage incinerator is in Yingge, not Sanxia and I have never smelled anything … BTW, wind blows mostly from Taipei down to the south, never over Sanxia from that point.
There is a dump on the road to Dashi, in the hills, but that has no influence on Sanxia town, there is a community nearby the dump (they could smell it on hot days), but it’s about 4-5km outside town.

In the early nineties, there used to be garbage dumped next to the river reaching from Hengshi all the way to Banxiou (10km) … that, they changed into a riverside bike path, no more garbage.

Anyways, let me know if you come this way, I’ll show you around … but PM first.

The only people that have to be scared of crime are the ones that are involved with loan sharks … living next to an ‘internet cafe’ is not pleasant too … as it attracts weird people, especially during night time … there are also the ‘arcades’ that pop-up in empty, difficult to rent-out first floor spaces, attracts ‘low life’ at night …

Just keep your distance from ‘piano’ bars … or ‘barber’ shops …

Except the Belgians. They supplement their own effluent with stuff they scrape off the street. Its a small consolation, of course. Shit is shit, no matter where it comes from. As for restaurants, I was there on Tuesday and had this hot & sour soup with chunks of deep-fried eel in it. Bloody delectable, IMO.

Definitely better than haggis … :eh:

Ach, these eccentric continentals with their weird ideas!

I lived in Sanxia for a year when I first came to Taiwan and really grew to like it, especially once I got a motorcycle and was able to hit the lovely countryside that BelgianPie mentioned.

Since then I’ve been living in Danshui for most of 3 years and environment-wise I like it even more than Sanxia but I cant handle the location and the mind-boggling traffic/lack of ways in and out.

That, along with the fact that my missus has a new job in Taoyuan, means I’m moving back to Sanxia (huzzah!) The new area by the university (Sanying neighborhood) is really convenient. The community we are moving into has a bus stop for the MRT express bus (922) and a carrefour downstairs.

Sanxia is also an ideal place for people like me who loathe Taipei City and want to get the hell out as fast as possible on the weekends.

In my experience, Freeway 3 is far superior to Freeway 1 both for getting in and out of the Taipei area.

And to the OP, from a financial perspective I think Sanxia is a good bet but the prices have gone up a lot recently as the communities are starting to fill and they are quickly getting out of the realm of good value. 2 years ago would have been great. However, I think Taipei real-estate in general is a dodgy investment because its artificially inflated by miserly rich people and a lot of prominent politicians (like DPP’s Tsai) have started to complain about it because it seems to be exacerbating Taiwan’s aging demographic (young people cant buy homes and start families very easily).

Anyway, enough rambling, I highly recommend the place!

Thanks for all the insights. I am definitely going to take a look at the area when I go back in a few months. I hear that the new communities in the area are really nice. My parents went to take a look at they love the area. I just have to find a place I can afford : ) . I hear that the pricing might drop in the next few months because people are trying to dump their empty homes so they do not have to pay the tax on them.

I don’t want to be a stickler, but… ABC = American Born Chinese. American Born = American Citizen, i.e. foreigner. Chinese = Not Taiwanese, i.e. foreigner. So aren’t you just a foreigner who speaks fluent Chinese? Kind of like the 1.5 billion across the straits?

Edit: btw, I’m not having you on, I’m just wondering.

I think it’s kind a misnomer … American Chinese invented the word to sound a little more … American … in the good ol’ days that America was still a world force … and could carry some weight … well, whatever … :whistle:
But is a Belgian born Chinese a BBC?
Netherlands born NBC? or is it HBC … Holland born?
England born an EBC?
French born a FBC?
German born a GBC?
Irish born an ISBC (Irish Stew Born Chinese) … just a joke …
How do you actually call an Africa born one …? AFBC or is it ABC … how do you distinguish between African born and American born than …

You are preaching to the converted, mate. :notworthy:

Croissants are French, not Sanxian. My complaint is you can’t find a decent waffle to eat in Sanxia. You can read Belgian Pies waffles on forumosa, but you go there and all you get is pies and tarts. Not that I have anything against a good tart.

At least he doesn’t serve French fries, God bless him.

@Bismarck Just because I was born in the States does not mean I am a foreigner. I am Taiwanese by blood and according to the Taiwan I am not considered a foreigner. I am considered a Taiwanese born overseas. I do believe that to be considered a foreigner you would have no ties with the country to begin with.

@Bismarck is an African Born Tainanese , ABT

I’ll be leaving Sanxia, Taiwan for a few months … at the and of April … Going visit the family in Belgium, after my return there is a chance I’ll be starting something different, something wafflely … :ponder: waffelly … base will be Sanxia, but not a restaurant as before, all depends on talks with some people that are seemingly interested … if things run different, I’ll be probably leaving for good … or move east (between Hualian and Taidong)

Anyways, just need to find a solution for my dogs …

Aaaah! So you’re not an ABC, then. You are in fact an ABT. In that case, you aren’t a foreigner and would probably be quite happy in Sanxia. :wink:

Love it! :thumbsup:

Wrong. They really DO have an ahem “famous local delicacy” croissant. They’re hard, filled with that fake butter they use here, and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Absolutely disgusting things.

Sandman, how long are you on the board? You should know better … famous things are either … inedible, expensive or both …
And they are not named croissant … they are ‘Golden cow horns’ …

@Bismarck I am Taiwanese its just that over here in the states Whether you speak Taiwanese, Mandarin or Cantonese your all considered Chinese and it kinda just stuck as being ABC. I think I’ll have to get used to it there . I know it will be a life style change but it will be a good experience.

When I see ABC what my head translates it to is Australian Born Chinese (: And yes you better not try to call them ABT because for some that would be very offensive. ie we are the “Republic of China”, not Taiwan.

All blacks in the US are ABA … American born Africans?