Anything happy to talk about

Yes, London. These taxes are crazy though. I thought I made it until I realized all I’ve made is hitting the 40% tax bracket. I can’t believe they go from 20% to 40%. And this not even considering 20% VAT and council tax.

2 Likes

Council tax is just ridiculous going to over paid council workers.

2 Likes

They’re morons, I got a letter about taking me to court for not paying council tax but I did. I rounded up to the nearest pound and it confused them. They couldn’t figure it out in their accounting for whatever reason.

3 Likes

Congrats!

1 Like

You could rent in somewhere like slough and commute in by train.
Or even Reading.

Probably so much money in their accounts it caused a numeric overflow.

1 Like

Thanks @Brianjones

That’s what I do. I only have to be in the office 2-3 times max in Canary wharf.

Sounds like it’s going well overall, despite the restless natives :laughing:

YUPPIE! Do they also give you one of those new-fangled cellphone things? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Next thing we know, you’ll probably be “Sir Andrew.” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

1 Like

This is generally my method to cleanse my palate when I have been on social media for a bit and am wondering if all people really suck or not.

lmao when I saw that thread surfacing I thought of posting just that. Pocketed my PhD two months ago and started a job in San Francisco. Been working there for a month now, awesome team and my bank account has never been so fat.

2 Likes

Deleted, lest I get chastised.

Congrats to you.

I’m actually surprised by my salary. I was told to expect a bit lower, especially for the UK. Even for finance, mine is on the higher end of it starting out for the UK. Almost comparable to the US which is maybe 15-20% higher for finance roles usually.

But I bet even your SF taxes looks cheap compared to how the UK just jumps from 20% to 40% past 51k.

1 Like

Not sure if you’re in fintech but I’ve read there’s been a jump in IT salaries in 2021 so that might be that. Tax-wise I’m at 30%, expected more so I’m satisfied by that level.

No, wealth management.

I guess business is good. And they were impressed with me so started me off at the associate level.

1 Like

Wealth management will always be around, during good times and bad.
That’s how the biggies make the profits (comms are nice, and the wealthy don’t mind paying such high bps on trading their accounts).
Expect lots of wining and dining of clients.
If I were to get into finance industry now, I’d get into cryptocurrency and digital currency trading. That’s where future growth in the trading departments of securities houses will be.

1 Like

My grades were released today. I finished my Msc with distinction, the highest mark possible :upside_down_face:

12 Likes