Anything worth watching on TV?

[quote=“stevieboy”]WTF are those Chinese shows?
I DONT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT Chinese SHOWS
…oh…this could be another joke I dont get![/quote]

Oh, I see, Chinese shows aren’t good enough for you. What’s the matter, can’t adjust yet? :cry:

I used to watch all the American crap when I first came here, even that Pam Anderson shit, VIP, but then after a while I adjusted to the culture and started watching some of the local stuff. It really does help to adjust and understand the people and the culture, that is if you are interested in making the effort :unamused: .

I guess you should have been more specific.

“Is there anything for those of us who’d like to pretend that we are still at home on TV in Taiwan? I am not talking about Chinese TV, I mean this is Taiwan, why on earth would they have Chinese TV shows. English, damn it, English. Help me please.” Is that what you wanted to say, and no, I wasn’t joking, those are good TV shows. :unamused:

Boss, all due respect, but local TV shows are almost invariably really, really bad. My wife had to put together a lot of the “Hero Soaps” (she did digital editing in a post-production company), and the abysmal acting, dialogue, scripts, production, etc. were almost more than she could bear. Actually, I guess it was more than she could bear, because she quit!

OK OK, I admit. I sometimes watch baseball and pool (in Chinese). But…I donr undertsand what they are saying. And the worst is, when it is in English and in Chinese together!!!

I find Japanese television to be more entertaining. Has anyone seen that show where a family from Africa moved in with a Japanese family.
Someone also mentioned the shows where they try new foods. There was a funny episode where these people had to eat hot foods like wassabe. I think it was a game show. Also in Japanese.

:wink:
Just yanking the chain

Charmed, new series starts Star World this weds, 8pm! Three witch sisters clatter around in the back alleys of San Francisco in unsuitable footwear vanguishing demons. Utter trash, utterly fabulous! Demon Cole (son of Aussie ex-PM MacMahon) is GORGEOUS!

The Thirsty Traveler - he’s GORGEOUS!

Taken, new Spielberg alien abduction mini-series started Sunday night on Star Movies, riveting, looks really expensive, many of the actors are GORGEOUS, especially the evil army guy who’s just taken over the secret Roswell project.

Fear Factor, AXN, for daft Americans gagging on raw ostrich eggs, and hurting themselves doing other really STUPID things for money; the host is a real SPUNK!

And alas, WaterRats, top Aussie water police drama has just finished on Star World, Mick the aboriginal inspector is GORGEOUS and I miss him! If anyone has videos or DVDS of the series, I will pay good money/perform services :wink:

[quote=“magnolia”]The Thirsty Traveler - he’s GORGEOUS!
[/quote]

He’s another annoying Canadian and surely a fag?

First on the left. Thirst away!

foodtv.ca/tv/shows/titledeta … _47278.asp

Used to be on E movies… Yummy Cole is a hunk… He is also on the Profiler show… if and when you can find it… sometimes it is on AXN

[quote=“magnolia”][
The Thirsty Traveler - he’s GORGEOUS!

:[/quote]

more importantly he is drinking and traveling, what a great combination!

Goddess yeah! It’s those morning-afters when he looks a bit rough that he’s MOST do-able; all hangover-horny and bleary eyed, he wouldn’t know what hit him (I like to think!) :wink:

Ahh, girls’ trun to comment on guys. I like that!!! :laughing:

Hm, I agree. He is!!

Is he? er…he’s just ok!!

[quote=“B.B.”]Ahh, girls’ trun to comment on guys. I like that!!! :laughing:

Hm, I agree. He is!!

Is he? er…he’s just ok!![/quote]

Both of them have an unidentified toenail fungus condition and the Thirsty Traveler doesn’t wipe properly, so has terrible skidmarks.

How is the quality of Baseball in Taiwan? Are there many teams?

Good news for fans of CSI. Just when you think the less exciting CSI: Miami has permanently replaced CSI on Sunday nights, AXN is bringing back the original CSI, i.e., Las Vegas, on Monday nights at 9:00. :sunglasses:

[quote=“fee”]I have enjoyed watching the series “A Cook’s Tour.” The star is a famous New York chef and author named Anthony Bourdain (sp. ?). He wrote the best-seller Kitchen Confidential and, I believe, a few novels as well as the book (A Cook’s Tour) that the TV series is based upon.

He does have a bit of an attitude, but I find the show very watchable.

I always catch it on Saturdays at 13:00. Two half-hour episodes (related) air at that time and then again at 19:00. Last week was Japan. Previous episodes have included San Francisco, Morocco, Russia, and New York City.[/quote]

Agreed! I love this show and watch it every week.

I’ve also been watching Steven Spielberg’s “Taken” religiously, but alas, next week is the last episode. Other than those two, and the occasional good movie on one of the movie channels, I spend an inordinate amount of time watching CNN. Unfortunately, I don’t like CNN Asia nearly as much as the “real” CNN (USA). CNN Asia has too many repeats, and plays “World Sport” and “Biz Asia” too much for my tastes. I wish they’d show more of the programs from the USA, although I do enjoy watching “Late Edition” (w/ Wolf Blitzer) on Sunday late night and occasionally Larry King.

There is nothing to watch on TV, but it can be fun watching people while they watch TV. Blank, empty stares of brains gone to sleep. Exactly like when little bunny stares into the highlights of my '65 Impala.

Ultimate fighting championship rules! They have UFC 27-31 now instead of the UFC 1- 25 on asahi TV. newasahi.com.tw
And the japanesese version Pride is pretty good.

[quote=“Incubus”][quote=“JeffG”]They also show South Park, but they are all in Chinese… I hate when they translate them all… [/quote] South Park is practically a different show in Chinese, with characters like James Soong and Vice President Annette Lu. :unamused:[/quote]I remember seeing a special back in the States where they said the producers of South Park allowed some tv studios around the world to ‘localize’ it. They don’t really translate- writers take the liberty to make up jokes and create characters that locals will think funny… in a South Park kinda way.
Here’s the Taiwan story.

[quote=“WarMonkey”][quote=“Incubus”][quote=“JeffG”]They also show South Park, but they are all in Chinese… I hate when they translate them all… [/quote] South Park is practically a different show in Chinese, with characters like James Soong and Vice President Annette Lu. :unamused:[/quote]I remember seeing a special back in the States where they said the producers of South Park allowed some tv studios around the world to ‘localize’ it. They don’t really translate- writers take the liberty to make up jokes and create characters that locals will think funny… in a South Park kinda way.
Here’s the Taiwan story.[/quote]

Maybe there is hope for Taiwan yet! :smiley:

Forget about South Park or the Simpsons. Anyone else seen Daria on MTV? Just love that wry, matter-of-fact sense of humor.

Yeah, Daria is hysterical, but I don’t know where they dug up that completely clueless presenter/English teacher. It’s embarrassing how poorly prepped she is, I mean it wouldn’t take her more than 10 or 15 minutes to actually look up the words she’s supposed to be teaching so that she’s not constantly misinforming her viewers.

A really great cartoon is Samurai Jack (Cartoon Network) - art direction, graphics, and music are kickin’ not to mention the amazing fight sequences. It’s not high-tech or ultra-realistic, but it’s not intended to be. On the other hand, almost every individual cell is a perfect composition in itself (framing of scene, sense of space and color, etc.), and the timing, the scene transitions, etc., are all wonderfully orchestrated.

It’s drawn in a very interesting, borderless style, and they play with that a lot, so that, sometimes, the characters jump out of a flat background, but, other times, they are really immersed.

The Daily Show International Edition on CNN is probably the funniest thing I’ve found on TV here in a long time.

And a comment on UFC - although the wrestlers/grapplers seem to do best in UFC/Pride, it’s only because the rules are set up for those methods to do best. A lot of those guys would handle things very differently in an actual no-holds-barred street fight. I also found the matches more exciting in the earlier years before everyone figured the grappling out and most fights since end up being nothing more than two guys hugging each other on a mat for 30 minutes. Or did they change the rules again - haven’t seen it in awhile?

[quote=“abekonge”]Yeah, Daria is hysterical, but I don’t know where they dug up that completely clueless presenter/English teacher. It’s embarrassing how poorly prepped she is, I mean it wouldn’t take her more than 10 or 15 minutes to actually look up the words she’s supposed to be teaching so that she’s not constantly misinforming her viewers.
[/quote]
What do you expect from an ABC veejay/pop singer? She even said once that her Chinese has improved because of this teaching stint. Ever notice she’s always looking down? I’m sure someone’s holding up flash cards under the camera. :unamused: