Apple Daily: Gringos be stealing our women!

[quote=“Namahottie”]And the winner is Mack Momma Teresa :bravo: :bravo:

As far as I recall, macking is ebonics for trying to hit on someone. But ideal that it came from a french word probably gives it creditablity.[/quote]

randomhouse.com/wotd/index.p … e=20000803

the french word appears to come from the dutch makelaar for “broker” ie pimp.

Yip. It made page one of the Taipei Times today. According to the story, the story was written by the City of Taipei’s chief English editor, a foreigner named John Bucher, and a military attache assigned to the Department of Information, an ABC (lived in LA for 16 years) named John Lee.

The website said "You are pathetic and you can’t get a girl (the great editor at the Taipei Government webiste or the Taipei Times didn’t insert a question mark here :smiling_imp: ) Don’t worry. I’m here to help. Want to be the Tiger Woods of love? Follow my directions, son, and you will be a statue – a chiseled and polished love god.

I am impressed that the City of Taipei stood up for its English editors. Seems like the KMT people running Taipei are are a lot more friendly than the KMT or DPP people working in Taiwan’s international development agency – the TaiwanICDF. They certainly are very racist towards foreigner, ironic since international development is about helping foreigners.

Maybe I need to follow the Taipei City government’s suggestions … I haven’t “macked” me a single woman since I’ve been in Taiwan for almost five years now … pathetic … :blush:

Should we make some t-shirts? Start a club? Secret handshake? Chief, we need a name and a slogan, something like “Los Taiwan macking gringos; hide your daughters.” Wow, guess that wingman guy was really just ahead of his time! Had he waited a week or two, he could have been a celebrity. :laughing:

Perhaps you spoke too soon: Taipei City pulls Web site column, fires foreign editor.

Also: [quote]Councilwoman Yen Sheng-kuan (顏聖冠) questioned the quality of the editing process for the English-language Web site.

“This issue shows that the city government did not have a proper editing and review process for its English Web site. We demand the city government establish a stricter editing process,” she said…

[Taipei Department of Information Vice Director] Wu promised that the department will review all articles before they are posted on the Web site from now on, and will avoid such mistakes in the future.[/quote]

If this catches on, woe to the English editors of Taiwan, who already often have to deal with ignorant interference from above.

Blame it on the WaiGuoRen.

The columnist who, acc. to the TaipeiTimes article, iwrote [/i]the article (and is a local) merely gets a job transfer, while the foreigner who proposed the article and served as chief editor gets fired. :eh:

Does that sound fair?

Well…he is right.
We are taking all of the good ones. :runaway:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Well…he is right.
We are taking all of the good ones. :runaway:[/quote]

:smiley: I plead guilty, myself.

Should we make some t-shirts? Start a club? Secret handshake? Chief, we need a name and a slogan, something like “Los Taiwan macking gringos; hide your daughters.” Wow, guess that wingman guy was really just ahead of his time! Had he waited a week or two, he could have been a celebrity. :laughing:[/quote]

[quote]The columnist who, acc. to the TaipeiTimes article, (co?)wrote the article (and is a local) merely gets a job transfer, while the foreigner who proposed the article and served as chief editor gets fired. Eh?

Does that sound fair?[/quote]

Right, that’s binlang juice stained racisme … :laughing:

Perhaps you spoke too soon: Taipei City pulls Web site column, fires foreign editor.

Also: [quote]Councilwoman Yen Sheng-kuan (???) questioned the quality of the editing process for the English-language Web site.

“This issue shows that the city government did not have a proper editing and review process for its English Web site. We demand the city government establish a stricter editing process,” she said…

[Taipei Department of Information Vice Director] Wu promised that the department will review all articles before they are posted on the Web site from now on, and will avoid such mistakes in the future.[/quote]

If this catches on, woe to the English editors of Taiwan, who already often have to deal with ignorant interference from above.[/quote]

Ya, I admitted in the Macking Thread in the Open Forum that I opened my mouth too soon. I agree with your comments. More input from senior officials is definitely not needed. My assistant [international Taiwanese] and I used to laugh at our Chief Editor in the Diplomatic Quarter. Two people with top quality overseas educations and with years of journalism and private sector experience being given feedback by a Science grad from NTU on matters related to English. The arrogance is astounding :laughing:

LET’S ALL WAIT FOR THE BLOW BACK ON THIS ONE!

Can anyone say beatings, racist remarks and over the top hatred of non natives for a few months.

Can we really be all that offended by some no pussy gettin mommas boys gettin fired for writing and acting like idiots?

What happened to the gentleman’s attitude towards women, rather than the seek and destroy?

How many of these sleeze bags would act different if it was their sister being “macked” on?

Assholes like that make it harder for the rest of us who actually do have some respect

Thanks Guys
:fume:

[quote=“shifty”]
Assholes like that make it harder for the rest of us who actually do have some respect

Thanks Guys
:fume:[/quote]

Boy, I will admit completely that I am still slow on the uptake about this whole controversy. One, the article in question was written for ESL learners. Two, it seems to deam the men who are not fluent in English. Implying that they lack social dating skills. Third, I read the article several times. I don’t see any referances to foriegners, except for the ‘writer’ who is an overseas chinese who seems to using this gain attention because otherwise his appointment would have gone unoticed.

If anything, tongue in cheek here, I would think that an ABC trying to ‘improve’ the dating skills of his fellow man would be appreciated by women, especially in the foriegner community. (remember tonuge in cheek).

One day after having lunch, a newscrew stopped me and asked to use my dog for a news segment on how to meet women/men. They showed that while walking a dog, could help spur on a conversation with the opposite sex. Hence leading to that possible great love. So, how does teaching someone to ‘mack’ on someone is any different or warrant criticism?

If anything, the whole website is a joke, for the ESL profession. Listing slang as apart of the second language learning process? Give me a break. I wonder how China and Taiwan would feel if Western governments created a website that had slang for people learning Chinese? If this is what ever one is upset about I get it. Otherwise the article was just a joke not deserving the hoppla that it has gotten.

I had to reread that several times before I could get past newscrew. Which I kept reading as “new screw”…

[quote=“shifty”]LET’S ALL WAIT FOR THE BLOW BACK ON THIS ONE!

Can anyone say beatings, racist remarks and over the top hatred of non natives for a few months.

[/quote]

Relax–local news media outlets post a report or two on “the bad foreigner of the month (BFOM)”…well, about once a month. This time it was foreigners in general, likely because no suitable candidate for BFOM appeared this time.

I think mom and dad at home are able to see this sort of thing for what it is, and from what I hear from many Taiwanese, plenty of local folks are as fed up with garbage in the media as you and I are.

:laughing: :roflmao: Me too!

i missed the original article, did it say which bar(s) these women were hangin at??

:s

there should be a list or something, surely this could be more organized?

[quote=“webdoctors”]i missed the original article, did it say which bar(s) these women were hangin at??

:s

there should be a list or something, surely this could be more organized?[/quote]

Didn’t say, but the original article did sport a photo of a foreign boy and a local girl making their merry way from the doorstep of what looks like…drum roll…Carnegies! Wonder if Tpe Bob spotted it?

the problem wid Carnegie’s is its frequented by old ppl…

no old xiojies for me plz…