APRC dependents

It is basically the same as the so-called Open Work Permit for APRC holders, here is a link with more explanation
https://ws.ndc.gov.tw/Download.ashx?u=LzAwMS9hZG1pbmlzdHJhdG9yLzI4L2NrZmlsZS82Njc1NGIwYy0zM2EzLTQ3ODAtYThjZi02NDQ5MDM4ZjZiZDMucGRm&n=NiDmiJDlubTlrZDlpbPlgIvkurrlt6XkvZzoqLHlj68o6Iux5paHKS5wZGY%3D

Good to know. Thanks

fingers crossed for her open work permit.

If she couldn’t get the work permit, I would ask to MOL if she could be employed as a foreign graduate. Though, even if not and she could not be employed for a professional or technical work, she has an option of an English teacher and can fulfill the requirements for an APRC next year. So, if I was her and could not apply for an APRC right now, I would stay on the current dependant ARC rather than switching to a student ARC, if it is possible.

Hi

I might run in a similar situation as yours…was your daughter been able to get APRC in the end (based on your previous APRC for more than 5 years status) or they indeed you have absurdly less rights as citizen to pass to your family?

Here is the rest of the story: My daughter’s application for an Open Work Permit was rejected because I no longer have an APRC but am now a citizen. On the positive side, they permitted her to explain in a letter the reasons that her circumstances were special. Then, the officials took some time considering her case. However, they still rejected her application.

The intent of the Legislature in passing this law was to allow the adult children of foreign professionals to obtain an Open Work Permit until age 26. The rejection of my daughter’s application was clearly against the principle of this law. I was a foreign professional, and I worked in this capacity in Taiwan for around two decades. My daughter was born here, and we have not lived in another country for almost 24 years. Nevertheless, despite this rejection, her situation is not so bad. She can (and has) obtained a work permit through an individual company. And, she can still live in Taiwan without restrictions until age 26. Ten years ago, adult children of foreign professionals had to leave Taiwan when they reached age 20 unless they obtained a student visa, a work visa, or an investment visa (starting a business in Taiwan).

We can perhaps best understand the rejection of her application in the context of Taiwan’s history. Under a dictatorial regime, such as existed in Taiwan several decades ago, the people often promoted to top positions in the government are those who reflect the repressive attitudes of those in power. Even after such a government has fallen, the ‘office culture’ of the former regime persists for some time until those who received their positions under the old regime or its culture have died or retired. All it takes is one high official with the ‘Old Guard’ attitude to veto the efforts of those within that department to justly apply the current standards. Their allowing her the opportunity to explain her special circumstances and the time they took to consider her letter shows that many government officials are trying to be fair and to improve the circumstances of foreigners here.

After this rejection, I urged my wife to apply for her APRC. She had delayed her applying for it because of the time and expense involved as we had experienced when I applied around 15 years ago. So, she submitted her application. Because she had recently visited the Philippines (and presumably because no one arrested her at the airport), she did not have to prove she did not have a criminal record there. She paid a fee of NT$10,000, and they approved her application in only three weeks! Several months ago, someone from the Foreign Affairs Police called to urge her to apply. They said that the government had made it very easy for ‘Foreign Brides.’ And, they were right.

Using her mother’s new APRC, my daughter applied again for an Open Work Permit. However, the government rejected her application because her mother was not a foreign professional. Go figure.

In retrospect, I should have insisted that my daughter join her brother in becoming a Taiwan citizen. Now, the US government renunciation fee is US$2350. This is prohibitively expensive for me as a retiree and for my daughter as a working student. Under current Taiwan law, my daughter is past the age of 20, so she is no longer eligible. Nevertheless, there will probably be opportunities for her to stay in Taiwan, the country of her birth and her heart. After she graduates from university next year, she will just need to obtain a work visa and make enough money for five years to qualify for an APRC. (Or she could marry a Taiwanese man!)

3 Likes

Thanks A lot

Very absurd situation anyhow
Hopefully she will get OWP and aprc through her job and end the nightmare…

Article 26 of amended Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals, which is not effective yet and English version is not updated, will allow your daughter to work as your child.

1 Like

Here is the end of the story: As I stated in June 2020, over the years there had been an obvious and favorable change in attitude on the part of the Foreign Affairs Police in their treatment of foreign residents. As a group, they are much more willing to help. Several months ago, one of their officials called us and stated there was a way for my daughter to get permanent residence. The government passed a new law, and they posted it on their website dated 15 January 2021.
She had gone through her entire education in the local school system, so she is fluent in Mandarin Chinese and can read and write the language. Furthermore, she attended a vocational secondary school and obtained some vocational qualifications by passing certain official exams. The certificates she received were enough to prove that she “Has sufficient assets or skills to be self-supporting.” (See item Statute #1, item (3) at the following government website: National Immigration Agency, R.O.C. (Taiwan)-Instructions on Document Submission by Foreigners Applying for Permanent Residency . Once she submitted the necessary documents and paid the fee, they approved her APRC in only two or three weeks. After receiving her APRC, she was able to get an Open Work Permit very quickly. She has since then graduated from university. Of course, that additionally shows she is qualified to support herself.
This particular statute is for foreigners who have legally lived in Taiwan a long time AND for spouses and children of ROC nationals (citizens) who legally reside in Taiwan. The person applying must be 20 years of age and older and have legally resided in Taiwan for ten years and have spent half a year here for five of those years. This is great news for long-time residents here.

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Formatting hell

I just read about this issue with adult children. It’s awful, and probably by design.

Looking for advice. I hold a professional APRC and my wife is planning to visit Taiwan (first time). She is from EU and we are exploring if she has any work rights here. So far i know that she is required to apply for ARC once she lands but not very clear about work rights if any. From what i was able to search around it seems like she has no work rights on the spousal ARC. Would love to hear from people who are here on a dependent ARC long term and how are they managing the work life.

1 Like

the dependent ARC gives no work rights. she can however look for a job, and the employer needs to apply for work permit for her.
some people have found work online for overseas companies, but strictly speaking that is illegal.

2 Likes