APRC to nationality

OK, here’s the deal. If you have APRC, then in order to get nationality you must:

1. wait two years since you got your APRC

2. get a language certification/or do the nationality test

3. no criminal record from your own country necessary. no medical tests, either.

Anything else I’m missing?

Really? I wonder why this is the case. :ponder: I am also following this route and will in any case be busy with the language certification for another 2 semesters, so it might take the required 2 years any way.

[quote=“Icon”]OK, here’s the deal. If you have APRC, then in order to get nationality you must:

1. wait two years since you got your APRC

2. get a language certification/or do the nationality test

3. no criminal record from your own country necessary. no medical tests, either.

Anything else I’m missing?[/quote]I’m not aware of the “Wait 2 years since getting the APRC”. How/where did you get this info? Doesn’t effect me, but I’ve not heard of this before. Do you have this in Chinese or a website link?

#4. No need to show special skills, or income levels once you have already gotten your APRC. :slight_smile:

Just repeating something I read along these forums. If possible, I’ll add the link.

Sorry Icon your point 3 is not correct,

1. Criminal record from your country of origin and also from Taiwan is required.

I went from APRC to citizenship and the criminal record was required. I had applied in Oct 2008 so unless if they changed the rules in 2009 then I am not too sure…

when applying you need to show them your passport, APRC, Chinese chop and your mug shot + Ntd 200 application fee.

Plus there is one certificate which you get from the Ministry of Interior - Wai Guo Ren Jiu Liuo Zhen Ming Shu.

The local HR will give you the full list ( in Chinese though ), I have it but don’t know how to add the image…sorry…if someone can then I will send the scanned document by PM.

All local documents are valid for 3 months from the date of issue and all foreign documents, 6 months from the date of issue.

All foreign documents need to be translated, notarised and also attested in your country of origin etc…

It is much easier to go from APRC to citizenship, the requirements are less and from my experience things get done pretty quick…for eg in my case I got the " Okay you can apply for Taiwanese Citizenship" certificate in @ 7 days after I gave in my application…after I renounced my original citizenship and again re-submitted the 2nd set of documents I got the “Okay you are a Taiwan National Cetificate” in @ 7 days and then I went to the NIA and filled up a form and in @ 3 days I got my TARC…

It took me more time to prepare all the documents and renounce my original citizenship as compared to the Taiwan Government giving me the approval to become a Taiwan National…

I am going through the 1 year hibernation period right now and will be able to apply for my ID card in May of this year…will need to prepare some more documents and also get a medicial certificate though…

Thank you for one more correction. :smiley: :blush: :slight_smile:

OK, I give up. Scrape off my first post.

Speed, careful with that medical! :astonished:

the list of steps for nationality, I’ve got it. In English, downloaded from the site. But it doesn’t say specifically if you already have APRC, then what you need or not need to give/do.

As put, I do not see the “easier” part.

yes you are right about the " easier part "…I had to sit there for like 30 mins and go thru the whole list with the HR people and they highlighted the documents that I need to submit…so out of a list of like 8 - 9 requirements / documents, I only needed to take care of like 4.

I have the highlighted list with me but don’t know how to add an image in my post…sorry for the same.

I have take good care of myself in the past one year so hopefully I will not have any problems…will be going in the end of Fed / early March for my medical exam…the certificate is valid for 3 months so want to get everything prepared in advance and then land up at the NIA one day after I finish 1 yr hibernation…being an impatient person the waiting part really gets to me at times…

I didnt have to get my Criminal Record check from Australia for Naturalization here on because I had already provided it for my ARC which back in 1990 was marriage based.

So that may be the only time you don’t need it is if you have already supplied it previously.

Speed Maniac is geting things done a lot faster than we could back 12 years ago. So may different departments to visit and I was living in Taiching so sometimes had to do doc’s in Taipei.

From the time I renounced my Citizenship to the time I got my TARC was nearly 9 months.

Am I right in understanding that you need to take a medical AGAIN before you can get your household registration? What would they do if you failed?

And did they change the law so that you need the foreign police check both prior to obtaining the TARC and prior to obtaining your ID card?

[quote=“spaint”]Am I right in understanding that you need to take a medical AGAIN before you can get your household registration? What would they do if you failed?

And did they change the law so that you need the foreign police check both prior to obtaining the TARC and prior to obtaining your ID card?[/quote]

You always needed a foreign police records check for naturalization. I also asked them what would happen if I failed the 2nd medical test.

One woman replied but you could go back to your home country.

I asked how was I going do that since I had already renounced my citizenship? :loco: :loco:

“Oh” She says, we didnt think about that.

Daft you lot are… I retorted.

[quote=“spaint”]Am I right in understanding that you need to take a medical AGAIN before you can get your household registration? What would they do if you failed?

And did they change the law so that you need the foreign police check both prior to obtaining the TARC and prior to obtaining your ID card?[/quote]

If you fail the test, you take it again. I’ve had several acquaintances that, ehem, had “passengers on board”, so, they had a treatment, got rid of the unwanted pests, and took the test again. No biggie.

Except if its STD. That’s a biggie… big boot out. :frowning:

Big boot out to where? The only passport you hold at that time is for Taiwan. :smiley:

Big boot out to where? The only passport you hold at that time is for Taiwan. :smiley:[/quote]

Sorry, my logic cannot be extended that far… :roflmao:

Sod’s law happens whenever it can. Because (for a vital business/livelihood reason) I had to go overseas once I got my TARC, it meant I had to wait the extra year before I could apply for my ID.

Then when the mandatory 2 year wait was up, I went for my medical, and - guess what - failed. “Great!” I thought, “into my third year as a stateless non-person”. Why did I fail the medical?

My shit wasn’t good enough. No kidding. They said a particular type of naturally occurring bacteria (which we all have in our intestines) was in slightly higher percentage than normal (it wasn’t as if I had a bug or anything - just the proportions were wrong! what a load of crap!). They said I’d need a 3 month course of treatment before I could have the test again.

So what did I do?

Simply went to a different hospital the next day (Taiwan Adventist) and my turds passed with flying colors. “Yo!” I said “I got mi’ shit together!”. But I kinda liked the irony of that - the final step to becoming Taiwanese - show that you can deal with any shit the system throws at you - that’s what its really all about.

We all know that to get an APRC, every applicant must submit a federal police background check from their home country.

So, when you decide to go from APRC to naturalized Taiwanese citizen, these new rules apply.

1. If you have an APRC and are applying for naturalization as a single individual, you MUST provide the federal police background check from your home country, again.

However,

1. If you have an APRC and are applying for naturalization as a spouse of a Taiwanese national, you DO NOT NEED to provide the federal police background check from your home country, again.

I found this out when I submitted my application for naturalization. I have an APRC and I’m married, but I don’t want my wife to have to hold my hand through the procedure. Therefore, if I apply as an individual, I have to provide another FBI background check. But, if I apply as my wife’s spouse, I don’t. Seems like bullshit to me because regardless of which way I choose to apply for naturalization, nothing about me actually changes. It’s just the typical stupid “shoe box mentality” of Taiwan I guess.

Northcoast surfer - you are absolutely right. Because I did it as an individual, I had to ‘do it all again’ - at great expense, time, mega-hassle etc. By the time I got the document UK police clearance, some other documents in the ‘dossier’ had expired. By the time I got the expired documents renewed, the UK police clearance had expired!, and I had to do it yet again! (I concluded its almost impossible to complete the process unless you have someone in your home country acting as a courier for you; since courier companies will only do one “stop & wait”, its not possible to get them to ‘complete the chain’ of the 4 different offices which the papers have to pass though).

Shoebox mentality it certainly is. I mean, how does being married to a Taiwanese woman make it impossible to commit a crime in your home country? That’s the only logical conclusion which can be drawn.

man after reading the recent posts from planet2wheels and Northcoast surfer my head is spinning…I thought I had heard and seen it all…

Yes, one would think that going from an APRC (where you’ve already jumped through a good few fiery hoops) to citizenship, would make the process easier, but alas.

What are the benefits of a TARC versus APRC? Which perks make it worth renouncing one’s original citizenship? Is the APRC a necessary stepping stone or can you get a TARC with a certain number of years as a resident? Sorry for all the questions…

[quote=“nemesis”]What are the benefits of a TARC versus APRC? Which perks make it worth renouncing one’s original citizenship? Is the APRC a necessary stepping stone or can you get a TARC with a certain number of years as a resident? Sorry for all the questions…[/quote]A TARC (Taiwan Area Residence Card) is only given to people who have already renounced their nationality and are waiting for one more year to become a full Taiwanese citizen with all rights and privileges. It’s only a temporary status and isn’t something you can get any other way. Here’s the process.

1. An APRC or ARC holder decides to become a naturalized Taiwan citizen.

2. After submitting all the necessary paperwork and being qualified for Taiwan citizenship, the government gives you a certificate of candidature which states that if you renounce your current foreign citizenship within one year that you will become a Taiwan national, however, not a Taiwan citizen, yet.

3. Upon becoming a Taiwan national, you will be given the TARC and this is the temporary status you will maintain for a minimum of 1 year. You must not leave Taiwan during this 1 year “prison sentence” or the clock gets reset and you have to wait another year from the time you return.

4. After the one year of TARC status is complete, you need to go for one more final health check and upon passing, you will finally become a full Taiwanese citizen. At this time you must turn in your TARC and will receive your regular Taiwan id card and household registration.

So, the TARC is just a temporary status afforded to individuals who are waiting for their Taiwanese citizenship.