Arachnida of Taiwan

Dear lord, not another conversation on on daddy long leg venom…

The apider seems to be a log haw orb weaver, Tetragnathidae. Not my area so cant comment on species.

And yes, human shit is a good fertilizer. Just compost it properly (mixed and hot) an dont use it on food. Fruit trees might be fine, but its pretty high in N and with varied human diets its not a consistent nutrient value unlike factory farmed animals. Perhaps source it from jails, military and schools, close enough to factory farms that the NPK ratio might be usable throughout the year.

Not to worry you, but taiwan is now starting to scale up human shit as a fert. In multiple crops such as rice. Just and FYI, i disagree with it…this wont likely be reported on in the media.

2 Likes

Ill go for that too.

1 Like

So then I was somewhat right.

1 Like

3 of these big guys on my patio munching away on those flying termites.

Any idea what kind of spider it is?

Was high up, hard to get a good shot.

1 Like

4 Likes

I just saw this in the park, almost big as my hand. Is this real or dead? Was not moving and I didn’t want to get close. Or could be just the skin ?

Well looks fake as fuck idk why someone leave that in the park though

1 Like

It’s a puzzle toy.

1 Like

Looks like a local tarantula, as per my Internet research, though that one is a bit bluish.

At least it was on the floor and not hanging from a tree at mouth height.

Friendly reminder that spiders like to escape the heat by going into homes. Just saying.

1 Like

I had the cutest little black and yellow jumping spider on my balcony. He somehow got inside so I trapped him and put him back out. He was still there yesterday, I hope he’s ok

If he’d agree to stay in the kitchen and out of the bedroom I wouldn’t mind, but I asked and he didn’t answer

1 Like

I’m not sure that Taiwan tarantulas come in that colour… The only local spiders similar to tarantulas (Mygalomorph spiders in Theraphosid family) are Macrothele species (Mygalomorph spiders in Macrothelid family) which are brown or dark grey. As far as I know anyway.

Looks like a plastic Brachypelma to me.

See Brachypelma boehmei - Wikipedia

1 Like

Well, there is that almost tarantula from orchid island that is probably extirpated.

The shock of seeing these common tree spiders overshadows their ubiquity. Easily the size of my hand.

1 Like

Yeah, those buggers are all over the place. Had one set up a web in front of my tent door one night, not the first time I almost hit one with my face!

3 Likes

I went to a mountain with literally thousands of this spiders overhead, spider web all over. Just like my nightmares

2 Likes

One of the true jewels of Taiwan. There seem to be 2 color forms. I’m still not sure if they are just morphs or different species, anyone know? Nephila maculata / nephila pilipes

We welcome any small jumping spiders seen in our house. They eat small insects like ants and baby cockroaches. The jumping spiders do not grow large, are kinda cute, and seem to not really produce alot of offspring…well, at least our house never has too many of them.

2 Likes

Anything bigger than my thumbnail dies in the house.

So the jumping spiders would be welcome at your place. If you need any I can send some to you.

Send them with gardening tools and we’ll work something out.

1 Like

I don’t like most people either, bit I’m not that harsh.

2 Likes