ARC/APRC: "work based" vs. "marriage based" (vs. "gold card") advantages and disadvantages

No idea what they were about. Do you still have an old format ID number (letter as second character)? Maybe is was something about that.
Either way, there is no requirement to renew it. (only in like 8 years from now the old ID numbers will be phased out)

1 Like

didn’t they just confuse your APRC with ARC, then fount out the mistake soon?

1 Like

Thanks. I think they just can’t handle the idea that an ARC doesnt have an expy date. I wont worry about “renewing” it until immigration tells me to.

I will never know. They finally told me it was fine, printed my boarding pass, started checking my luggage, and then another phone call from their manager or something came through and I heard them talking about the date it was issued and more deliberation and other nonsense.

We’ll call this a PSA: if you have an APRC, be ready for ticketing agents to go into error mode. Point to the words on the back that say the card doesn’t expire? (But be ready for them to not accept that either)

I don’t really get this. Didn’t you argue back? From your other posts on here, I get the impression that you’re smart enough and assertive enough to know the ticketing agent was wrong. Like you said, it’s permanent residency.

I would just have told them they’re obviously misinformed about something, you absolutely have the right to enter Taiwan, and they should call Taiwan immigration to clear up whatever it is they’ve misunderstood.

I wouldn’t take immigration advice from a ticketing agent either, tbh. This particular one obviously didn’t know what they were doing. Maybe they just read the info incorrectly from their computer? Was it a Taiwanese airline/Taiwanese ticketing agent?

Ticketing was contracted out random people and one Taiwanese airline employee trying to handle any issues with the Chinese. I joked to them about “it probably says in your system that it expires in 2999 or something” (turns out its 2099) and then they ran away with the card to disappear for a solid 20 minutes. When they came back to ask me when it expires, I said it didnt expire, its permanent, but then I remembered ppl on here saying something about how APRCs aren’t really “permanent” and I legitimately wasn’t sure if there was some stupid step I had missed at the one year mark to “make sure”, as that would be something immigration would do, considering all the other hassles they invent

They did something similar to me once when I had APRC. I just told the agent to get the supervisor to explain it to her since she clearly had no clue what an APRC is.

What do you mean by ticketing agent?

The human travel agent who issued your ticket?
An online agent who issued your ticket?
The airline if you booked directly?
Or check in staff?

I’m a (corporate) travel agent and issue about 30-50 tickets a day but I wouldn’t call myself a ticketing agent.

Travel agents probably shouldn’t be giving immigration advice and instead directing you to a consulate/visa assistance agency but there’s nothing stopping them from issuing a ticket

Governments fine airlines for carrying passengers without correct documents so check in staff should check but you could have got a dumb one or someone who didn’t read the rules. Immigration requirements are published by IATA and are available for all airlines/travel agents to see and is what check-in staff are supposed to use to to check immigration requirements. In saying that Taiwan is referred to as Chinese Taipei or the seperate customs territory of Taiwan so that could confuse some people.

Either way you got stuck with an idiot

If they were Taiwanese you should ask them when their 身份證 expires and watch their brains break

2 Likes