Are Canadian and American food different or are they made to look the same in Taiwan?

How about French food in Montreal? Are they any uniquely Canadian spins on that? Perhaps a moose au poivre…

Poutine

1 Like

tldr; basically anything you can drink from Canada, you can find something better in Taiwan from another country, except ice wine which has been mentioned.

That zone exported whiskey to the US during prohibition, and might have microbrews now. Taiwan has lots of local microbrew. Canada isn’t really famous for beer, try Belgian or German imports if you want something “traditional”.

For Canadian booze, ice wine has been mentioned; probably not easy to get from other counties, not sure how easy it is to get here. For regular wines, I’ve seen mostly French or Australian and for the price you might as well drink those.

There is also Canadian whiskey, which used to be called rye whiskey but most of it doesn’t use much rye so they had to change the name. Canadian Club is the most common international brand, there is also Crown Royal, and probably you can find these in Taiwan but neither is very good (some of the special bottles, like 100% rye or maple flavoured, are worth trying if you can find them but unlikely in Taiwan). Given the price of single malt scotch in Taiwan, no reason to sample Canadian whiskey which would need a mixer for most.

Ice wine is good (Ontario and BC) but they are also damn good in Germany (Eiswein) and Alsace.

The higher-end shit is all European: Ice Wine (Prices, Tasting Notes, Best Brands 2021) (vinovest.co)

Like with Tim Hortons, dumb-ass Canadians are renown for celebrating average products in cheesy forms of nationalism----it is why I detest Canada Day festivities.

With ice wine though, I will admit it is slightly better than average but not worth bragging too much about. :laughing:

Humility – Canadians really got to work on it

1 Like

I was at a Canada Day celebration in Vancouver a couple of years ago, and as a joke my cousin bought me a Canada Flag t-shirt. Just before she gave it to me she checked the label to make sure it wasn’t made in Taiwan-. No, all clear- Made in Vietnam

Hey, we’ll trumpet from the rooftops how :tent:ing humble we are.
It’s like this reputation for niceness- where did that come from? Plenty of assholes among my fellow countrymen and women.

2 Likes

I prefer Costco’s English muffins. Closer to the real deal than the bagels.

1 Like

Canadian beer is amazing. Its not well known worldwide cause its not as cheap. Bc down to califonria. The whole west coast is FILLED with GREAT microbrew companies. so far, i havent tasted anythingthat comes close to the same realm here as canadian craft beers. At least western canada/usa. I wont be making many friends saying this, but most of the belgian/german beers ive had in taiwan are between terrible and mediocre :frowning: lots of great american ones though.

1 Like

Canadian beer sucks donkey dick vs. Belgian beer. The micros in Canada are good but Belgium is still the gold standard.

Just like when I hear myopic regionalists laud BC red wine. As plonk to get you drunk? Ok. But compared to Bordeaux quality vintages? Shite, shite and shite.
37 Belgian Beers Not to Miss | Recommended by Beer Experts (belgiansmaak.com)

I resemble this comment. :wink:

Have tried this one, what do you think?

2 Likes

I grew up in Seattle and visited Vancouver B.C. countless times growing up. I never noticed a difference aside from the fact that the Chinese food was much better.

What’s that restaurant Canadians love? Tim Horton’s? I’ve eaten there a few times. Again, not noticeably different.

I visited Montreal eons ago, and the food there did seem more “local” to me. More French? Whatever it was, Montreal is a fun city.

1 Like

Yes, I like them. Miopane is a decent chain, but its bagels aren’t that authentic. It does have some pretty interesting toppings and flavors for some of their baked goods.

Montreal is my favorite Canadian city (then again, I’ve only visited two).

1 Like

surely not this type? it’s barely better than Budweiser

When I worked in breweries (Molson’s. Labatt’s and Carling- it was a union hiring hall) you never drank the leading seller. All the beers from smaller varieties that got rejected because of impurities were dumped back into the vats of the biggest brands.
One time we switched from bottling Labatt’s Blue, the #1 seller , to Kokanee, a ‘regional’ brand. Switching brands normally gave you a chance to goof off for half an hour while they cleared the lines. This time the foreman stated yelling at me to get back to work after five minutes- they’d just switched the labels in the machines.

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

Guy

1 Like

Their made by Imei.

:-1:

“The best Canada has to offer” is what I see on he box. Is that true, can they say that??

It’s interesting, most countries that drink make local beers, even small nations like Ireland or Singapore which export it quite a lot.

1 Like

It’s subjective, so yes.

1 Like