Are countries finally going to start pushing back against China?

I actually dont understand what you are saying.

‘They’ as in private companies in China are not the Beijing government.

Yes, that is true. but when we purchase things from company A, we are directly supporting CCP. by proxy. there is also the issues of the CCP plowing down the land and renovating it for development so the factories can come in, the dorms, the cities etc. it’s not exactly guilt free. So they unfortunately get lumped together until evidence proving they were not involved comes forth. I dont mind supporting chinese people, that’s fine. But big businesses are directly connected to the CCP. it is impossible to both avoid and ignore.

Sorry, dont get it.

Maybe i’m tired but have no idea what you are saying.

Chinese private companies are innovative and now are advanced. They are not just cheap anymore and not necessarily cheap. Often they are also better. Being good and efficient has no connection to government opression and conflating the two is confusing for everyone

A lot of things cant easily be sourced from non-Chinese companies. Supply chains are complex.

Its not just cheap dollar store stuff, what happens if dialysis machinese cost twice as much and take twice as long to make. Or some of the components in a dialysis machine can only be sourced from China.

Not saying it is cheap shit. am saying it is cheaper* there than elsewhere. no one argues they dont have things setup for speed and efficiency. the issue arises on the ethics side of government setting.up land (ie. removing people), their rules about companies must have CCP in the company (over a certain size), intellectual property theft, human rights/workers rights, environment and so on.

I dont disagree they have big ass factory cities that can do things at lightning speed. the issue is how they got to that. and I am not talking about worker talent, bravo for that. but not the rest.

there are reasons they can setup up cities in tears, factories in months etc. mostly because money runs the day, and people in the way are swiftly removed. This isnt new, nor unknown.

1 Like

They big factor is that the Chinese governmenty subsidizes manufacturing through amazing infrastructure which is paid for by the government. As well as other subsidies. But Taiwan does this as well

Yeah, I mean in China you need to split SOE and Private companies. The big money in China is government projects and belt and road stuff and to be involved in that you need to be on the ‘red supply chain’ which is only available to state owned companies and those alligned with state.

Normal private companies in China are often in the same boat as overseas companies and are as likely to be pushed out of an industry or market by a state related competitor that can ride roughshod over any laws and do what they want.

A lot of what the Trump administration was asking for in liberalizing the economy was actually supported by a lot of the private sector.

The State controls a huge percentage of the Chinese economy which im too tired to find.

But ok you can dislike the way the government supports industry in China.

But that doesnt make decouping any easier or affect the quality of a lot of todays advanced manufacturing in China.

Look at this walkaround of a modern EV factory in China to see how advanced they are. These arent Dongguan toy factory sweatshops of the 90s.

Short answer is an and b aren’t all that important. C is. I don’t find that if China finds itself in a position that invading or attacking Taiwan is now a viable option that China would take it. Four nice new military bases in the Philippines might give them pause.

Did you read the article I posted? China has enormous problems. Why cast them as some insurmountable adversary?

I am not casting China as anything of the sort.

I am stating that feckless France simply shrugs at the earlier transgressions making me doubt they would do anything other than shrug at the next potential one.

Guy

1 Like

Ah, ok. Well, does Taiwan’s survival depend on France?

Anywhoe, Zeihan is back:

And this:
https://archive.is/g64MV

A Tiny Blog Took on Big Surveillance in China—and Won

The video cut to a shot of a computer screen, and Honovich hit pause. He saw a zoomed-in view of one visitor’s face. Below it was data that the camera’s AI had inferred. Honovich downloaded the video and took screenshots of the computer screen, for safekeeping.
Later, with the help of a translator, he scrutinized every bit of text on that screen. One set of characters, the translator explained, suggested each visitor was automatically sorted into categories: age, sex, wearing glasses, smiling. When Honovich pointed at the fifth category and asked, “What’s this?” the translator replied, “minority.” Honovich pressed: “Are you sure?” The translator confirmed there was no other way to read it.

Hikvision and Dahua cameras also happened to hang on houses, businesses, and public buildings in the US and much of the world. Security system installers eagerly sold huge numbers of the cheap cameras. Global financial institutions, such as Fidelity International and Norway’s sovereign wealth fund, were enthusiastic investors in the profitable, fast-growing Chinese companies. American chip giants Intel and Nvidia sold them silicon to power their face recognition.

whoops

1 Like

If Xi Jinping thinks that the PLA is at a stage where they can comfortably win a war in Taiwan, then there is a decent chance that he might start a war

Everything else is less relevant. The only thing allied countries need to do is give him enough reason for him to continuously say ‘hmmm not today’

If that were true, it would have happened already, I’d think.

The bases in the PI will do that. Now, there’s going to be very little way to sail around Borneo and around Indonesia if the present shipping lanes around Vietnam, Malaysia, India become too hot for Chinese oil tankers.

Back to the value added tangent:

This is a bit dated, but the value Chine adds to its exports comes from its imports. It doesn’t make the good stuff. It assembles them. Quelle surprise!

https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2013/beyond-bls/u-s-china-trade-deficit.htm

To illustrate that a value-added approach to measuring international trade results in a more accurate picture of U.S.–China trade, Sposi and Koech discuss a scenario in which companies in Japan, the United States, and China collaborate to manufacture computers. In this scenario, Japan exports $350 worth of computer components to China while the U.S. exports a $100 monitor assembly to China. China assembles the intermediate goods it imports from Japan and the United States and then exports the assembled computer to the United States for a total of $500—adding a total of $50 to the value of the intermediate goods it imported. When conventional measures are used, although Japan, the United States, and China each participated in developing the computer, the entire value of the computer ($500) is attributed to China. The initial $100 U.S. export to China, offset by the $500 export from China to the United States, results in a trade deficit of $400 for the United States. Using value-added measurement, China would only be allocated a value of $50 compared with $350 for Japan and $100 for the United States. The initial $100 U.S. export to China, offset by a $50 export from China to the United States, results in a trade surplus of $50.

1 Like

Taiwan staying ROC and not try to become Independent should be enough to keep Xi off.

More on the chip restriction. Looks like it’s working.

I don’t think he thinks they can win yet

Sure that’s part of it. Was kind of what I was saying. As long as US/Allies keep in front technologically and keep providing deterrents then hopefully can stop china making the decision to start a war

1 Like

That’s a decade ago. China is basically a completely different country now

I don’t either.

1 Like

Yeah I would agree with you

Suppose my original point is that it doesn’t really matter what France does, the only thing that matters is that Xi is continually unsure of victory

Again, I’m under the assumption that France heads the EU, so what they do says a lot .

It will be fine

While Tsai in USA meeting McCarthy EU announce this.

I dislike Macron, Von De Lyon immensely but I hope their trip is substantive.