Are posts being deleted?

I’ve noticed in several threads in the Open Forum, someone is going in and deleting posts. Not floundering them. Just deleting them. No reason given. No notice given to the posters.

I assume this is because the Deleter feels the posts are not relevant to the discussion.

But come on, I think some thought needs to be given to the process. How about a “stay on target” post by a moderator? Something less intrusive? Because it really is annoying to see one’s posts wiped out at someone’s whim. And I don’t think it’s the moderators job to determine exactly which posts make up the heart and soul of a thread.

I also noticed some excellent threads like the “What is your favorite condiment” being moved. I think it was in the Open Forum as well.

It’s gotten to the point that I hesitate to post or start a thread, since the Deleter might just hop in and wipe that out as well!

Moderating is a good thing, but is it going too far? (For the record, I’ve noticed that this extremist moderating is mostly happening in the Open Forum.)

By the way, PLEASE do not quote to me from the Book of Forumosa or give me a line about “You must listen to Mr. Moderator”. I would like a decent answer this time, please.

In the very rare occassions when I move a thread, I leave a “shadow topic” in the original forum, which is a link to wherever forum I decided to move the thread.

Some feel this is unnecessary clutter in the forum (and the numbers in that shadow link do not update like a regular thread). And then, after some amount of time passes, the shadow link must be manually removed - only adding to the work of maintaining the forum.

The advice I’ve found most helpful concerning finding ones post is to use the OWN POSTS link - now at the top of every forum page when you login. You can track down where your post/thread that way - and if you still can’t find it, PM the moderator of the forum you remember posting it in.

I liked the condiment thread as well. But, its up to the mods involved.

Post Deleted.

That’ll teach you to argue with the borg.

I’m not talking about threads being moved or floundered or merged. I’m talking about posts within a thread being deleted because someone with the power to delete posts is doing so. And I’ve only noticed it happening in the Open Forum section, so you guys should be able to figure out who’s doing it.

Are you talking about your own posts being deleted? Or posts you saw?

Hi Jefferson,

Can you please tell me which thread if you remember one in particular?

I have deleted double posts and ones that say “Delete me.” If the thread was split or floundered I’d put the shadow in the Open Forum for a couple of days then delete the shadow.

I hope I haven’t deleted single posts without knowing it… :frowning:

One that comes to mind is the thread about how many states the US has.

And yes, amongst those posts that were “pruned” were some of my own.

[quote=“914”]
I’d put the shadow in the Open Forum for a couple of days then delete the shadow.
[/quote]Someone did that with a thread I started recently. I posted in the wrong forum. Thanks for that. :slight_smile:

[quote]And yes, amongst those posts that were “pruned” were some of my own.[/quote]I didn’t notice any posts go missing for a while but for the record, I do enjoy the consistancy in Mr. Jefferson’s contribution.

Velly velly intelesting…The OT How many states does the US have is here forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 05&start=0.

Maybe Goose Egg or Maoman, you can PM me to let me know if I deleted any posts?

Thanks.

Ah, perhaps what is happening is you are “pruning” posts you don’t think belong in a thread and tossing them into the rubbish bin (flounder forum), where threads are summarily lead to the gallows after some days. This, IMHO, is as bad as deleting the posts. I would welcome, as I mentioned, a “stay on target” or “get back to the original discusion” post by a moderator. It is this phantom pruning that I find troublesome, and rather unusual, to be frank, for threads here are discussions that may wander hither and fro. They may need nudges to get back on track, sure.

What threads here are not are Repositories of Knowledge. But sometimes I get the feeling they’re meant to be so. I dunno…maybe just give the floundering a rest for a while, so folks will feel like starting a new discussion (like the condiments thread or threads about aliens) without worrying that it will be dumped because someone thinks it’s not suitable for discussion.

Incidentally, I thought the condiment thread idea was so cool I started one up on another site I belong to. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Jefferson”]I dunno…maybe just give the floundering a rest for a while, so folks will feel like starting a new discussion (like the condiments thread or threads about aliens) without worrying that it will be dumped because someone thinks it’s not suitable for discussion.

Incidentally, I thought the condiment thread idea was so cool I started one up on another site I belong to. :sunglasses:[/quote]
Or posts on Asexual reproduction.

I’m not even certain why a flounder forum is necessary (maybe it is and I haven’t seen the light though). Once a thread gets “stale”, it’s basically auto-floundered after hitting the second page worth of posts, without needing any thought on the part of the mods or hurting anyone’s feelings (well, my feeling get hurt :frowning: ).

Some people say it’s hard to tell when I’m being serious and not being serious. I feel that my posts are assumed as being the latter more often than the former. I personally don’t like having my posts get floundered, and I have a feeling a lot of people feel the same way.

Note: This was posted after a mild drinking session. It appears to have more feeling in it than I’m usually willing to put online.

A few of my posts in Dating and Relationships have been removed – not even floundered. Aren’t we getting a little too “PC” here?

Has this been happening recently, since the site problems came up.

Maybe its software related and data is getting accidently reloaded without updates?

I’m reasonably new to moderating and its been drummed in that posts are not to be deleted. Seems to be almost a hanging offence for mods to delete. (exceptions being double posts)

I prefer off-topic posts to go to the Flounder instead of being given a warning or reminder to stay on topic. In Flounder Forum, you have a chance to go on with that off-topic thread without any consequences while in the original thread you just have to shut up and fight down the urge to let your fingers type freely.

But deleting posts is just mean :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Chewycorns”]A few of my posts in Dating and Relationships have been removed – not even floundered. Aren’t we getting a little too “PC” here?[/quote]Knowing how crude and unfunny some of your “jokes” can be, I would have to say “no”. Unless by “PC” you mean making everyone feel welcome.

I

That’ll teach you to argue with the borg.[/quote]

Resistance is futile.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]I