Are we going camping this year or what?

And I have cool mountain streams, carless winding roads with 500 foot dropoffs, real country people, smiling and friendly, mountain coffee shops and sausage on a stick by the roadside, hawks, peopleless coastline…

MJB and I bitch about this ALLLLLL the time.

bob, you (really) don’t know what you’re missing. The pictures we and others post are far inferior to the real thing.

Enjoy your bus stop.

I had hoped for a more literate interpretation actually. You know perhaps you could have agreed that a lot of the nice places turn into parking lots on the weekends and the roads in and out of town sure as heck do and that while it is perhaps highly unlikely that any reasonable sort of change will be forthcoming to this situation soon little b bob’s stubborn insistance, while slightly ridiculous (he even admits it!) there is pretty good logic behind it and a willingness to sacrafice (rare these days). Furthermore since all of this is true it is perhaps bad style, or rather in the style of fred smith actually, to so ingraciously accept a point that has been given you on a silver platter…

bob, there are few places I go out of Taipei on the weekends that turn into parking lots. But many of the places with bus stops do.

OK now I am jealous.

don’t be jealous…just be free on the weekends :slight_smile:

don’t be jealous…just be free on the weekends :slight_smile:[/quote]

:smiley:

enough of this busriding people are lame/people with cars pollute shite.

Let’s focus on a date, sometime before wiiiiiiinter comes?

I’m going up on Aug 4 for Fri and Sat night. I’m not organising anything, but anyone is most welcome to join me.

Brian

So that’s next Friday, which is absolutely fine by me, providing there’s not another typhoon.

So, which date would the rest of you prefer, Aug. 4-6 or 11-13?

Please post which date you prefer when you see this so things can move along!

:rainbow:

[quote=“lupillus”]So, which date would the rest of you prefer, Aug. 4-6 or 11-13?
[/quote]

I’m ok with both; does anyone want to share a car or van rental?

Seeing as I can’t legally drive until 2009, I guess I’ll see you all then.

You’re banned? Ooh! What for?

If I told you, I’d have to wait even longer to drive. :smiling_imp:

The US is pretty nasty when it comes to traffic laws and insurance. And because I refused to pay for insurance on someone’s van which they totaled in the process of totalling my car (the skid marks crossing the double yellow line weren’t evidence enough of their speeding or their culpability for the accident) nor for their medical bills (the court ignored eyewitness accounts of them dancing and playing basketball at a party not even a week later, despite their “back injuries”… and of them bragging of how they were going to scam the driver…not knowing that they were talking to the driver’s grandparents at the time).

The court said, “Fine, then. Don’t pay. Don’t drive till 2009.” And I said, “Yeah, that sounds about right for the time I want to spend overseas. Bush’ll be out of office by then. See ya in 8 years!”

Anyways, long story less longer, since I cannot provide my own transportation, I cannot go camping. And even if I could, I couldn’t go for more than two days at a time, if I called off all my privates. Guess I’ll have to continue leeching off public transportation rather than becoming a contributing member to traffic. :unamused:

[quote=“ImaniOU”]
Anyways, long story less longer, since I cannot provide my own transportation, I cannot go camping. And even if I could, I couldn’t go for more than two days at a time, if I called off all my privates. Guess I’ll have to continue leeching off public transportation rather than becoming a contributing member to traffic. :unamused:[/quote]

Then…

Share a van rental with Dragonbones and Dragonbabe, and whoever else that doesn’t have a car(probably me too) :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“ImaniOU”]If I told you, I’d have to wait even longer to drive. :smiling_imp:

The US is pretty nasty when it comes to traffic laws and insurance. And because I refused to pay for insurance on someone’s van which they totaled in the process of totalling my car (the skid marks crossing the double yellow line weren’t evidence enough of their speeding or their culpability for the accident) nor for their medical bills (the court ignored eyewitness accounts of them dancing and playing basketball at a party not even a week later, despite their “back injuries”… and of them bragging of how they were going to scam the driver…not knowing that they were talking to the driver’s grandparents at the time).

The court said, “Fine, then. Don’t pay. Don’t drive till 2009.” And I said, “Yeah, that sounds about right for the time I want to spend overseas. Bush’ll be out of office by then. See ya in 8 years!”

Anyways, long story less longer, since I cannot provide my own transportation, I cannot go camping. And even if I could, I couldn’t go for more than two days at a time, if I called off all my privates. Guess I’ll have to continue leeching off public transportation rather than becoming a contributing member to traffic. :unamused:[/quote]

Get a drivers license here instead. The local authorities will not give a rats arse about the conviction.

Seriously, I am just back from DK, so too jet lagged to get up there.

Also, the owner stopped maintaining the campsite 2 years ago. All the scrubs and the tall grass has led to a very nasty kind of mosquito to settle there. I usually get bites itching for a week when up there. I have therefore decided to give the place a wide berth until the maintenance and bug fighting up there gets back under control.

And no, the bugs don’t care about off!

A couple of people who were going to go with me probably can’t make it now, but this is the only weekend I can go, so, if anyone else here wants to go camping this weekend, I’m still going. I can probably take 2 or 3 in the car, but I want to leave early Friday afternoon (come back Sunday afternoon).

Brian

I can’t make it this weekend, and looks like it will be late Sept til I am free.

I work on Friday morning, Saturday (from 10am until 9:30pm) and Monday morning so unless I go on Saturday night and come back to Taipei on Sunday night in time for my 10am class, then I can’t go, licensed or unlicensed.

maybe you should rent a DVD about camping instead. Otherwise, you’ll arrive the same day you’ll leave and just set up a tent to sleep in…thats about it.

I’m going out to Heilongtan, a really nice campsite out of Pinglin (an hour from Taipei) this Saturday, for one night. If anyone else wants to come camping or just come out for a daytrip/BBQ on Sat or Sun, just let me know.

Heilongtan thread:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 8&start=10

Brian