Are you a liar?

If you’re only a liar in the sense that you told a single lie, what’s really the impact? It’s no different than saying that some single statement of yours was a lie. Surely you won’t be marked as a liar for all eternity for that?

1 Like

I think the point is that saying someone is a liar implies accusing them of having the intent to deceive others. Otherwise, you can just say they are wrong.

That’s the same as saying they lied, or that their statement was a lie. Lying definitely involves an intent to deceive.

1 Like

this I agree with, but is “B: This is a lie.” an accusation or a statement?

e.g. A quotes random fact, B says this is a lie.
is this calling A a lier or informing him of the fact?

1 Like

And that’s why people take exception to be called a liar.

If you say that I told a lie, you are implying that I had the intend to deceive.
If you don’t know what my intent was, just say “This is wrong” (or incorrect, false, mistaken, etc.), but not a lie.

1 Like

Yes, or being told that they are lying, or that their statement is a lie.

1 Like

Good point. The plot gets thicker. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yet, you still think that “You told a lie” and “You are a liar” are two different things?

Yes. That they both are objectionable, even for the same reason, doesn’t mean that they are the same thing.

There’s also the problem of different senses of “liar” being conflated.

1 Like

Er…what?

Liar = one who tells lies.

Lier = one who lies (as in an ambush)

3 Likes

But what if you’re repeating something that was told as a lie, without you knowing it was a lie.

another example.

I tell you “All hobbits have big socks” when I know that some hobbits don’t have any socks.
you tell your wife “All hobbits have big socks”, and she says that’s a lie.

is she calling you a lier or just informing you that the statement is a lie, and in reality I’m the lier?

Another question would be, is A overreacting to the perceived insult thrown at him or should he just relax and say, “No, this is not a lie.” Is his indignation justified?

1 Like

The wife shouldn’t say “That’s a lie” if she doesn’t think I had the intent to deceive.
I don’t think someone can lie if they believe what they are saying is true.

Screenshot 2022-05-27 at 4.03.39 PM

I get similar words mixed up and spellcheckers can’t help (the only way I can stop it is by checking every word I write individually with a dictionary to find the meaning, I got special dispensation for it at uni)

1 Like

Justified, yes.
Appropriate, not necessarily. Especially in an internet forum, where misunderstandings are doomed to happen.

In the above examples, “A” is the one being accused. I modified your quote to avoid confusions :wink:

I think some one can repeat a lie without knowing it and without trying to deceive others,
I don’t think that makes them a liar, just misinformed.

I also think someone can point out a lie without insinuating that the person is a lier, and that it all comes down to context. We can generally feel when someone is being a cock knocker, or trying to belittle someone and I think that is what needs to be called out.

If I make a statement and some one says it’s a lie, I would normally ask why is it? if I’m in a bad mood or the person is being irritating or being a dick then I may snap back.

2 Likes

Had a flashback to this song:

You’re a nice person

1 Like

Only till I’m not :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Unless you’re a Clinton .