Are you doing anything to clean your water post-typhoon?

In another discussion…

[quote=“DKaoshuing”][quote=“backpacker24”]Is there any official response about how safe the water in Taipei is supposed to be now?

Is it at least okay for showering and brushing your teeth??[/quote]

I would say no if your in an area that has the problems now. You also need consider your home’s/building water system and the water storage (tank) on the roof. Some high end buildings/hotels have systems to clean the water, but most places, pump water to the roof to store until use, if this is the case you may have to clean/clear the roof water tank that is going in now as it will be there for later use.[/quote]

Are you doing anything to clean your water in Taipei, post-typhoon? Or have you heard that the system will clean itself out after … when?

I live in downtown Taipei, and the water out of the faucet is a tinge of grey. Do you think it’s safe for bathing and laundry?

I didn’t notice the water was a bit brown until I started shaving yesterday. You have to have enough water in the basin to see that the color is a bit off. Stopped using the water for drinking right after that (I normally filter and boil). Took some empty bottles to my company where they have bottled water and filled them up. A neighbor tells me to wait a couple days before drinking the tap water again.

Did you get some toilet paper out of the bathroom stalls at your company as well?

I think the way to do it is:

1. Get several containers, fill with water, and let them sit for 2 to 3 hours.
  2. Once the impurities in the water has set to the bottom, put the water on the top into a water filter.
  3. After it went through the water filter, boil the water.
  4. now it’s ready to drink.

and, do not use potassium alum on your own… it’s not worth the health risk.

I filled a gallon of water yesterday night. It was yellowish. It has not settled.

Water panic in the city, no bottled water to be found.

Mine neither, after like 6 hours or so.

[quote=“hansioux”]I think the way to do it is:

1. Get several containers, fill with water, and let them sit for 2 to 3 hours.
  2. Once the impurities in the water has set to the bottom, put the water on the top into a water filter.
  3. After it went through the water filter, boil the water.
  4. now it’s ready to drink.

and, do not use potassium alum on your own… it’s not worth the health risk.[/quote]

Online they are suggesting to boil it for a few more minutes than usual to kill off anything unwanted in the dirtier than normal water and get rid of some of the additional chemicals they have put in to make it safer to drink. Don’t know how that works. I am going to brush my teeth with sugar-free bottled tea for a few days but will use the water to shower, won’t make me dirtier and smellier than I am at the end of the day.

News is reporting that water from Feitsui is back to normal now.

In the meantime, there’s beer to drink.

I live in Nanshijiao, and all water from all of the local stores has been sold out. Including 7-elevens and Family Marts, the only water you can get there is Evian and Volvic :slight_smile: I’ve been told not to use it to drink, wash food or shower, but I am certainly not listening to the last advice lol.
And just as someone mentioned before, despite all that people still chill and eat street food. That is some kind of paradox going on.

Yep, confirmed. No convenient store around work has anything but Evian and Canadian water.

Now I envy my pets who enjoy filtered, running water.

For the love of Pete, of course you can take a damn shower, it ain’t frigging Chernobyl. :unamused:
Just don’t drink it or brush your teeth with it.
We’ve been rinsing the dishes off with bottled water after washing, as well.

My Family Mart told us what time the truck would come and we bought a case, even though we still had quite a bit stockpiled. :idunno:

[quote=“Rocket”]For the love of Pete, of course you can take a damn shower, it ain’t frigging Chernobyl. :unamused:
[/quote]

Unless you live in Taoyuan. Lord knows what actually went down at the nuclear weapon facilities back in the late 80s.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 0#p1694269

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Rocket”]For the love of Pete, of course you can take a damn shower, it ain’t frigging Chernobyl. :unamused:
[/quote]

Unless you live in Taoyuan. Lord knows what actually went down at the nuclear weapon facilities back in the late 80s.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 0#p1694269[/quote]

Buddy, if you live in Taoyuan, muddy water is the least of your problems.

So, the friendly cashier at my local Wellcome told me that they didn’t sell out of water, they pulled all TW water from the shelves out of fear that it was contaminated. I sez, “Really? You’re kidding, right?” Nope.

I always have to get a second opinion, so I go down to the regular cafe and the owner confirmed the story. I’m flummoxed. They realize that water was bottled prior to the typhoon. They have to. I dunno, man. That’s really fishy.

Then I hit the 7-11s and those kids say, “No, we sold out in the middle of the night. Some folks came around and bought it all.”

Now I’m really not satisfied, so I start a jawbone with the laoban. He says that people with inside information tipped off their friends and family, and that sparked the buy-out craze. Anybody who saw it on the news was way behind in the game. Which explains why he had five cases of Wa’Hola delivered at sunrise this morning.

And the water in my building is running crystal clear. :s

feicui supply is clean now,so most Taipei city is okay, New Taipei City not so lucky due to Xindian and Shimen source.

I compare it with my excretion. If it’s lighter than my poo, then it’s good enough for a shower.
If it’s less yellow than my pee, it’s good enough for drinking. :smiley:

On a more serious note, don’t let this water run into your water filtering system unless you are willing to replace the filter next week.

Following. Thanks for the heads up. Any news on Danshui? Thx.

It’s “convenience store”. :grandpa: :sunglasses:

I ran the tap yesterday and it was slightly cloudy; today it was crystal clear. I will still boil and filter it for a while yet; who knows what residual gunk remains in the system and in the rooftop water tanks.