Arizona Gov. Targets Ethnic Studies

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_ … ic_studies

[quote] Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer has signed a bill targeting a school district’s ethnic studies program, hours after a report by United Nations human rights experts condemned the measure.

State schools chief Tom Horne, who has pushed the bill for years, said he believes the Tucson school district’s Mexican-American studies program teaches Latino students that they are oppressed by white people.[/quote]

[quote]The Tucson Unified School District program offers specialized courses in African-American, Mexican-American and Native-American studies that focus on history and literature and include information about the influence of a particular ethnic group.

For example, in the Mexican-American Studies program, an American history course explores the role of Hispanics in the Vietnam War, and a literature course emphasizes Latino authors.[/quote]

Pretty shocking really. Puts the whole ‘must have ID’ law into a new perspective.

I guess she is just keeping America safe, protecting the border and what not.

I find this attempt to keep students ignorant of other cultures to be troublesome.

Another salvo in the right’s drive to dumb down America.

Ethnic studies program? Honestly

Whatever happened to good ol classes like algebra, chemistry, or history?

Just politics as usual. There’s always some piss-dumb polititon trying to legislate lesson plans. None of them have been in a classroom since cheating on their AP algebra exams.

What’s a ‘polititon’? :slight_smile:

What’s a ‘polititon’? :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks (not) for quoting that! :blush:

Politician.

I think we needs to teach our childrens ethnics. Or how else will they know right from wrong?

(Getting ready for my political bid)

The governor and her racist supporters are a bunch of idiots.

No classes on Hispanic literature or Native American religions or African American history? WTF? :loco:

Shouldn’t they also ban Sociology and Anthropology too? They teach about other cultures too. Certainly Asian Studies should be verboten. And Chinese classes. Don’t want our kids to grow up speaking funny languages. Hell, why not ban all teaching of foreign languages? English only! On the other hand, TESOL should be forbidden too – it’s intended for foreigners. Oh, and world history – no way, it teaches that there are other societies in the world besides the Republic of White Power Arizona.

Since when has it been the governor’s job to decide school curriculums?

But the good news is they will get their butts kicked in the end. They want war, they’re going to get it. In the end those racist bastards will be thoroughly shamed when their state loses countless essential workers, essential services, and many many millions of dollars through boycotts, lawsuits and countless other serious repercussions. Here’s one to start with:

[quote]Los Angeles officials on Wednesday approved a ban on future business with Arizona in protest against its crackdown on illegal immigrants. . .

City Council members who voted 13-1 in favor of the punitive measure said it could affect about $8 million in contracts with Arizona, but Los Angeles must first decide which of those agreements it can break without triggering lawsuits.

Another $50 million in contracts will remain in place but the council directed city department heads to refrain from doing future business with Arizona or companies headquartered there whenever possible. . .

the move by Los Angeles, which also suspends all city-related travel to the desert state.

Several other cities across the United States have considered resolutions to protest against the law or sought boycotts --among them San Francisco and Saint Paul, Minnesota. . .[/quote]
reuters.com/article/idUSTRE64B64S20100512

They also say that English teachers cannot have accents.
examiner.com/x-33854-Portlan … th-accents
Arizona is the new Wingnutistan.

If you want a little more perspective, read a little about the bill’s primary author.

He has also been photographed ‘palling around with’ J.T. Ready, a known neo-Nazi and white supremacist.

Arizona’s a beautiful state. I’m glad I got to see it years ago, because it seems I won’t be going back for a long time.

They’re not very fast learners either.

In the 90’s, the Superbowl was moved from Arizona and the state was boycotted for many years, costing them tens of millions of dollars because they refused to recognize Martin Luther King Day with the rest of the nation.

Now here we go again. They will pay for their stupidity big time.

I think we should move the Grand Canyon to another state. :2cents:

On the other hand, it seems fitting that the most famous thing in the state is a giant hole in the ground.

Isn’t the existing system of different classes for different ethnic groups rather unusual? Did anyone have that when they went to school? Does anyone know how it works exactly? Are these classes elective or do you just get put in them because of your ethnic background? Do mixed children have a choice?

That’s a valid question. I don’t know, but I would hope that they are classes which all students are welcome and encouraged to attend.

I love how you guys spout your liberal platitudes without knowing anything of the situation. This is as bad as watching AC 360 where they let the lib go on and on while anytime the con pipes up they start talking about fairness. :unamused:

Basically you had this group called The Race, who were using tax dollars to push their supremacist thinking of how they are a repressed hopeless people that should be in a state called Atzlan(sp?) that was stolen and split apart from its motherland.

I’m not making any of that up either.

The boycott by the LA city council is bullshit and you know it. It’s political grandstanding that won’t amount to anything. LA and SF are the only two cities who are considering boycotts and they also happen to be the two largest sanctuary cities on the West coast. No one is going to follow them, especially not the state. No one, outside the idiotic city council, wants a trade war between AZ and CA. If AZ and NV decide to play hardball, they could really fuck CA over on the shared water rights to the Colorado river.

As for “racist supporters” that’s going to be a pretty damn big tent soon. Broad Approval For New Arizona Immigration Law: Democrats Divided, But Support key Provisions

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”]They also say that English teachers cannot have accents.
examiner.com/x-33854-Portlan … th-accents
Arizona is the new Wingnutistan.[/quote]

Perhaps Arizona is the new Taiwan?

I don’t think anyone gets “put in them”, aren’t they either options or compulsory, like any other class?
All my Kiwi friends (well, OK, both of them then) did Maori Studies when they were in school, and it seemed like everyone took them, is that right?

I don’t see this as a bad thing.
I think it would be good to have one place all them skinheaded Nazi pigfuckers can call home and where they can enjoy each other’s company.
And where everyone else has ample warning to turn their backs on the place and shake its dust from their shoes.
Big hole in the ground ain’t that bad of an idea, you look at it that way.

[quote=“Okami”]I love how you guys spout your liberal platitudes without knowing anything of the situation. This is as bad as watching AC 360 where they let the lib go on and on while anytime the con pipes up they start talking about fairness. :unamused:

Basically you had this group called The Race, who were using tax dollars to push their supremacist thinking of how they are a repressed hopeless people that should be in a state called Atzlan(sp?) that was stolen and split apart from its motherland.

I’m not making any of that up either.[/quote]

It’s not all of La Raza who is calling for Aztlán, but the largest group within La Raza is the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán (MEChA). There is a branch of the group at the Live Oak high school in CA where the Cinco de Mayo incident occured. Here’s their website The Philosophy of MEChA. They’re the Hispanic version of the Aryan Nation. They believe that they have a birth right to Aztlán, which is supposed to be most of Northern Mexico and the Southwest US.

[quote]
Recognizing that the majority of our Raza are members of the working class, we avow an anti-imperialist analysis that includes Chicana/Chicano self-determination. Chicano self-determination must begin with the recognition of what is implied in using the term MEChA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán). Essentially, we are a Chicana and Chicano student movement directly linked to Aztlán. As Chicanas and Chicanos of Aztlán, we are a nationalist movement of Indigenous Gente that lay claim to the land that is ours by birthright. As a nationalist movement we seek to free our people from the exploitation of an oppressive society that occupies our land. Thus, the principle of nationalism serves to preserve the cultural traditions of La Familia de La Raza and promotes our identity as a Chicana/Chicano Gente.[/quote]