Arizona Gov. Targets Ethnic Studies

[quote=“lbksig”][quote=“Okami”]I love how you guys spout your liberal platitudes without knowing anything of the situation. This is as bad as watching AC 360 where they let the lib go on and on while anytime the con pipes up they start talking about fairness. :unamused:

Basically you had this group called The Race, who were using tax dollars to push their supremacist thinking of how they are a repressed hopeless people that should be in a state called Atzlan(sp?) that was stolen and split apart from its motherland.

I’m not making any of that up either.[/quote]

It’s not all of La Raza who is calling for Aztlán, but the largest group within La Raza is the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán (MEChA). There is a branch of the group at the Live Oak high school in CA where the Cinco de Mayo incident occured. Here’s their website The Philosophy of MEChA. They’re the Hispanic version of the Aryan Nation. They believe that they have a birth right to Aztlán, which is supposed to be most of Northern Mexico and the Southwest US.

[quote]
Recognizing that the majority of our Raza are members of the working class, we avow an anti-imperialist analysis that includes Chicana/Chicano self-determination. Chicano self-determination must begin with the recognition of what is implied in using the term MEChA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán). Essentially, we are a Chicana and Chicano student movement directly linked to Aztlán. As Chicanas and Chicanos of Aztlán, we are a nationalist movement of Indigenous Gente that lay claim to the land that is ours by birthright. As a nationalist movement we seek to free our people from the exploitation of an oppressive society that occupies our land. Thus, the principle of nationalism serves to preserve the cultural traditions of La Familia de La Raza and promotes our identity as a Chicana/Chicano Gente.[/quote][/quote]You know, I think you are the only person posting on this board that actually knows that.

Cheers

Never mind. Someone else said it better than I did.

I think Arizona wants to promote a Master class. A class that is pure and superior. They will soon be proposing a final solution to all the other ethnic classes.

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“Okami”]Basically you had this group called The Race, who were using tax dollars to push their supremacist thinking of how they are a repressed hopeless people that should be in a state called Atzlan(sp?) that was stolen and split apart from its motherland.

Okami, how the hell can any organization that porports to represent a repressed and hopeless people also be “supremacist?”[/quote]

Supremacism

It doesn’t require you to be in the position of dominance to hold a belief that your group is superior, unique or chosen and everyone else is a dirty filthy barbarian. The Chinese have had it, the Japanese had it with their “Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere”, Europe and the US had it with the “white man’s burden”, etc.

Yep. That’s why I said, “Never Mind.” I was going to post about La Raza, but you already did it better, and with more detail, than I would have and made my question moot.

[quote=“Okami”]
You just repeat stuff that other people make up.

The mythical land of Aztlan was, if it even existed at all, most likely in what is now Mexico. Nothing whatsoever to do with the greedy gabacho gringo.

No I don’t know it. In fact, I know the exact opposite to be true.

[quote]The San Jose City Council will vote next month on whether to join other cities and counties in boycotting Arizona . . .

Los Angeles officials Wednesday voted to bar the city from conducting business or forging new contracts with Arizona companies and to prohibit most city business trips to the state unless the immigration law is repealed.

San Francisco supervisors Tuesday approved a nonbinding resolution urging a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and asking sports leagues not to hold championship games or tournaments there.

Also Tuesday, Santa Clara County supervisors voted 4-1 to join legal efforts to overturn the Arizona law. . . [/quote]
mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15073347

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/kal … y_id=63119

kbtx.com/local/headlines/93642294.html

[quote]They’re also pressuring Major League Baseball to take its 2011 All-Star Game elsewhere, much like the National Football League did in 1993 when Arizona refused to recognize Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a holiday. . .

The Boston City Council approved a resolution calling on the Massachusetts city to pull investments from Arizona. The Oakland, California, City Council voted this week to boycott Arizona businesses. Chris Coleman, mayor of St. Paul, Minnesota, banned city-funded travel to the state.

Coleman also planned to write letters to the chairmen of the Republican and Democratic national committees, encouraging them not to choose Phoenix as the host city for their 2012 conventions.

In Arizona, the Tucson and Flagstaff city councils voted this week to file suit against the immigration law. . . [/quote]
edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05 … tt.impact/

[quote]Arizona took another hit Wednesday as Republicans cast a vote for the home of their 2012 convention. Phoenix made the short list but lost out to Tampa.

It was little surprise to tourism officials in Arizona. Since the state passed the nation’s toughest immigration law three weeks ago, its meeting and events business has fallen drastically. . .

The city risks losing as much as $90 million in hotel and convention business over the next five years because of the controversy, according to city estimates released Wednesday. The state’s hotel and lodging association has counted 23 canceled meetings for a loss of between $6 and $10 million[/quote]
washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … id=topnews

New York State is now banning European history in classes as they fear the parts about Ancient Rome and Italy will fuel a rise in Italian Pride, and Mafia enrollment thus causing social chaos.

We must preserve the social order.

Ooooooh, how scaaaaaary! :unamused:

So let’s see: Let’s say I’m a white guy who wants to major in Asian Studies at the University of Arizona. Now I can’t because it’s illegal.

Deuce dropper, Dr. McCoy and Chris with your excellent reading and reasoning skills you have officially dropped this thread to this level:
Congratulations :thumbsup:

[quote=“Chris”]
So let’s see: Let’s say I’m a white guy who wants to major in Asian Studies at the University of Arizona. Now I can’t because it’s illegal.[/quote]

No. I do not believe you are correct.

[quote]The bill, HB-2281 “Prohibits
a school district or charter school
from including courses or classes that either promote the overthrow of the united states government or promote resentment toward a race or class of people.”[/quote]

Sounds like K-12 State public school systems.

[quote]House of Representatives
HB 2281
Sponsors: Representatives Montenegro, Gowan, Seel, et al.

HB 2281 prohibits a school district or charter school from including courses or classes that either promote the overthrow of the United States government or promote resentment toward a race or class of people.
History

The State Board of Education (SBE) must prescribe a minimum course of study, incorporating Arizona’s academic standards, to be taught in Arizona public schools (Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.) § 15-701). School district governing boards must approve the course of study, including the basic textbook for each approved course and all other units recommended for credit before implementing each course in both elementary and high schools. Pursuant to A.R.S. § 15-701.01, a governing board may adopt courses of study that are in addition to or higher than that prescribed by the SBE.

Current law requires the principal of each school to ensure that all rules pertaining to the discipline, suspension, and expulsion of pupils are communicated to students at the beginning of each school year. All cases of suspension must be for good cause and must be reported within five days to the governing board by the superintendent or person imposing the suspension. The school district governing board is required to post regular notices and take minutes of any hearing concerning the discipline, suspension, or expulsion of a pupil (A.R.S § 15-843).
Provisions

· States that the Legislature finds and declares that public school pupils should be taught to treat and value each other as individuals and not be taught to resent or hate other races or classes of people.

· Prohibits a school district or charter school from including in its program of instruction any courses or classes that:

Ø Promote the overthrow of the United States government.

Ø Promote resentment toward a race or class of people.

Ø Are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group.

Ø Advocate ethnic solidarity instead of the treatment of pupils as individuals.

· States that if the SBE determines that a school district or charter school is offering a course that violates this act, the SBE must direct the Superintendent of Public Instruction (Superintendent) to notify the school district or charter school that it is in violation.

· Stipulates that if the SBE determines that the school district or charter school has failed to comply within 60 days after a notice has been issued by the Superintendent, the SBE may direct the ADE to withhold up to 10% of the monthly apportionment of state aid that would otherwise be due to the school district or charter school and requires ADE to adjust the school district or charter school’s apportionment accordingly.

· Specifies when the SBE determines that the school district or charter school is in compliance with not offering a prohibited course, ADE must restore the full amount of state aid payments to the school district or charter school.

· Stipulates that actions taken under this act are subject to appeal pursuant to laws relating to uniform administrative hearing procedures.

· States that this act cannot be construed to restrict or prohibit:

Ø Courses or classes for Native American pupils that are required to comply with federal law.

Ø The grouping of pupils according to academic performance, including capability in the English language, that may result in a disparate impact by ethnicity.

Ø Courses or classes that include the history of any ethnic group and that are open to all students, unless the course or class violates this act.

· Prohibits rules pertaining to the discipline, suspension, and expulsion of pupils from being based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or ancestry.

· States that if the ADE, the Auditor General, or the Attorney General determines that a school district is substantially and deliberately not in compliance with pupil disciplinary actions and if the school district has failed to correct the deficiency within 90 days after receiving notice from the ADE, the Superintendent may withhold the monies the school district would otherwise be entitled to receive from the date of the determination of noncompliance until the ADE determines that the school district is in compliance.

· Makes technical and conforming changes. [/quote]
azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp … ed.doc.htm

:cactus:

Hey, you’re the one who brought up La Raza and Aztlan, Okami, as if they actually posed a credible threat and were something to be concerned about. We had already entered Cloudcuckooland at that point.

[quote=“hardball”][quote]The bill, HB-2281 “Prohibits
a school district or charter school
from including courses or classes that either promote the overthrow of the united states government or promote resentment toward a race or class of people.”[/quote][/quote]
Well, if that’s the case, then it sounds like a solution in search of a problem, like banning space aliens from playing the tuba.

I had read and heard that it extends to university courses, and bans all ethnic studies courses.

I don’t think anyone gets “put in them”, aren’t they either options or compulsory, like any other class?
All my Kiwi friends (well, OK, both of them then) did Maori Studies when they were in school, and it seemed like everyone took them, is that right?

I don’t see this as a bad thing.
I think it would be good to have one place all them skinheaded Nazi pigfuckers can call home and where they can enjoy each other’s company.
And where everyone else has ample warning to turn their backs on the place and shake its dust from their shoes.
Big hole in the ground ain’t that bad of an idea, you look at it that way.[/quote]

They already got a place TC it’s called “Idaho”

Trade war? Arizona will just cut off California’s water and California will stop sending food and annoying tourists.

[/quote]

Interesting. I only saw that St. Paul was considering it. I wonder how much actual effect some of those travel bans by city councils is going to have rather than just symbolic effect of solidarity.

For SF and LA though, I still think the power lies with AZ. Especially regarding LA. Notice how the water and power contracts were excluded? Wonder why? One reason might be that they’ll get sued for breaking the contract. Another is because LA knows they are fucked if AZ cuts off the power. LA gets 44% of its electricity from out of state, mostly from coal in AZ, NV and UT. They get 7% of their power from the Hoover Dam.

53% of LA’s water comes from the Metropolitan Water District which is the CA aqueduct and the Colorado river. We can’t get much more from the CA aqueduct due to environmental requirements so if AZ and NV both sue to limit further water rights to CA it will jack up the water rates.

The more SB 1070 is in the news, the better the reaction is getting among average Americans (politicians and activists excluded). “We should boycott racist Arizona because they don’t want to let illegals in” just doesn’t play very well. The longer the protesters continue, the more people support SB 1070. Keep calling your opponents “Nazis”, “racists” and the situation “Apartheid”. It’s worked well so far.

This is almost hilarious…the same SOP on everything from the pop-up pundits… :roflmao: …attack, deflect, change to an unrelated subject, feign righteous indignation, deflect…acck!..yer killin me…LOL!

The CNN header is very mis-leading (imagine that from CNN?)…They did not ban ethnic studies. (IMO, “ethinic studies”, other than cooking classes in Home Ec, is a no-go “feel good” course that should NOT be considered anything but busy-work. But thats a different matter) This is a call for banning classes and curriculum that teaches or promotes racism and advocates overthrowing the US government.

[quote]Gov. Jan Brewer approved the measure without public statement Tuesday, according to state legislative records. The new law forbids elementary or secondary schools to teach classes that are “designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group” and advocate “the overthrow of the United States government” or “resentment toward a race or class of people.”

The bill was pushed by state school Superintendent Tom Horne, who has spent two years trying to get Tucson schools to drop a Mexican-American studies program he said teaches Latino students they are an oppressed minority. There was no immediate response from the Tucson Unified School District, the law’s main target.
edit: insert link to CNN article of same title:
edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05 … index.html [/quote]

Supt. Horne has also worked against an ethnic studies class in which the text used text was written by a South American Marxist.

He has also mentioned American border cities which have been allowing Mexican residents to be bussed to their schools so that they could collect Arizona state funding for the class hours. He said that the state was planning on going after the school district for past fraudulent charges.

What you have is a call for ending fraud being perpetrated on school districts. Fraud that is costing the state, and taxpayers, big money.

[/quote]

Interesting. I only saw that St. Paul was considering it. I wonder how much actual effect some of those travel bans by city councils is going to have rather than just symbolic effect of solidarity.[/quote]
Oakland has joined the boycott. San Jose will vote on it soon. I see other cities following.

The number of organizations cancelling their conventions in Phoenix keeps rising; the city stands to lose hundreds of millions in revenues.

Mexico has issued tourist advisories to its citizens vacationing in Arizona, sure to cause a drop in tourist numbers from across the border.

Arizona is heavily populated by Hispanics. The Republicans can kiss the Hispanic vote goodbye.