Arms or no arms

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003414427

First the KMT reportedly blocks DPP attempts at approving arms purchases from the USA. To the point that the US gets pissed off and blocks f16 C/D sales. Now the KMT is in power and apparently wants to purchase arms but the US doesnt want to rock the KMT / PRC talks and blocks arms sales.

Never can tell whats what.

Yeah, its not the KMT are any less likely to have a military leak to the PRC than the DPP.

With the drop in the USD these days, those stealth bombers are practically a bargin.

Would it be so bad Taiwan doesn’t get what it wants once in a while? Its not like there’s any chance of war or anything.

Well the idea is that if Taiwan had those arms the chances of mis-adventure by China is reduced.

TAiwan really wants those arms. Always have. Just have had trouble coughing up the dough. They got the cash, just dont want to cough it up !!

TAiwans got like 300 billion dollars of reserve? And they dont want to cough up 12billion for those arms. Thats why all the stalling.

I guess they were hoping that the US will just give it to them for like a dollar a piece??? FAT CHANCE.

Taiwan Aint Israel.

And now they are hoping to have a mutual arms reduction vis a vis China. Seeing both sides reduce expenditures?

gotta love the KMT flip flop from in power-out of power-in power again.

Hey, the KMT’s a south african term for a rubber sandal!

What is being discussed is not arms of itself, but weapons systems thereof.
You wankers make it sound like we’re gonna run outta ammo.

Frankly, I support more arms purchases for Taiwan. I think the risks of an actual military crash is dropping by the day, and the prospect of a reasonable peace agreement is more likely.

In the mean time, the more modern weapons systems are purchased by Taiwan… the easier it gets for the Chinese government to get a look at America’s military goodies.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003415049

whats goin on here man?

If one reads the taipei timez, anything is possible!

I agree. Every time I see this thread I think of something like this, or this, or this.

[quote=“tommy525”]KMT asked for arms freeze: report - Taipei Times

whats goin on here man?[/quote]

It’s pretty simple. The KMT doesn’t subscribe to the kind of “offensive defense” doctrine(i.e. the best defense is a strong offense) like the DPP did. Unlike the DPP, the KMT isn’t for TI and doesn’t view China as the enemy, so they saw no need to be in an arms race by constantly buying a bunch of over-priced US arms that they’ll have no use anyway.

And another thing

DPP’s independence related activities(i.e. UN referendum, name changes, etc.) was mostly responsible for the US blocking the F16’s at first, not the KMT. Frankly I think Taiwan would have stood less chance of acquiring those arms had the DPP been re-elected becaue they would have pursued their usual policy of Taiwan independence and angering the US even more.

so, are the Chinese going to remove the missiles they have pointing at Taiwan? NO, of course not, not until Taiwan is finally taken over. whether that’s by military force or by diplomatic weaselry remains open to debate, but the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that the missiles won’t be needed and the PRC navy will just sail calmly into Jilong harbour on a “peace mission”, and “Mr” Ma will be allowed to sit at the annual PRC rubberstampers convention as the true provincial he acts like. pussy. Chicat.

There is nothing new about Mr. Ma (btw, the only president who refuse to be call ‘ Mr. president’ :laughing: )
He’s just showing a little bit more day after day his true face.

Good luck to all Taiwanese peoples :wink:

(edit)

Ah, of course, those Chinese missiles that are supposedly pointed at Taiwan. I don’t think they’re necessarily aimed at Taiwan. In fact those missiles have probably already been de-programed from their targets and aren’t pointed at anything at all.

If what you meant is for China to move those missiles further inland so they’re out of range for Taiwan, this is what I gotta say. First, other countries don’t get to tell China where to put its military assets, it’s like China telling the US to remove their bombers and subs from Guam and elsewhere in the western Pacific. At least China is basing its missiles in the mainland and not on some far flung island. Second, how do you know that won’t happen? As cross strait relations warms further, China just might entertain the idea of removing those missiles.

By the way, when is Taiwan going to remove their missiles pointing at China. Taiwan has recently developed missiles capable of reaching China haven’t they. Oh, I forgot, since Taiwan is so small wherever those missiles are placed in the island they’d still be pointed at China.

Ah, of course, those Chinese missiles that are supposedly pointed at Taiwan. I don’t think they’re necessarily aimed at Taiwan. In fact those missiles have probably already been de-programed from their targets and aren’t pointed at anything at all.

If what you meant is for China to move those missiles further inland so they’re out of range for Taiwan, this is what I gotta say. First, other countries don’t get to tell China where to put its military assets, it’s like China telling the US to remove their bombers and subs from Guam and elsewhere in the western Pacific. At least China is basing its missiles in the mainland and not on some far flung island. Second, how do you know that won’t happen? As cross strait relations warms further, China just might entertain the idea of removing those missiles.

By the way, when is Taiwan going to remove their missiles pointing at China. Taiwan has recently developed missiles capable of reaching China haven’t they. Oh, I forgot, since Taiwan is so small wherever those missiles are placed in the island they’d still be pointed at China.[/quote]

Thank you for the few minutes of entertainment. :laughing:

don’t you worry about Taiwan, now, old chap, they’re totally 'armless.

Ah, of course, those Chinese missiles that are supposedly pointed at Taiwan. I don’t think they’re necessarily aimed at Taiwan. In fact those missiles have probably already been de-programed from their targets and aren’t pointed at anything at all. [/quote]

That is fugging hilarious!
As if there isn’t at least a Corps of PLA units whose express purpose is to make sure their select armament is aimed, gridded, patterned, and prepped to fire at less than a moment’s notice.

Far flung island?
Do you mean Hainan?
And if someone points a weapon in your direction, isn’t it par for the course to tell them to stick it elsewhere?

Why would they remove them, if they’re not pointed at anything?
Are we concerned about the animals?
Are they to find a sanctuary amongst missile sites?
Without getting eaten, by the troops?

We could point them all just on your house, if you would prefer.
It’s called an arms race. Tit for tat. Or haven’t you heard about the missile gap?

Indivisibility is nothing much more than a nationalist chest-beating perverted cop-out.
If a nation was constructed, then it can be de-constructed.
Get over it.

I think Taiwan should put some missiles on Diaoyutai.

These are the views of an average Taiwanese.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]I think Taiwan should put some missiles on Diaoyutai.

These are the views of an average Taiwanese.[/quote]

AC should settle down on tiaoyutai for life :stuck_out_tongue: