Around Taiwan on scooter (環島): Suggestions wanted on what to see

This will be my second scooter huandao; the first was in 2014. I’m looking for suggestions of unusual and interesting spots to see. I’m planning on traveling Feb. 1 ~ 17.

Although I appreciate any ideas, I’m looking for offbeat stuff more like this (both of which I’ve already visited but will go back again)…

男人石 in Taidong (Information and Google Maps)

Liu Family Mansion (“Ghost House”) in Chiayi (Information and Google Maps)

I just got my scooter fully checked and serviced this morning and I’m excited to take off!

9 Likes

Which route will you take?

Starting from Taoyuan, going counterclockwise: West side → South → East → North.

I’ll be doing a lot of geocaching while on the road as well. (What is geocaching?)

2 Likes

I mean will you be taking the coastal highway or the 3, 11 or 9 on the east coast?

Geocaching a thing here in Taiwan??? Wow… that would be fun!

2 Likes

I have no specific plans. From Taidong to Hualien I most likely will take the 11 since it’s the coastal route. However, if I see some interesting looking geocaches or places that are located on the 9, I may just take that.

I’m keeping this trip as open as possible. All I know is that I’ll leave Taoyuan on the 1st and return on the 17th.

Wow , exciting (the geocaching). We done a local version here before with friends, a local matched with non local on hidden treasure hunt+ photo shots. Will you share photos.

1 Like

There are hundreds of geocachers, and over 4,000 active geocaches, here in Taiwan. I’ll be looking for them, as well as maintaining my own caches while I’m traveling.

Here’s a video of me checking my own cache that I placed at Minxiong Ghost House mentioned above:

1 Like

That’s going to be quite a ride on a scooter. What kind of steed do you have?

Depends what you’re looking for but the 3 is a much nicer ride for most of the way south. The coastal road is quite a bit faster but there are only a couple of scenic sections.

If you like twisty mountain roads and don’t want to stop in Taichung, the 8 to the 14 to the 21 and back to the 3 is really nice. But it can get cold and icy going over Alishan this time of year.

The 3 south of Chiayi is fantastic and one of my favorite rides in Taiwan. The coastal road south of Tainan until past Kaohsiung is an industrial nightmare for the most part.

The 9 or 11 is a personal preference but if you’ve only taken the 11 before the 9 is a good change of scenery. It’s quite beautiful through Luye and Guanshan. Of course you’ll be missing some cool places like Dulan if you go the valley route.

2 Likes

try here, south of Taitung, very local

https://www.google.com.tw/maps/place/Kituru/@22.4613216,120.9394718,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNGIxZBD8n2OgiTmstlyAigcxfJVaERyKIMnSbD!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNGIxZBD8n2OgiTmstlyAigcxfJVaERyKIMnSbD%3Dw203-h203-k-no!7i3024!8i3024!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xdbd2b82734534cfe!8m2!3d22.4613385!4d120.9394044

1 Like

A simple Sym 125. I bought it new in 2012 and it’s what I used on my last huandao. It takes me all over (Yilan, 司馬庫斯…). I’ve kept it maintained religiously and I stop a lot when I ride so I think I should be OK, as long as I don’t run into too much rain.

One nice thing about Taiwan is its small size. If I’m a few days into the trip but things just aren’t going well I can always ship my bike back on the train, along with myself, and it’s never that far away.

1 Like

Model? Is it a Fighter?

It’s a 高手XproR.

1 Like

You never found it a little underpowered?

It’s been fine for me, especially compared to my first scooter: A 12-year-old 50cc pink Kymco with a basket in the front. I drove that thing for three years until I got my current bike, so of course the new one felt like a beast.

I would like my next scooter to be more powerful, and have disc brakes (I still could kick myself for getting drum brakes). However, I’m also considering getting an electric model next time, so I’m torn.

2 Likes

It’s all relative, that’s for sure. :grin:

I had a SYM Fighter before, and it had plenty of power and very reliable. But it got stolen recently, so I’m in the market for a new scooter…which is why I was curious. The only disadvantage of my Fighter was the single rear shock (not really enough for a cow). The newer models all have double shocks though.

1 Like

The “like” was not for you getting your scooter stolen. That sucks.

Yeah. I had it for years, and it was old and beat up looking (although it ran great), so pretty bad luck on my part. Anyway, a good excuse to make an upgrade. Thinking of getting a used Cygnus. I hear it’s a serious chick magnet.

Yes it is. I have one right here.