Around Taiwan on scooter (環島): Suggestions wanted on what to see

Spreading … the good word?

1 Like

Haha, I see what you did there

A “Definition CE 04 (from BMW)” would work on me (the design)

Gotta say…that’s a really weird looking scooter.

1 Like

Good for two and enviro

This. It’s all about maintenance. Change oil when the light goes on.
Check tires all the time for enough air. Get brakes tightened before a long trip. Do those 3 main things and generally all else will be fine. Our family has 2 scooters (2 children) and we’ve done many, many extremely long day-trips on them.

For the rain, just splurge slightly and get a better quality rain poncho and ride with sandals and not shoes to keep shoes dry.

Have fun!

1 Like

some trip suggestions in the following articles (Chinese )

1 Like

I spent about 30 minutes here one evening, it was fairly creepy, but the two weeks after were the worst I’ve ever had in Taiwan. Probably just a coincidence right? :thinking:

1 Like

Day 1 complete: Taoyuan to Xihu, Miaoli. 120km. 16 geocaches found. The weather couldn’t have been better.

8 Likes

Great ! Busy day

1 Like

Did Kaohsiung to Taitung on my Yamaha 125cc on 31Dec. Temperature and wind were brutal, but apart from that it was a lovely welcome-back-to-Taiwan trip. Boring countryside and the usual embarrassing Google Maps directions straight into other people’s banana fields :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: until Jialu 加祿 (ca. 1:30hrs), then the landscape opens up running parallel to the sea. Left turn towards the interior, then along the river until the tunnel that is only for cars and this is the amazing part: I rode mostly alone up and down the mountains along the old Nanhui Road with breath-taking views of the two seas. Equally stunning the remaining 1hr+ from Daren 達仁 up to Taitung, running along the cliffs surrounded by the ocean.

Brownie point. Pit stop in Zhiben 知本 for an impromptu session at the hotsprings. I think I have never loved hot water that much in my life :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Totally agree. I only save the “Gold Coast” (黃金海岸) sandy stretch with Tainan’s buildings on the background: quite scenic on a sunny day to refresh the eyes after one hour along the Nanzi to Jiading horror route.

1 Like

Day 2: Miaoli to Taichung

I spent most of the day tooling around the Miaoli countryside in the perfect sunny and cool weather. I saw that strawberries, tea, and binglang are king there. Found a geocache in an abandoned building in the middle of nowhere, as well as a beautiful house that looked straight out of a well-to-do American suburb.

By the way, big thanks to @Pubu for recommending highway 3!

10 Likes

Looks great, good weather too

3 Likes

I love that section from Nanzhuang to Shihgang…through the strawberry farms, past the Zhuolan reservoir and the down the hill overlooking the river valley. I’m guessing the reservoir is pretty empty these days?

There’s a very nice western-style house on the other side of the lake that I’ve always been curious about. Not sure if it’s a minsu (B&B) or just someone’s dream home. Also few lights and often little traffic on that whole section.

Seems you even found the shortcut over the bridge in Shihgang.

IMO, the 3 gets even better as you get farther south. The lush, tropical forest stretch south of Chiayi is scootering at its finest.

2 Likes

Day 3 Taichung to Sun Moon Lake

Made the pretty drive along the 136/14 to the geographic center of Taiwan in Puli. Then I continued eastward on the very scenic 投71/83 to 曲冰遺址 which is the largest archeological artifact site. Then I headed back west and south and made it to Sun Moon Lake just as the sun was setting. Lots of beautiful scenery today!

9 Likes

Day 4 Sun Moon Lake to Minxiong, Chiayi

I spent the morning making a 環湖 around Sun Moon Lake. I tell you, visiting mid-week in the winter was my best experience yet here, especially since I’ve been blessed with perfect weather.
After leaving Sun Moon Lake I visited a railroad museum complex in Checheng (車埕) then headed to Jiji to check on my geocache at the collapsed Wuchang Temple. I finished the day by driving to the Minxiong area of Chiayi.

Here’s a video of my cache at the temple which requires “science” to retrieve…

7 Likes

Day 5 Minxiong to Alishan

Another beautiful ride! After maintaining my geocache at Minxiong’s ghost house, I drove to Alishan to visit again Taiwan’s Pole of Inaccessibility (Taiwan’s what?), where I have a geocache that was featured on the news. Even though I was wearing four layers plus gloves I was still freaking cold. I spent a chilly night in a small railstop town called Fenqihu (奮起湖) surrounded by forest. Today was mostly driving and just taking in the beauty all around me. I also discovered that my gas gauge is broken now :expressionless:

7 Likes

Day 6 Alishan to Tainan

After doing an early morning hike on the beautiful but exhausting Cake Thief Trail in Fenqihu, I returned to the guest house for a traditional breakfast that included homemade passionfruit jam :yum:

Later I drove on one of the most picturesque roads so far this trip, the 嘉131/131-1 from hwy 18 to hwy 3. It’s rough in a few places but absolutely serene. At one point I came around a bend and saw an animal running in front of me on the road ahead. For some reason my first thought was that it was a mountain lion/cat type of animal and I stopped quickly, a little afraid. As the animal stopped and turned around I saw that it was just a monkey! I am such a city boy.

I spent quite a bit of time at Tsengwen reservoir (曾文水庫) taking in the sights and looking for geocaches. I was FTF (First To Find) on eight of them, which is a proud moment if you’re a nerdy geocacher like me.

I made it to Tainan in time to eat dinner at a Cuban burger place. Traveling the small mountain roads is making me fall in love with Taiwan all over again :heart:

8 Likes

Lovin these posts mate, absolutely beautiful! Keep it up.

3 Likes