Arrested in Thailand

Sorry, but a good number of countries here in SE Asia have the death penalty for drug trafficking. Whether we agree or not is to a large extent irrelevant, anybody who comes to this area and is unaware has done no research and deserves what they get for being an idiot unless it can be proved that said drugs were planted.
Anyone who knowlingly trafficks for whatever reason and then gets caught will recieve no sympathy from me, they know what they are doing and are prepared to take the risk for whatever personal reasons.

For me Capital punishment for these offences is OK, the misery etc that can be caused by drug use deserves such punishment.

Hanging that kid has nothing to do with right and wrong, at least not from the point of view of the people doing the hanging. They are hanging him to keep the price of heroin high. If any nitwit could get on a plane and smuggle it home the prices would drop to something like the cost of an aspirin. Not much margin in that. This hanging is no deterrent as evidenced by the number of people still willing to take the risk. The drug trade is bullshit and lies top to bottom and if you want to know why things are done the way they are follow the money. Why are so many people in the states incarcerated on drug charges? Because the people who build and run prisons contribute to political campaigns. That kid wasn’t worried about the people whoses lives he was helping to destroy and I am not much worried about his. Just don’t try and tell me that Yew himself isn’t profiting directly or indirectly from the drug trade. In the States, especially in New York, it is common knowledge that the police are controlling and profiting from the drug trade. It is the same everywhere. Make it illegal and create a huge opportunity to make money.

Absolutely right. This explains why, since the US invaded Afghanistan, heroin production there has skyrocketed:

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=119-06112004
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2814861.stm
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20030811-100220-8928r.htm

Singapore

And I totally support this strategy bob…I don’t do drugs and I don’t care how high the price goes…
As for the guy not knowing what he was getting into by taking drugs into Singapore on a layover, tough shit…he was and probably continues to be an idiot. Commonsense says you told transport drugs, period. I don’t care where you are flying it just doesn’t make any sense. :raspberry:

[quote=“Chewycorns”]

The country was ruled so much better under the British.[/quote]

why? was it because the british government forced opium upon the people of southeast asia instead of outlawing it, or was it because they were better at exploiting the locals and reducing their rights and freedoms than the current government is?

regarding the gentlemen who got caught with the heroin in singapore, and the gentlemen who got caught with the spliff in bangkok, i just don’t get it. people know the laws, and people know what can happen if caught breaking them. its not worth it to risk 5 years of jail time just for a 5 hour high in the streets of bangkok, and its certainly not worth risking certain death for a mere $25,000. thats just so fucking sad…

Vanneyel you don’t mind that the people who make laws outlawing drugs and the people who enforce those laws are the same people who sell them? You don’t mind the junky robbing you because he needs a fix. You don’t mind handing over massive amounts of money to violent criminals? Whatever you say.

Handing over massive amounts of money??? sorry bob, you must have confused me with someone who has massive amounts of money.
Do you have evidence for this conspiracy of the people making the laws and enforcing the laws selling the drugs?
You are right though, I will be highly pissed when some junkie robs me to pay for his fix… :wink:

Not “some” junky. “The” junky. Show some respect.

[quote=“wudjamahuh”][quote=“Chewycorns”]

The country was ruled so much better under the British.[/quote]

why? was it because the British government forced opium upon the people of southeast Asia instead of outlawing it, or was it because they were better at exploiting the locals and reducing their rights and freedoms than the current government is?

regarding the gentlemen who got caught with the heroin in Singapore, and the gentlemen who got caught with the spliff in Bangkok, I just don’t get it. people know the laws, and people know what can happen if caught breaking them. its not worth it to risk 5 years of jail time just for a 5 hour high in the streets of Bangkok, and its certainly not worth risking certain death for a mere $25,000. thats just so fucking sad…[/quote]

It is fucking sad. I

chewy…is this true…“universally guaranteed right to be presumed innocent until proven guilty?” Is it universally guaranteed? I thought that was only written into the U.S. legal code.

So, now that we’ve discussed Singapore’s evil government and universal principles of fairness in law, can we get an update on the guy who got nailed in Thailand??

Nothing yet MaPo. As soon as I do hear something new, I’ll post it here. You have my word.

on this subject, I’ve recently read a good book. ‘The Damage Done’ by Warren Fellows, an Australian now released after spending 12 years (approx 1978-1990) in the Bangkok Hilton. He was lucky to get out on a royal pardon after being caught with a shit-load of heroin. Fascinating and terrifying stuff.

I didn’t know you could read! :noway:

What will probably be the final update, as things have developed that, to say the least, have me more than a bit surprised.

Guess who showed up at my school’s doorstep on Wednesday afternoon? Yup. My jailbird buddy is a free man and back in Taiwan. He is only staying here for a week while he waits for his flight to Canada next Wednesday.

According to him, he spent only 4 days in jail. He stood trial, and after that the next thing he said was that he was on a plane headed for India. Of course, there is a HUGE gap in between as to how he exactly got off the hook. He won’t say, but from what I’ve heard he was lucky that the Thai authorities were willing to take a hefty payout from him and his family. His mother ended up flying over from Canada to be with him at his trial. Estimates as to the size of the payout range from the equiavalent of $2,000-4,000 USD.

But he is back, he looks surprisingly well, and is in high spirits. If I can get any more details, I’ll report back here.

JM out. :sunglasses:

Smoking pot in Thailand is a dumb idea. Walking around with it in Bangkok is the most stupid thing I’ve heard of. I met a guy whose buddy had been hauled off two days before a few years ago, he told me the whole story exactly like outlined above. Two guys dressed in tracksuits came up to their beach hut and started chatting and looking for a smoke. After half an hour they revealed they were detectives and the guys better pay up quick. One guy had the cash there and then, the other guy didn’t have the cash, went to jail for five years. They wouldn’t give him the chance to get the cash, the difference between five years and nothing was how much both guys had in their wallet.
That was on a beach in Ko Phang Nan.

For the guy who spent 2 months on the beach smoking without hassle I have one word for you- LUCK.
That is really dumb.

Doper English teachers…
headhonchoII, some of that sounds like urban legend to me.

Jinete Mortal wrote:

Great! Glad to hear the good news. I think we all learned something from his experience.

Hey, JM, if you see your buddy again, see if he can import any herbal medicine for me, if you know what I mean. Send me a pm. Thanks. :wink:

One of our Canadian teachers didn’t rock up after the holiday??Your friend maybe an empoyee of a certain Happy Marian in Taiwan??Boss lost it and tried to blacklist the guy for not coming back to school