Asian American communities stand up amid string of violent attacks

The two handled the situation amazingly well.

2 Likes

I feel so bad for the guy.

Which guy? :thinking:

So it turns out the perp has been arrested and locked up in the county jail in Martinez. Lots of ā€œgang bangers of colorā€ in that jail, so it should be an interesting experience for Mr. Racist.

2 Likes

I guess he never heard of ā€œwhen in Romeā€. Douchebag.

1 Like

Good news. Although isnā€™t this free speech?

Itā€™s prosecutable under Californiaā€™s hate crime laws, but the guy also threatened violence against the couple.

1 Like

In his defense, heā€™s from Colorado, so he may not be familiar with the lay of the land. :slightly_smiling_face:

So states can make laws which mean free speech isnt absolute?

Does a threat mean it is no longer free speech once you threaten somebody?

In the UK, he defo would be in trouble with the law but I was under the impression this kind of stuff was covered by free speech in America. I guess not.

So are you free to hate anyone you want or just not commit a crime against someone you hate?

I assumed it would be attached to some crime (which seems apparent in this case as you say) as I think is the case in other states. Iā€™ll have to take a look at the law!

Itā€™s complicated, but for a conviction to happen the racial slurs need to be attached to an actual crime. Threats of violence can be prosecuted, but a serious level of intent needs to be demonstrated. The hate crime part can add to the punishment during sentencing. Honestly though, his biggest punishment is probably going to be his time with the gang bangers in county jail while heā€™s waiting for arraignment.

4 Likes

As Asians in the US, you get this like once a couple of years. Iā€™d imagine in parts of the US, African Americans and Muslims would have to deal with this crap at least monthly.

And donā€™t forget white people. I had to endure racial slurs on a regular basis growing up in the Bay Area.

2 Likes

Stay away from Oakland, I think youā€™d be fine. I went to school in El Paso, and my classmates would refer to Hispanics as wetbacks in class. That city is like 81.5% Hispanic.

I grew up right next door to Oakland, and many of my classmates were from there, so that wouldā€™ve been pretty difficult. Having good friends who were black did keep me from getting my ass kicked on a number of occasions. Some people I knew werenā€™t so lucky.

If you grew up when Roots was first airing, then yeah, thatā€™s a pretty crappy time to be a white kid around Oakland.

1 Like

Umm can you say what slurs, Iā€™m just curious. Lolz

Honky, cracker, white bread, white trashā€¦

Ohhh, not too bad then :rofl: