Asian American communities stand up amid string of violent attacks

I’m talking about the topic, not myself. And the topic is if jackasses hadn’t elected Trump this violence against Asian communities in the states would be far less. And those are facts. Sorry if they don’t fit your ‘narrative’.

Premise. A faulty premise.

OK, so the premise of the thread is that there is a notable problem here (violent attacks specifically). The BBC article @mups just shared makes a compelling case (not to mention all the other evidence in the thread). Your personal experience may differ, and we can certainly debate the possible causes and relative weights of those causes*, but it definitely seems there is a rise in violent attacks.

Thanks for spelling out what you think like that. It clearly answered my question :slight_smile:

*some of us, like well-educated and rational adults, thank you @Poundsand

Facts?

Please tell me what my ‘narrative’ is.

You know what the answer is, it is his narrative.

1 Like

Thanks for fielding my questions for me again. The fact you do this pro bono is even more appreciated.

1 Like

I’m a giver, a teacher, and a decent human being. Also, please be reminded that you are my free entertainment, so it isn’t pure altruism!

2 Likes

A significant role in him damn near losing to a historically unpopular president in the middle of a historically mismanaged epidemic, is more like it.

I’ll take it.

Wait, no, I just re-read that. BLM and civil rights were at the forefront of Biden’s victory. He does not win the presidency without the black vote and BLM were a major factor in that. Those are facts. Joe Biden broke Obama’s record for most votes ever cast for a U.S. presidential candidate. 87/12.

Yep, there certainly seems to be a rise. And like I said, the covid related attacks are a particular issue of stupidity and concern. But when talking larger issues, you gotta try and take the emotions out of it, and I think the overall crime rates are still pretty low - the overall rates may have risen from a yawn to an eh (I suspect some of the rates (1200% increase in OC! uh, ok, from what to what?) are a bit alarmist and due to super low initial numbers); while all crimes are bad, and some attacks (like the attacks on the elderly mentioned in the article) are heinous, in the absence of something that shows it’s moved up from “way lower than every other group,” I have a hard time getting worked up with this being a general trend of concern.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I’m not exactly sitting here crying and screaming about it. I believe I have mentioned previously in this thread that I would just like to see some consistency in how we talk about race, that’s about the only issue here that I have any personal stake in. If certain posters want to make a big deal about race (getting emotional, you might say), then it matters here or it doesn’t matter there. Talking larger issues, big picture perspective, that is.

I disagree; while all racism is bad, the magnitude and effect certainly isn’t equal, so it being a bigger deal in one discussion vs another makes a whole lot of sense.

1 Like

Here we have agreement, I think

In terms of, for example, the relative importance of race in income inequality in the US vs the importance of race in the prevalence of modern slavery, I would agree that it is a bigger deal in the former than the latter. I believe I agree with your sense here.

When it comes to laying blame for social issues in the US, though, and for me, a person should make a decision and stick with it: either race is important or it isn’t. If people want to use stats about race to justify their opinions, they cannot simply dismiss stats about race that work against them.

So, here we seem to disagree, and I don’t think we will come to a consensus so I’m happy to agree to disagree.

2 Likes

Why can’t it be important for some races, but not others, since different races (as a group) have had drastically different experiences?

1 Like

Well, if we’re going to talk about drastically different experiences, then we should look holistically and race shouldn’t be a prime factor in my opinion. I see what you have presented as an argument to focus less on race and more socio-economics in terms of equality in the US.

Maybe an example or two to illustrate your point would help me to give a better answer. With reference to the thread if you can.

1 Like

In the U.S., it can be very, very difficult to separate socio-economics from race. For example, for blacks, slavery to reconstruction to the broken promises of reconstruction to jim crow to fucking over blacks in the gi bill to redlining to unequal treatment in the justice system (from contact to arrest to sentencing)… They’ve had one long, unique, uninterrupted ass fucking. Doesn’t mean there aren’t opportunities or that some people don’t thrive… It’s just that much harder. We can delve into some specifics there if you really need to.

I’m not sure what you’re asking for ‘with reference to the thread’ - can you clarify?

the specific race and social issue that is the topic of the thread

I think I’ll pass on that - you brought up discussions of other races, and how they should be treated with the same relative importance, which is why we went down this track of disparate treatments of races.and how in the u.s. it’s difficult to separate from socio economic discussions - I don’t think that goes well with the general issues discussed in this thread. If you had some specific ideas you think would be interesting to tie together, I’m more than willing to read them and may reengage if I see the tie (or if it’s just interesting even if totally unrelated :slight_smile: ).

1 Like
1 Like

The former assemblywoman noted this is not a recent problem but has been going on for decades. Does she post here?