Ask urodacus!

Actually, it was probably the Chinese who invented toilet paper.

No toilets, but they had toilet paper for several thousand years.

Why do Americans and Canadians say and spell aluminium so strangely?

If a bottle of beer, a large glass of wine and a couple shots of spirits all contain roughly the same calories (and roughly the same amt of alcohol), which they apparently do according to THIS link, why the common assumption that beer makes you fatter than other booze? Why the term “beer belly” and not “booze belly”?

Edit: On second thought, after examining that link, it looks like shots of spirits may provide the most buzz for the lowest calories (good to know) by a slight margin, provided one doesn’t add juice or cola. But it still doesn’t seem to be such a significant difference that beer alone should get the bad rap, no?

because there is no i in team.

Actually, it was originally spelt aluminum and was changed to bring it into line with other metals in Europe… The chemistry organising body IUPAC stipulates the ium ending for all chemical publications, although it recently has allowed the um ending as an alternative.

worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

See, I used spelt. That’s going against the grain… I could have used smelt, but that would have been a red herring.

why do most people neglect the final e in adrenaline? Because they’re sloppy loosers.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]If a bottle of beer, a large glass of wine and a couple shots of spirits all contain roughly the same calories (and roughly the same amt of alcohol), which they apparently do according to THIS link, why the common assumption that beer makes you fatter than other booze? Why the term “beer belly” and not “booze belly”?

Edit: On second thought, after examining that link, it looks like shots of spirits may provide the most buzz for the lowest calories (good to know) by a slight margin, provided one doesn’t add juice or cola. But it still doesn’t seem to be such a significant difference that beer alone should get the bad rap, no?[/quote]

Because you can drink five litres of beer at a sitting (well, with some standing up to go and have a piss in between) but you probably won’t drink five litres of scotch.

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]If a bottle of beer, a large glass of wine and a couple shots of spirits all contain roughly the same calories (and roughly the same amt of alcohol), which they apparently do according to THIS link, why the common assumption that beer makes you fatter than other booze? Why the term “beer belly” and not “booze belly”?

Edit: On second thought, after examining that link, it looks like shots of spirits may provide the most buzz for the lowest calories (good to know) by a slight margin, provided one doesn’t add juice or cola. But it still doesn’t seem to be such a significant difference that beer alone should get the bad rap, no?[/quote]

Because you can drink five litres of beer at a sitting (well, with some standing up to go and have a piss in between) but you probably won’t drink five litres of scotch.[/quote]

No, no, no :no-no:

That’s cheating. The question is one bottle of beer, one large glass of wine, one double-shot of spirits. All contain roughly the same amout of alcohol. All contain roughly the same calories. Will they all make the same “beer” belly equally?

And, while I’m here, I’ve got another Q. Coke or Diet Coke, which is unhealthier? Sure all that sugar’s gotta be bad, but who knows what the hell phenylalanines are or do?

OK, you got me. I have no idea. Maybe because it’s fizzy…

Phenylalanine is just a normal amino acid, and is metabolised like most amino acids of similar form that you eat. since you don’t actually need much to make the taste sweet, it’s not like you’re consuming a lot of the stuff. However, if you have a rare disorder where you lack that particular enzyme that breaks it down (phenylalanine hydroxylase), then you will build up dangerous levels of it and it will be excreted as another metabolite (phenylpyruvate), making your urine black and also contributing to other health problems. These people are known as phenylketonurianics, and the condition is phenylketonuria.

Coke is probably less healthy than Diet Coke, but they’re both bad because of the high phosphoric acid content, and the moderate dose of caffeine is probably better delivered in green tea, which has so many other beneficial chemicals in it.

Hey urodacus. For some reason this though came across my mind yesterday. Then I realised you were the PERFECT person to ask.

Who would win in a fight between a virus and a germ/bacteria (is there a difference between a germ and bacteria)?

[quote=“irishstu”]Hey urodacus. For some reason this though came across my mind yesterday. Then I realised you were the PERFECT person to ask.

Who would win in a fight between a virus and a germ/bacteria (is there a difference between a germ and bacteria)?[/quote]

My money’s on the virus, the bacteria’s just another cell, and the virus can just up and do its thing, latching on to the cell wall and sucking out all the goodies.
Hey, now that I think of it, why it’s just…like…

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!

[quote=“irishstu”]Hey urodacus. For some reason this though came across my mind yesterday. Then I realised you were the PERFECT person to ask.

Who would win in a fight between a virus and a germ/bacteria (is there a difference between a germ and bacteria)?[/quote]
I am guessing Virus, coz it can mutate and can’t be killed. Bacteria can be killed with antibiotics (right??). Ofcourse virus are parasites so they need other cells to multiply…well Urodacus wil help us.

Well yeah, but let’s just pretend for a moment that the virus doesn’t have access to a pharmacy.

haha, cage match.

[color=#800000]virus[/color]
vs
[color=#000000]bacteria[/color]

Bacteria can be infected by viruses. Bacteriophages have long been used in Eastern Europe as an anti-bacterial disinfectant.

Ittybitty phages attacking a big bad bacterium.

Well yeah, but let’s just pretend for a moment that the virus doesn’t have access to a pharmacy.[/quote]
There I was trying to be all smart and impressive :smiley: . A bacteria can be destroyed, viruses are indestructible
according to me

Well yeah, but let’s just pretend for a moment that the virus doesn’t have access to a pharmacy.[/quote]
There I was trying to be all smart and impressive :smiley: . A bacteria can be destroyed, viruses are indestructible
according to me
[/quote]

Yeah, actually, all kidding aside, I think most, if not all, of what you wrote is true. Also, some would say that a virus isn’t really alive in the first place. I’m dying to know what His Holiness has to say on the subject.

This is a diagram of my favorite kind of virus (I had to choose a favorite kind in 9th grade science class), and it can kick some bacterial butt! But I’m more interested in why you are thinking of these things. Hmmmm?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Phage … l_cell.png

IN general terms, viruses can kill bacteria, but bacteria can’t kill viruses. By that logic, viruses win.

But, some bacteria CAN kill viruses using protein digestion machines that all cells possess. So, by THAT logic, bacteria win. It’s all a moot point, really, because while the virus and the bacterium are looking for ways to tie their boxing gloves onto their non-existent hands before squaring off against each other and duking it out, along come a small worm that eats them both, unnoticed , as it snacks out on some tasty algae. The worm is in turn eaten by a wee little quail, and worm, bacteria, and virus are all digested away in the quail’s stomach, shortly before the quail is beheaded, plucked, stuffed, roasted and eaten by a hungry human.

Who is run over by a reversing garbage truck in the back lane of the restaurant as he sneaks out for a quick cigarette between courses.

Hey, could a slrupee brain freeze cause you to have a stroke?

I got this one.
The Brain Freeze has nought to do with your brain, it’s actually a nerve response causing rapid dilation and swelling of blood vessels in the roof of the mouth. Sympathetic nerves in the temples and head react accordingly.
Just so’s you know, the 2 best ways to make it go away are to breathe in through your mouth, since the air is much warmer thatn the slurpee (or ice cream), or speak, which accomplishes the same thing.

yeah, I know that stuff, smarty pants. I was just thinking that all that rapid dialation of blood vessles could somehow cause a stroke, by loosening a tiny clot, or causing constriction in another part of a vessle, or something like that.

Right.
Chicks don’t get science, give it up.