Ask urodacus!

Where can I buy one of those poles for my roof top?

1 Like

Maybe in Poland?

I must say thank you to all those who butted in and answered on my behalf. I’ll take credit for them all, of course.

5 Likes

https://tw.bid.yahoo.com/item/此款不宅配-限定基隆-桃園-3尺-美髮旋轉燈-龍輝美髮-100490251809

2 Likes

@urodacus how does one achieve big brain?

Is it better for spiritual enlightenment to have many different patches in the tapestry of life, or to stay at one thing because it’s comfortable and easy?

3 Likes

@urodacus how to find X?

1 Like

@RickRoll i must admit i have been sitting on the sidelines, eating popcorn, with this one.

I’m not a cunning trigonometer nor even a mildly curious geometer, so I’ve been leaving it to the experts. I did like the attempted numerical approach, but as pointed out by others, these thingies are never drawn perfectly accurately, nor well enough to go all CAD/CAM analysis on a scan of the screenshot.

all i can say is that there are only two parallel sides, AB and DC, but length AB is not equal to length CD, so angle ABD is not equal to angle ADC. that much is evident because angle DAB is 1.5 time angle BCD. So don’t let that trick you up.

Also, angles BAC + ABC + ACB = ACD + CAD + ADC = 180degrees

that should give you enough simultaneous equations (solving also for y(x) and z(x) where the angles are not given).

2 Likes

Big brain is best achieved by activation of the basal progenitor cell growth promoter gene ARHGAP11B in the neurogenesis phase of early foetal brain development. This gene (mutated from the 11A form in other primates) is the main driving force behind human’s large brain size in general (and probably also Neanderthal and Denisovans), from about 500,000 years ago.

see more details in works by Dr. Wieland Huttner at the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics in Dresden, Germany.

1 Like

as for the second part of your question, I’m firmly in favour of the first option: do something new every day. and many things concurrently.

3 Likes

It’s deformed, on purpose, so that you have to think.

1 Like

Basically you don’t know. Join the rest of us.

My guess is it’s either a contest math problem that requires a clever solution. Or a calculus/analysis problem where you need to minimize a function and find x = 15 degrees.

2 Likes

Hence the popcorn.
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

3 Likes

Ain’t got no clue what y’all are talking about. But I do agree with this statement.

3 Likes

@urodacus who’s the GOAT of tennis. Please end the debate.

It has ended.

Thank you for the tennis comment.

I have a whole CV that needs some polish. Can I send that to you too?

1 Like

I’d go with Sampras or Bjorn Borg…

Lol. I may have misinterpreted your request. I thought you were calling me the tennis GOAT (and how did you know?).

And then asking me to end the geometry debate, as it had become the longest rally of the tournament. Which has been done.

So, who is the real tennis GOAT? I’m not sure there can be a single answer, but I do like Federer. It’s not just the tennis: he’s the whole package

2 Likes

You like his package.

2 Likes

@urodacus when I was a kid I wanted to become a biologist. Life took me somewhere else. I’ve been wondering these past years how difficult is to get a well paid job doing field research without any actual experience. I talked to a guy who was doing this all over the planet but he started really young. He said people kill for these jobs, not easy to start in the field with a paid job.

Please tell me how wrong he is.

1 Like

Unfortunately he is right. So, in answer to your request, “Please tell me how wrong he is”, i can only say: He is not very wrong at all.

I would start with a degree in biology or ecology, or even some kind of earth science like geology or geophysics (if you’re just interested in doing research/working ‘in the field’, it may or may not involve animals and plants. maybe just rocks?).

then, go cap in hand to an environmental analysis company, or a mining company, or even a conservation NGO. show them the multiple volunteer field trips you have done, show them your 4WD handling certificates, your diving licenses, your scars from where you were bitten by a koala.

and they MIGHT give you an internship. or even a real job.

and as for the second part of the question: well paid? In your dreams, Sonny Jim… In your dreams!

4 Likes

I see. Well, I’m not really surprised by your response even if I was hoping for something totally different. He did mention doing volunteering and other activities for building a resume so to say. Some of these researches are (very) well paid or that’s what I understood, but many aren’t (in some cases,they give you peanuts).

If that’s going to land me a nice job, I’ll get some scars over the weekend.

1 Like