ASUS broke my 35k ntd laptop, what to do?

I had some keyboard issues, so sent to ASUS for repair. They called and said I had a new issue where I could only boot up the laptop if I had the charger plugged in.

Then they called me the next day and said oops, you also can’t unplug it now without it shutting off immediately (it’s essentially now a desktop). There’s no replacement parts available for this, so even if I paid for it, it can’t happen.

So now, I have to pickup my broken laptop that they turned into a desktop and pay a fee. They offered no compensation, no replacement, no anything. “Oops”.

What do I do? My wife (that speaks fluent Chinese) tried arguing with a supervisor, but they just keep repeating themselves that they can’t do anything. It’s causing tension between my wife and I since she’s arguing on my behalf.

I had an Asus where the screen suddenly stopped working and repairing it would not be covered by warranty. I think you’re probably just SOL. In the US if it was relatively recent I’d contest with the credit card but usually no recourse here.

No warranty then nothing can be done I guess. I’m assuming it’s a few years old.
Actually you could probably sue them and get a new laptop. But that’s also some hassle and $$.

That’s wild. So I can’t get my laptop back (to at least harvest for parts - I have a new) unless I pay for the parts and labor of the laptop they killed.

1 Like

They should waive the fee, no? It’s hardly fixed. I might try to push it up the chain.

Yeah good idea - we called back and asked for supervisor (after he insistently said a few times there was no one else, he magically found someone to transfer us to). Not quite sure what’s going to happen yet, but seems like we reached someone with a soul.

It was actually worse than we thought. The story changed a 3rd time and 4th time in between - it won’t even turn on now. From power working 100% (when I turned it over to them), to “only to turn it on, then you can unplug it”, to “sometimes it turns off when you unplug the cable”, to the current situation of “you can’t turn it on at all now”.

What a mess~ To think if we didn’t insist on a supervisor, I would’ve been left with a fee to pay them for destroying my laptop O_o and only when we spoke to a supervisor did we figure out the real [final] situation. Seems like it was a downplay of someone accidentally messing up the laptop, and responsibility constantly being passed with more truth being revealed each time it passed along.

3 Likes

there’s not much to do, they won’t give compensation easily.
just make a formal complaint and hope for the best

Sound like a techie has fucked up and was too frightened to tell his boss, hoping you would just pay and accept it and the problem would go away.

I used to remember to always ask for people’s names that service my stuff so if I ever have to file a complaint, someone’s name is on there to take responsibility. I got too trusting over time (of having good luck for years until now).

Sound like a techie has fucked up and was too frightened to tell his boss, hoping you would just pay and accept it and the problem would go away.

Haha, precisely!

3 Likes

How old is it?

So was there some lingering problem and all of a sudden it happened, or what?

I think whoever tech that it happened to owes you an explanation.

And Asus should have a laptop they can compensate you with.

Unfortunately for stuff like data, there’s nothing they can/will do about it… but they should at least give you another Asus laptop.

Even Apple would do that…

The only issue was that the keyboard was messed up - apparently you shouldn’t use alcohol wipes to clean your keyboard. Learned the hard way.

Everything else worked great - died at their repair center.

It’s a few years old, gen8 Intel cpu, so it’s not too bad. Taiwan is so behind on tech specs that it’s officially "a few years old, which is “1 year old in Taiwan”, relatively, in terms of specs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . Way out of warranty.

Which model is it?

I’ve heard some Asus laptops have a hardware bug where plugging in an AC adapter and USBC power delivery charger simultaneously fries the motherboard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q917XR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Iirc I upgraded the ram to 16gb, forgot - don’t remember it just being 8. I’ll check when™ I get it back.

Oh, it’s 7th gen i5, not 8th! So +1 year to my memory.

Yea, that’s Asus’s problem.

You should be demanding money back or else.

Get in touch with the consumer bureau…

https://appeal.cpc.ey.gov.tw/www/step_explanation.aspx

You can just pull the drive out and pop it into a case.

The problem is, at least legally, it’s your responsibility to back up data before sending it to any shop, as they may/will erase the drive and reinstall Windows as a part of the diagnostic process.

Plus you can’t just clone the drive into another laptop especially if their hardware spec is different. The windows simply won’t work done this way.

I can’t even get it back until I pay for the repair fees for the keyboard.

However, there’s someone taking care of us. The only thing is I’ll probably have to let them keep it for like a month. We’ll see.

I’m not talking about cloning it. I’m talking about extracting data like pictures so they don’t get lost.