August 6 Hike: Up the Creek in Daxi

[quote=“ratlung”]Okay, I am excited about this one as I already hiked down the creek. Last time I was rather disappointed that we did not get the chance to try out those swimming holes. The one underneath the waterfall seemed perfect.

What time are we meeting? I would pledge for as early as possible, as it is a long drive down to Daxi.

By the way, I fixed my breaks. After finding out that local stores as well as the Toyota dealer were unable to do so for a reasonable amount of money, I did this myself. So riding in my car up and down the mountains should be safe again. Well, as save as it was before my break trouble, considering that I am the driver. :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Great. Great. Great to have you along. Is Ratbabe coming?

Tell us what time you want to meet at Muzha MRT station? How about 8 or 9? If we get to the swimming area early we can hang out all day like at Pingxi last weekend and anyone tired can take a nap. Also, non drivers can sleep on the way.

cool another car, so what time are we meeting up ? ratlung do you have space for one more person ?

[quote=“Muzha Man”]
Great. Great. Great to have you along. Is Ratbabe coming?

Tell us what time you want to meet at Muzha MRT station? How about 8 or 9? If we get to the swimming area early we can hang out all day like at Pingxi last weekend and anyone tired can take a nap. Also, non drivers can sleep on the way.[/quote]

8 or 9 at Muzha MRT sounds great. How about 8:30 if everybody agrees, I am always up for earlier though. I agree with your accessment Muzha_Man, sleeping by the creek and hanging out there all day long sounds so much better than driving there and rushing back in the dark. Although, now I know all the pitfalls along the trail, since I stepped in every single one the last time. :fume: Nevertheless, I will bring one or two flash lights this time.

So far ratbrain is undecided wether to come or not, so I just keep one seat for her reserved until further notice.

That makes a total of 3 seats available for fellow hikers.
-1 for snafu.
so 2 left.

Or is snafu bringing his girl?

Travel girl is currently traveling in China (she is the travel girl afterall she has to be traveling) so it will only be me.

Alright, I am going to say 8am then. I know it’s early but it will be around 10am by the time we really get on the trail. Let’s say it’s 2 hours to get up to the spot, that leaves us only 3-4 hours to hang out and explore. Again, people not driving can sleep on the way, and everyone can have a snooze at the falls. It won’t be a very taxing river trace up in any case. Just walking up a shallow stream really.

As rat says, we don’t want to go back in the dark so assuming it takes 2 hours to get to the falls (I am hoping 1.5 now that we have proper shoes) we need to start heading back no later than 4.

As for flashlights, yes, everyone please bring one. Also river boots, a towel and bathing suit, sunscreen, lunch, and about 1 litre of water. We have two water filter pumps (and will be in a nice clean stream) so there’s no need to carry 2-3 litres.

Dry bags are not necessary as you won’t get in deep water on the way up. The only deep part is under the waterfall.

Will we be going through the new Xueshan tunnel to get to Daxi?

Two water pumps? Who has the other one?

Also, is there a place we can leave the car in Mucha on Saturday night, so we don’t have to worry about parking it downtown?

[quote=“Chris”]Will we be going through the new Xueshan tunnel to get to Daxi?

Two water pumps? Who has the other one?

Also, is there a place we can leave the car in Muzha on Saturday night, so we don’t have to worry about parking it downtown?[/quote]

No, we won’t take the tunnel. Traffic is horrendous unless you go before 5am or after 11am.

Rat has a pump.

You can park it near Wanfang Community Centre MRT. Then just drive down the road 2 minutes and you’ll be at Muzha MRT. Or I can just meet you there if you don’t know the way.

I’d like to join you for this hike, are there still place for one?
How about venture a little up from waterfall to see what the trail leading to PingLin look like?

[quote=“trail_hacker”]I’d like to join you for this hike, are there still place for one?
How about venture a little up from waterfall to see what the trail leading to Pinglin look like?[/quote]

We have already done the entire river starting from the top. There is very little trail; mostly it is completely overgrown. You can’t get to the Wantan Trail from the waterfall without following the river up (there are a few sections of trail but mostly you must stay in the river) and then bushwacking up a hill to the temple just below the road.

I’d be up to venture up that north going trail (on the map) that looks like it joins the western part of the Caoling Historic Trail.

Looks like Rat has room for you.

[quote=“trail_hacker”]I’d like to join you for this hike, are there still place for one?
How about venture a little up from waterfall to see what the trail leading to Pinglin look like?[/quote]

You can ride with me.

1 more left.

Many thanks , Ratlung!

By the way, I’ll bring another water filter and an homemade alcohole stove for tea or coffee.

[quote=“trail_hacker”]Many thanks , Ratlung!

By the way, I’ll bring another water filter and an homemade alcohole stove for tea or coffee.[/quote]

If you want to bribe me, then bring rather a homemade alcohol fridge for cold soda and beer. :laughing:

Hi all,

Back from my out-of-body, no, -country, travels now and ready to hike. I think Ms. Seeker4 might be in as well, but the transportation seems to have just gotten tight. Not sure we can get a car this time. Hmm?

Agree with 8am meeting time. We’ve learned that river tracing there is hard to predict, so extra time never hurts.

Irishstu: I also have an extra pair of river shoes (rubber bottom) in size 13 U.S. If your friend wants to borrow them, that’s fine. Just give some advance notice.

Seeker4

[quote=“seeker4”]Hi all,

Back from my out-of-body, no, -country, travels now and ready to hike. I think Ms. Seeker4 might be in as well, but the transportation seems to have just gotten tight. Not sure we can get a car this time. Hmm?

Agree with 8am meeting time. We’ve learned that river tracing there is hard to predict, so extra time never hurts.

Irishstu: I also have an extra pair of river shoes (rubber bottom) in size 13 U.S. If your friend wants to borrow them, that’s fine. Just give some advance notice.

Seeker4[/quote]

Glad to hear that you are coming. I only have one seat available that I can offer to you. I heard from ratbrain that she is also coming. So in the ratwagon would be:

snafu
trail_hacker
ratbrain
ratlung
?seeker4?

I’m flexible for transportation.
As I know well this area. I can take train there if seats are not enough.

[quote=“ratlung”][quote=“trail_hacker”]Many thanks , Ratlung!

By the way, I’ll bring another water filter and an homemade alcohole stove for tea or coffee.[/quote]

If you want to bribe me, then bring rather a homemade alcohol fridge for cold soda and beer. :laughing:[/quote]

Hmm, a few Erdingers or Hoegardens to cool in the pool might be nice. :sunglasses:

[quote=“ratlung”]Glad to hear that you are coming. I only have one seat available that I can offer to you. I heard from ratbrain that she is also coming. So in the ratwagon would be:

snafu
trail_hacker
ratbrain
ratlung
?seeker4?[/quote]
It will be good to see you and everyone else also. Hold the one seat for me, may be solo anyway. Working on the details. I’ll be back in touch. Thanks.

[quote=“trail_hacker”]I’m flexible for transportation.
As I know well this area. I can take train there if seats are not enough.[/quote]
You are fine. Please don’t change your plans to ride with Ratlung. There is enough room for everyone. This group has always been very accomodating.

Hey MM. Looks like my mate has the same size feet as yourself. Please bring your spare pair, and thanks again.
Cheers,
Stu

(Seeker4, thanks for the offer too, but no need. Looking forward to seeing you.)

[quote]

[quote=“trail_hacker”]I’m flexible for transportation.
As I know well this area. I can take train there if seats are not enough.[/quote]
You are fine. Please don’t change your plans to ride with Ratlung. There is enough room for everyone. This group has always been very accomodating.[/quote]

Actually it seems to be more convinient for me to take train, rather than meet at Mucha firstly.
I’m even planning to depart Saturday, hiking, than camping at trailhead and meet you guys somewhere along the river. So don’t count me for the car.

Sorry folks I have to cancel this hike. If you guys decide to still go here’s a few points you should consider. We really don’t know exactly how long it will take to the waterfall so you may not get a lot of time at the falls (at least a couple hours though). In this area, localized showers in the late afternoon are always a possibility in summer (I was thinking of this when Omni and I went to Pinglin on Wednesday and we had storm clouds above when it was clear in Xindian). Since the best way back is along the river you should leave by 2-2:30 (depending of course on how long it took to get up). You must give yourself enough time to return by the overgrown path if that should be necessary. I believe it took us 3.5 hours last time on the trail. So you need to leave by 2:30 to be able to make it back before dark if it starts to rain and the river swells and you have to take the terrible overgrown trail.

Also, don’t wear sandals even though you are going to change into river boots. If you need to hike on the overgrown trail you should have boots or runners at least.