August 6 Hike: Up the Creek in Daxi

[quote=“Chris”]The pool and falls are very beautiful - the pool somewhat bigger than the one at Wulai, but not as much fun, what with no waterslides. The waterfall is about 3m high, and there’s another one behind it that we couldn’t get to. The pool is walkable 2/3 of the way to the waterfall. You can swim behind the waterfall, where there’s about 1m of space. The currents are not strong, but some of us noticed leeches on the cliff wall!

The water is very clean and the location is pristine. It’s certainly not a place often visited by people.

I didn’t bring our camera, but others in our group did. I hope to see some of them posted here soon![/quote]

Interestingly, the fall does not look 3m in the pics. Nor does it look as big as it did from the trail last time. But it still looks like a marvelous spot. I’m sure Irishstu’s friend has gained a very positive impression of Taiwan from this.

I guess you guys didn’t have time to hike up on the trail behind the falls to the canyon Rat and I explored a bit last time. I think a person could get to the top of the fall and jump in from the back way. Maybe even set up a rope at the top so others could then climb up.

Good to hear that traffic was manageable through the tunnel, and it was a fairly quick trip.

Sounds like the journey up is enjoyable so no need to really rush. But it would be nice to spend a couple hours at the fall.

Rat, I definitely would like to go with you, and soon.

There is always the option that there is another waterfall further up. I don’t remember the location that well from our first exploratory trip. What I do know is that we did not make it all the way to the huge rock formation where we had our rest and from where the trail started off. So there is an unknown distance between the swimming hole we went to and the trail head. It seemed rather difficult/dangerous to get up that waterfall, and the valley seems also steep, and we could not exactly make out the trail either. But I am sure with the right equipment and a concentrated effort, it should be doable. [/quote]

[quote=“Muzha Man”]
Rat, I definitely would like to go with you, and soon.[/quote]

Okay, when are we trying it then again?

Mucha_Man: The pool did indeed look smaller than I remembered it when we viewed it from the trail that time, but it was probably just an illusion - I remember it seemed farther away from the trail, too.

ratlung: According to Google Earth, the flat rock where we rested is about 70m upriver. The flat rock is clearly visible on Google Earth. Next time we could bring ropes along (ones we can tie to trees and leave there) to make it easier to climb up to the trail.

Some more facts:

Here are the coordinates of the falls:
Latitude: 24.94793
Longitude: 121.85731

Using the Google Earth path measurement tool to account for curves on the road and the river:

From the parking lot to the end of the dirt road: about 1.5km.

From the end of the road to that long pool we rested in (the one close to the neck-massage waterfall): about 1.2km.

From the long pool to the waterfall: edit: about 1.1km.

That means the long pool is near the half-way point from the end of the road to the waterfall. Good for future reference.

[quote=“ratlung”][quote=“Muzha Man”]
Interestingly, the fall does not look 3m in the pics. Nor does it look as big as it did from the trail last time. But it still looks like a marvelous spot. I’m sure Irishstu’s friend has gained a very positive impression of Taiwan from this.

I guess you guys didn’t have time to hike up on the trail behind the falls to the canyon Rat and I explored a bit last time. I think a person could get to the top of the fall and jump in from the back way. Maybe even set up a rope at the top so others could then climb up.
[/quote]

There is always the option that there is another waterfall further up. I don’t remember the location that well from our first exploratory trip. What I do know is that we did not make it all the way to the huge rock formation where we had our rest and from where the trail started off. So there is an unknown distance between the swimming hole we went to and the trail head. It seemed rather difficult/dangerous to get up that waterfall, and the valley seems also steep, and we could not exactly make out the trail either. But I am sure with the right equipment and a concentrated effort, it should be doable. [/quote]

[quote=“Muzha Man”]
Rat, I definitely would like to go with you, and soon.[/quote]

Okay, when are we trying it then again?[/quote]

The flat area with the huge rock formation should be about 100 metres back from the waterfall. I remember we only walked a couple minutes on the trail from the rock formation before we saw the waterfall. The only thing between the fall and the big rock formation is the canyon you and I explored. I remember being pissed off that I had not walked down the trail a little longer when I first checked it out or I would have seen the fall.

Do you want to try this weekend if the weather is good?

Chris, did you guys try to get on the trail that goes around the falls?

I didn’t, but I could see what looked like the place on the trail where we observed the falls. It didn’t look that far up, but the hill looks steep and jungly.

I don’t know if anyone went up to scout for a path. I was having too much fun in the water at the time!

I didn’t, but I could see what looked like the place on the trail where we observed the falls. It didn’t look that far up, but the hill looks steep and jungly.

I don’t know if anyone went up to scout for a path. I was having too much fun in the water at the time![/quote]

I though the trail descended down almost to the river bank, or possibly to the river bank itself about 100 metres down from the falls. I’m almost certain we walked on the gravel just down from the falls.

Well, there’s only one way to find out!

By the way, you can see the jungly area leading up to the trail in the background of the picture of Kitty (who is pointing), trail_hacker and irishstu that seeker4 posted.

Look like you guys are determined to open a trail in the jungle.

It’s said that a blacksmith at Toucheng, the small town where we pass yesterday, is quite famous for making excellent trail-opening knife. We’d better get one when we do next hike there.

yusan.chonpin.idv.tw/new_page_557.htm
themissing.schtuff.com/people_%E … 8%E7%88%B8
flickr.com/photos/6205/tags/%E6%89%93%E9%90%B5/
album.chonpin.idv.tw/album/album … lbum=10050

I’ve paid some attention to see if this river is OK for rafting. Look quite promising. If water get bigger I’d like hike to the waterfall from top. Then paddle down to trailhead near Daxi.

[quote=“trail_hacker”]Look like you guys are determined to open a trail in the jungle.

It’s said that a blacksmith at Toucheng, the small town where we pass yesterday, is quite famous for making excellent trail-opening knife. We’d better get one when we do next hike there.

themissing.schtuff.com/people_%E … 8%E7%88%B8
flickr.com/photos/6205/tags/%E6%89%93%E9%90%B5/
album.chonpin.idv.tw/album/album … lbum=10050

I’ve paid some attention to see if this river is OK for rafting. Look quite promising. If water get bigger I’d like hike to the waterfall from top. Then paddle down to trailhead near Daxi.[/quote]

It’s a tough slog from the top. I think it took us 3-4 hours including a descent down the slopes with no trail at all.

I don’t want to open a trail. As long as it is overgrown and the only way in is a 3 hour river trace the place will stay pristine.

Just for your information, there’s a second waterfall, with drop of perhaps 20 or 30 meters, farther up the river, and it presents a serious danger to those who would attempt to raft or even river-trace down. It appears quite suddenly as you head down and if you’re not prepared you could be caught in the current and swept over the edge.

Just for your information, there’s a second waterfall, with drop of perhaps 20 or 30 meters, farther up the river, and it presents a serious danger to those who would attempt to raft or even river-trace down. It appears quite suddenly as you head down and if you’re not prepared you could be caught in the current and swept over the edge.[/quote]

There is? Are you talking about the one seeker4 went into? Not so high surely. But yes, a danger. But TH is talking about starting from the waterfall you guys were at.

I think that’s the one, the base of which seeker4 climbed down to. Maybe the drop isn’t that high (perhaps another illusion of distance, like imagining the pool to be bigger than it actually is) but a hiker could certainly fall to his death if he walked a little too far. I remember that the course of the water started sloping down downward more and more until the edge of the falls, and was a little unnerved because we had just been tracing down that way before deciding to take the trail.

That area is worth looking at again in better detail. Perhaps one day we could go down from the farm, scout that area, then go back up. It wasn’t that far from the beginning. The water below the falls seems raftable, but I don’t know if there are any additional falls after that since we bypassed it by climbing up that hill then going down the muddy slope.

[quote=“Chris”]I think that’s the one, the base of which seeker4 climbed down to. Maybe the drop isn’t that high (perhaps another illusion of distance, like imagining the pool to be bigger than it actually is) but a hiker could certainly fall to his death if he walked a little too far. I remember that the course of the water started sloping down downward more and more until the edge of the falls, and was a little unnerved because we had just been tracing down that way before deciding to take the trail.

That area is worth looking at again in better detail. Perhaps one day we could go down from the farm, scout that area, then go back up. It wasn’t that far from the beginning. The water below the falls seems raftable, but I don’t know if there are any additional falls after that since we bypassed it by climbing up that hill then going down the muddy slope.[/quote]

There’s a campsite just a few km from the trailhead at the top. We could spend a weekend there some time and explore.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]
The flat area with the huge rock formation should be about 100 metres back from the waterfall. I remember we only walked a couple minutes on the trail from the rock formation before we saw the waterfall. The only thing between the fall and the big rock formation is the canyon you and I explored. I remember being pissed off that I had not walked down the trail a little longer when I first checked it out or I would have seen the fall.

Do you want to try this weekend if the weather is good?[/quote]

I should be available this weekend, although I was also planning to go diving with snafu one day of the weekend if the weather permits and visibility is good. I will have to find out later this week.

My feet are sore at the moment and I did get a mild sunburn despite two separate applications of high SPF sunscreen, but I wouldn’t mind going there again. It’s a wonderful summer hike to a beautiful location. (In fact, an even earlier start would not be a bad idea.)

My feet still haven’t forgiven me, but it was a great hike.

I have mixed feelings about those shoes. They obvously help a lot and the grip is fantastic. However, as seeker4 mentioned, they are certainly not meant for hiking all day and end up being very punishing on the soles of your feet. I was also thinking of adding some additional protection next time.

MM/Ratlung, if you do decide to head back, please keep a look out for Ken’s sunglasses (Black Oakley-syle, made by “Bolle”, I think). He believes he left them where we changed our shoes at the end of the hike. I know the chances of finding them are slim, but if you go past, well… I’d appreciate it.)

Kitty’s umbrella is missing too - she believes she left it behind when she rearranged her pack. So, on the next visit, we should look out for:

Yellow Nalgene bottle
Black Oakley-style sunglasses
Small foldable umbrella

Kitty’s umbrella is missing too - she believes she left it behind when she rearranged her pack. So, on the next visit, we should look out for:

Yellow Nalgene bottle
Black Oakley-style sunglasses
Small foldable umbrella[/quote]

I believe all attempts to rescue anything will be moot if we’re hit by a typhoon before Saturday.

my feet aren’t sore at all, you guys are just wimps

oh ya and by the way finders keepers