🇦🇺 Australia | Travel to Australia

Hi…

Have anyone travelled to Australia from Taiwan… just for a round trip for a week or two … ?

I tried to search for a flight, just to know the price at different flight-companies, but somehow I was not a succes…

Do anyone know how much a roundtrip to Australia cost… want it as cheap as possible, so economy and flying at odd hours is fine…
And I am not sure what month to travel, but maybe beginning of december og end of november…

And how long does the trip take… ?

cheers, Brian :rainbow:

Brian

Getting to Aus is very simple, almost every airline based in the region can get you there from Taipei.

The only direct flights are Eva Air, China Airlines and i think Qantas.

Cheapest connection i have ever seen from Taipei to Sydney return was about NT$ 15000 via Vietnam Airlines, but required a 11 hour stopover in HCMC, pricing from the lkes of EVa, China, Cathay, SIA etc is likely to be around NT$ 30000 for return trip, and if direct then it is approx an 11 hour flight to Sydney

The approximate 15,000 above doesn’t include the 7,000 tax they’ll charge you. Regardless, Vietnam Airlines still works out to be the cheapest. The planes are cramped and uncomfortable, the inflight entertainment is non-existant, but the food is surprisingly good.

Singapore airlines was offering a cheapy deal recently. China Scarelines does Sydney direct, Eva does Brisbane direct.
Another cheap option is Jetstar Asia to Singapore and then something else to Australia. The flight to Perth is not bad either -closer and great wineries, beaches and scenery:)

The only airline which flies direct to Brisbane is Eva. (Qantas codeshare, operating on Eva). The trip takes about 8 hours and they operate about 4 times a week IIRC

I usually fly Singapore Airlines though (cheap and amazing FF program)
They operate flights daily from Taipei-Singapore (4 hours) and then from Singapore-Brisbane
(7 hours)
Stopover on the way down is usually about 3 hours and the way back is about 2 hours.

Another option is Cathay Pacific.

I personally wouldnt fly Vietnam airlines

The only airline which flies direct to Brisbane is Eva. (Qantas codeshare, operating on Eva). The trip takes about 8 hours and they operate about 4 times a week IIRC

I usually fly Singapore Airlines though (cheap and amazing FF program)
They operate flights daily from Taipei-Singapore (4 hours) and then from Singapore-Brisbane
(7 hours)
Stopover on the way down is usually about 3 hours and the way back is about 2 hours.

Another option is Cathay Pacific.

I personally wouldnt fly Vietnam airlines

Reviving this thread—sixteen years later!—as there are surprisingly few Australia-specific threads on this site.

I’m heading down under next month for a visit. I am not an Australian citizen, but I do have a passport from a fellow Commonwealth nation (ha!). So what do I need to know about entry into Australia? My port of entry will be Melbourne, if that matters. Any quirks or any specific things I need to prepare related to vaccination status, COVID . . . anything at all?

Any help forumosans could provide would be much appreciated.

Guy

2 Likes

I’m a Melburnian and I’m moving back next to month. I was actually there last month for my sister’s wedding as well.

Most first world countries just require to complete an ETA , there’s an app for it now.
Entry/exit operates exactly as it fid before COVID and there are no COVID rules anymore. No one wears masks and no one talks about COVID anymore. The only thing that has really been kept from the pandemic is work from home. Most companies have allowed staff to work from home indefinitely :slight_smile:

Hot Tip: Don’t join the massive lines at the first few smartgate machines. Keep walking past and walk past the duty free store and there are heals of machines with no lines you can use if you keep walking

If you plan on driving, driving laws are strictly enforced and the fines will somehow find you if you leave without paying/didn’t know you had one. People generally follow the speed limits and give way when they’re supposed to. Keep left unless overtaking on a freeway. Fines are comparatively VERY expensive for minor infringements too. Parking signs are very difficult to read but those fines aren’t so expensive. Just don’t park in a towaway zone

Only foreigners go to starbucks for coffee, if you want coffee find a small locally owned cafe.

Very common vocabulary that’s normal in Australia so you should probably say (and definitely not laugh at us when we say these words) if you want to impress some of us :sweat_smile: these are words I would say day to day too

Maccas - McDonalds (you will rarely hear an Aussie say McDonald’s)
Servo - Petrol Station (derived from service station)
Thongs - flip flops
Arvo - afternoon
Kiwi - New Zealander
Chuck a sickie - Call in sick when you’re not sick

2 Likes

Thank you!

I won’t be driving, and when in Melbourne I won’t be visiting Starbucks either. :slightly_smiling_face:

Additional vocabulary I look forward to trying out:

Flat white
Long black

You wrote this:

I’m not sure what this is. Is there an online portal? I prefer not to install more apps onto a phone if this can be avoided.

Thanks again for everything!

Guy

1 Like

Seems like using the app is compulsory now. There used to be an online portal

I’m still not used to calling a long black ‘americano’

1 Like

So . . . every elderly person who arrives in Australia is expected to have a smart phone?

If so, you guys are like Canada in this respect. Consider me . . . unimpressed.

Guy

2 Likes

Some travel agents used to have the ability to help their customers apply for an ETA but I think that stopped when the app was released

I’ll check it out. Thank you again for all your help!

Guy

Oh one last detail I should have mentioned. I’ll be connecting directly at MEL from my international flight to a domestic flight, onward to Canberra. Any tips or tricks to follow as I do so?

Guy

You could do a full tourist visa application online but that would be more hassle than the app

What made you want to go to Canberra? I’ve only been once and it was my primary school graduation trip, we had to go see parliament house :joy:

I don’t have any tips really but Melbourne airport is easy to navigate. If you’re connecting to Qantas or Virgin domestic the Qantas/Virgin Domestic terminals are next to and connected to the international terminal. It’s only a few minutes walk. If you’re connecting to a low-cost airline or REX you will need to hurry a bit, that terminal is much further away and you still need to walk there (maybe 10-15 minute walk).

There isn’t much to do at Melbourne airport really. It’s functional and well laid out but not a very fun or exciting airport

Hot tip number 2: it’s can-brah not can-bare-ah :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

What date/airline are you flying? We might see you on the plan :sweat_smile:

Awesome! Thank you.

I’m working my way through the legalese of this app. It’s already crashed on me. Google Play rating: 2.7/5.0. I think that’s pretty generous. :upside_down_face:

Guy

2 Likes

I’ll DM you.

Guy

Australian immigration processes aren’t a strong point of the country :smiling_face_with_tear: