šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ Australia | Travel to Australia

Why the h&ll is this so complicated. :joy:

Guy

1 Like

Download another precious phone space wasting lame app to enter the country, that is ridiculous. Is this really a thing now?

1 Like

I am now at the part where they are charging me AUD$20 for me inputting my data onto their app.

At least the AUD is relatively cheap compared to other currencies.

Guy

1 Like

If it were me I would just plead ignorance on arrival. Guaranteed to be plenty of obnoxious people like me there, in my experience.

There was also a $60aud exit tax you paid but probably didnā€™t realise as it was included in the price of your ticket.

$$$

Although I paid about $15,000AUD all up for my husbands visa to Australiaā€¦. $20 seems Ok :joy:

UPDATE: My credit card blocked the transaction on this dubious app.

The saga, evidently, will continue . . .

Guy

In Canberra you may want rent a car, I found city spread out and maybe not good to visit without a car. Easy to rent, if your driving permit is in English your good to go (I used my Hawaiian one). Also easy to drive compared to Melbourne (Melb was odd has special tram turn rules in the city), but in Melb free trams in the city centre so no need for a car,

Last in Canberra hope you post something very different and interesting since I did see anything special. Maybe for Aussie residents its the capital and buildings and such have means but for me nothing special, frankly I found Darwin more interesting.

And Darwin I had a better short black (Espresso), try with the black tar on toast with lots of butter. Also try a avocado toastie (local version vs UK one)

You would be deported. Australian immigration is no joke.

Plenty of Americans get deported for having this attitude, watch Border Security

Sorry I donā€™t have a driverā€™s licence. And I promised not to break any laws in Australia as I filled out their app. :person_shrugging:

Guy

2 Likes

All this for Canberra? Hope you can stop in Melbourne for a coffee or something.

1 Like

There has to be another way for elderly, non smart phone users.

1 Like

Yes I have 3-4 days in Melbourne on my way back.

Iā€™m looking forward to checking out this town . . . if I can actually get my credit card situation to work to pay for this visa.

I thought we were supposed to be Commonwealth buddies or something? :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

There is, make a full visa application and pay for an immigration agent to process it for you.
It will cost a hell of a lot more and be a hell of a lot more complicated though.

Or become a New Zealand citizen. They donā€™t require any apps or visa applications

1 Like

Are you sure itā€™s the app and not your credit card thatā€™s blocking the payment?

1 Like

My credit card evidently doesnā€™t want to deal with this app.

I guess Iā€™ll try google pay? :thinking:

Guy

ha, seems so but to me been quite nice! With e gates, most of the time talk to no one, except customs which recently like one question, ā€œWhere ya coming from mateā€ then ā€œYour good to goā€. My Taiwanese co workers like say often, why Aussies like to say ā€œMateā€ so much haha , compared to Brits.

1 Like

Perhaps you need to find out why the CC wont work before trying other methods.

As to the App, be thankful that you are not going to Japan - their one is about as useful as non existant dunny paper in a Taiwan public toilet.

1 Like

Thatā€™s because you did the right thing :wink:
If youā€™re honest they are great. Iā€™ve taken boxes of cigarettes before and never had to pay the duty because I always declared. They just want people to be honest

If you didnā€™t declare theyā€™d force you to pay the duty and a fine

Although they questioned my Australianness when I was re-entering on an emergency passport and couldnā€™t use the smartgateā€¦ as if my accent wasnā€™t enough proof of my Australianness

1 Like

Oh I skipped it during my visit to Tokyo. I filled out some details on a website, printed it up, and cleared immigration, no problem there.

And no cost either.

Guy

Fair question. I donā€™t say it much but my dad likes to call me mate instead of my name :joy:

1 Like