šŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗ Australia | Travel to Australia

I just used Google Pay. It seems to have worked, as I have been granted a visa valid for the next year to enter Australia on the following conditions:

8115 ā€“ Business visitor activity
8201 ā€“ Maximum three months study
8527 ā€“ Tuberculosis free
8528 ā€“ No criminal conviction

Iā€™ll try to stay out of trouble before my flight. :joy:

Guy

1 Like

You didnā€™t get the no work condition!? :joy:

Oh you got the business visitor condition instead

1 Like

I had to agree not to be renumerated for anything, and agree to endless other legalese on the app. I think I broke one of my fingers scrolling through all the terms and conditions . . .

Thank you all for your help! I look forward to the visit.

Guy

2 Likes

I believe it is not a visa, more like the ETA. Apparently canadians can only apply for this ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) which requires a fee, while many European countries, like Italy, can also opt for an eVisitor visa which is free of charge (indeed my sister who went to Sydney didnā€™t need to pay for anything, just applied online and presto, authorised to travel)

So much for Commonwealth privileges. :joy:

Guy

Whoever thought hosting and deploying government apps from Apple or Google stores was a good idea? Letā€™s integrate important government processes into big tech platforms! A web page could do the job just fine.

1 Like

It is a visa, Australia has a universal visa policy. But itā€™s usually treated the same as the Canadian version or the US ESTA

1 Like

I think the only country still giving any privilege to commonwealth citizens (in particular commonwealth realms) is the UK, where you are not technically considered aliens, can vote and stand for elections and can even be created peers to sit at the House of Lords! And naturalisation is more a registration, since your allegiance naturally lies already with the Crown.

1 Like

I think its nice to be call Mate though I hear it a lot. Aussieā€™s have many interesting words or terms for others like Bogan or Hoon (Which is a good term for many Taiwanese drivers haha)

1 Like

For Commonwealth citizens, no real benefit other than voting in the UK in the end.

2 Likes

There are laws called ā€˜Hoon Lawsā€™ :sweat_smile:

Doona - duvet/comforter/blanket
Hard yakka - hard work
Stoked - excited
Ta - thank you. When we teach kids manners they always learn ta as thank you long before they learn thank you.
Budgie smugglers - speedos

2 Likes

So can Fair Dinkum have any bad meanings in OZ,

or only in the USA?

That depends on which part of Canukland you come from.

1 Like

Not at all. ā€˜Heā€™s fair dinkumā€™ is just like ā€˜Heā€™s seriousā€™ or ā€˜Heā€™s not jokingā€™

Unless it has changed in the past few years, the UK was giving Australian Passport holders 6 months Visa Free, as against the 90 days that most others give. The UK also lets Australians use their Medicare Cards too.

1 Like

This is rather ridiculous.

This isnā€™t a commonwealth thing though. Australians can use their medicare cards in Italy, the Netherlands and a few other countries. Itā€™s reciprocal so those citizens can use their countries universal health care in Oz too

1 Like

Yep, there are 11 in all, and its reciprocal too.
What is a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement? | Medibank

1 Like

I think the standard UK visitor visa is six months for everyone, Commonwealth or not.

1 Like

Hello all. Iā€™m soon heading off on my excursion to Australia. Assuming my aircraft is not shot down my errant military fire from you-know-you, I should be down underā€”first in Canberra, then in Melbourneā€”next week.

A specific question for forumosans: are there any reputable coffee roasters in either city I should visit? I wouldnā€™t mind picking up a pound or three of quality beans to bring back if Iā€™m able to do so.

Guy